Java Edition Beta 1.8 Pre-release
September 9, 2011
|Other editions of 1.8-pre1|
Beta 1.8 Pre-release is the first pre-release for Beta 1.8.
|This section is a stub, meaning that it lacks some important information. You can help by expanding it with further information relating to the topic. |
Reason: Missing some additions
- A thin variant of glass.
- Crafted using 6 glass.
- Drops itself when destroyed.
- Connect to fences.
- Open when used.
- Come in regular, cracked, and mossy varieties.
- Occur naturally in strongholds. The different bricks are all called stone bricks in-game. The regular stone bricks can be crafted into stone brick slabs and stairs.
- Can grow to nearby blocks.
- Dropped by chickens.
- Dropped by zombies.
- Dropped by endermen.
- Currently have no use.
- Have the ability to teleport.
- Extreme Hills
- Oceans existed in previous versions, however now they exist as an actual biome, spanning thousands of blocks.
- The player can now set their field of view in the options via the FOV slider. It can be set from 70 (default) to 110 (Quake Pro).
- Debug keys
- F6 and F7 move time forwards and backwards, respectively.
- Triangular ferns no longer generate naturally.
- Shears can now be used to harvest shrubs.
- Raw beef has a new texture. It is not known what the old texture was, since raw beef did not exist prior to this update.
- Cooked porkchop has a new texture.
- Pigs' snouts now extrude from their model, rather than being flat.
- Biomes are now much bigger and more flat.
- Hills and mountains tend not to generate as much, except in the new extreme hills biome.
- They are no longer aligned based on temperature and humidity, instead their distribution is random.
- Seasonal forest
- Ice desert
- Ice deserts did not generate in previous versions, so their removal was not noticeable.
- Gravel beach
Beta 1.8 Pre-release was re-uploaded approximately 24 hours after its initial release to fix bugs and remove some debug features. Features and bugs present in the initial version include:
- Villages do not generate correctly. Only the wells, gravel paths, and lampposts generate; houses do not generate.
- Various models often become corrupted.
- Screenshots can sometimes fail to save, printing an error into the chat:
Failed to save: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Number of remaining buffer elements is x, must be at least y. Because at most y elements is required, regardless of actual returned element count, where
yare two numbers, with
ybeing less than
x. This bug seems to occur after changing the resolution of the game window, and can be solved by making the window smaller.
- The world can sometimes fail to save, resulting in lost progress when quitting.
- Various debug keys exist.
- F9 freezes the camera in its current position.
- F6, while also turning back time, enables a strange "bouncy" movement. It locks the player's y coordinate (meaning they cannot jump or fall). It makes the player accelerate relatively slowly when moving. Additionally, blocks lose their collision, however the player is still affected by solid blocks trying to push them out (as observed in normal gameplay), though if the player is moving quickly enough they can push all the way through a block.
- N and M change the view's rotation clockwise and anti-clockwise, respectively. Hold both keys simultaneously resets the rotation.
- Y and H decrease and increase the field of view, respectively. These keys seem to affect the field of view differently to how the FOV option does - the player's hand (or anything the player is holding) will also become stretched as the field of view increases or decreases, which does not happen if the player changes the FOV option in the menu. Holding both keys simultaneously resets the field of view.
- I makes the player look up, J looks left, K looks down, and L looks right. These movements are normally done by moving the mouse. This setting cannot be reset by holding any keys simultaneously.
- U and O moves the third-person camera forwards and backwards, respectively. This setting cannot be reset by holding both keys simultaneously.