Java Edition Classic 0.0.13a_03
Original: May 22, 2009
A version of 0.0.13a_03 repackaged with signature files from 2013 is available in the launcher. Another version with a date of 2009 has also been archived, bit-for-bit identical (aside from signature files)[note 1] and with no difference in gameplay.
It is possible that 0.0.13a_01 and 0.0.13a_02 were the two developer builds of 0.0.13a developed post 0.0.13a-launcher, and just mislabeled as 0.0.13a. This theory is highly plausible as no images or videos exist of 0.0.13a other than Notch's own video testing the huge worlds, and the fact that 0.0.13a_03 was compiled at 18:13 UTC, whereas the post from Notch simply stating that "0.0.13a is available" is from 18:34 UTC. This would make 0.0.13a_03 the only publicly released version from the 0.0.13a line.
- Humans no longer spawn on level generation.
- Lava lakes no longer spawn above sea level.
- Pressing ESC while in a menu will exit out of the menu.
- The source code of minecraft.jar is now obfuscated.[note 2]
- Fixed a bug on level saving by updating the LWJGL version.
- Excluding the files in the META-INF folder (signature files, which are unrelated to actual properties of the game), all contents of for the 2009 and 2013 variants of this version were compared at the byte level and found to be exactly identical.
- The variant of 0.0.13a_03 released in 2009 is the earliest version known for certain to have obfuscated code, as confirmed by analysis of clients' .jar files. Code obfuscation might have been first done in a released version as early as 0.0.13a, but this cannot yet as the variant of 0.0.13a released in 2009 is currently lost, so its contents cannot be checked for obfuscation, and the launcher variant of 0.0.13a was likely an earlier development copy of that version, so its lack of obfuscation can prove nothing about the 2009 variant of 0.0.13a that was actually released.
- .jar file has a compilation time of 20:13 UTC+2.
- "Ok, so here's the deal on the problems with level loading" – Notch, May 22, 2009, Tumblr