Java Edition Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3
October 6, 2011
Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3   is the third pre-release for Java Edition 1.0.0, released on October 6, 2011, which adds five new blocks including the brewing stand and enchantment table, as well as the eye of ender, five baby animal variants, XP levels, the enchantment glint effect, and completed potion mechanics. Unlike the client, the server for this version was not reuploaded.
The original version of the Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3 was released shortly before 14:57 UTC on October 6, and featured a crash issue. The first reupload of Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3 was released at around 14:58 UTC, while the second reupload was released at around 15:08 UTC. One of these reuploads was to remove some code relating to the ender dragon.[which?] This was possibly done to avoid leaking information, as the ender dragon had not yet been announced.
- Used to brew potions.
- Unfinished end portal in strongholds.
- Broken end portal frame blocks can be repaired with eyes of ender, though nothing further occurs.
- Currently useless.
- A white cobblestone texture was added to the terrain.png in the spot where end stone would be found in the next pre-release; however it wasn't used by any block yet.
- Can be used to repair end portal frames, although they don't have their locating functionality yet.
- The potion system has been completely revamped.
- Added pie chart detailing CPU usage.
- Placeholder system.
- Enchanted items appear to glimmer, have blue tooltips and have "Enchanted!!" written below tooltip.
- Used to mark the location of strongholds.
- Extended from the stone brick of the stronghold to height limit.
- One pillar marked the location of the main stronghold room, and another marked where the Portal room was.
- When destroyed, drops 3 books.
- Now assigned with block ID.
- Now only carries water instead of being used to make potions.
- More randomly placed chests.
- 1x1 glass pillars protruding from ground to sky limit at the location of strongholds.
- Experience levels
- Now shown above experience bar.
- 1 bug fixed
- Fixed snow golems being able to enter love mode.
Due to a bug, multiplayer servers generate sky dimension chunks starting in this version. The biome of these chunks will be random if saved in multiplayer, however, if they are saved in singleplayer, they will change to plains biomes, no matter if snow had generated in the chunks. This was fixed by 1.0.0.
- "@jeb_ @notch Instant 1.9 Pre3 crash. Spawned with weird items, like bookshelves. Stuck on saving chunks and black screen." – @cscherme, October 6, 2011 (15:00 UTC) – reply to a deleted tweet
- "New attempt! Me and @notch have now added prerelease 3 of Beta 1.9 at http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre3/minecraft.jar" – @jeb_, October 6, 2011 (14:58 UTC)
- "Third time's the charm! Minecraft Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre3/minecraft.jar" – @jeb_, October 6, 2011 (15:08 UTC)