Java Edition Beta 1.8 Pre-release
September 9, 2011
Beta 1.8 Pre-release is the first pre-release for Java Edition Beta 1.8, that was released on September 9, 2011.
- Crafted using 6 glass.
- Drops itself when destroyed.
- Connect to fences.
- Open when used.
- Come in regular, cracked, and mossy varieties.
- Occur naturally in strongholds. The different bricks are all called stone bricks in-game. The regular stone bricks can be crafted into stone brick slabs and stairs.
- Can grow to nearby blocks.
- Drop silverfish when broken.
- Drop bricks.
- Drop stone bricks.
- Drop their corresponding mushroom.
- Drop melon slices when mined.
- Dropped by Chickens.
- Dropped by Cows.
- Dropped by Endermen.
- Currently have no use.
- Drops from melon blocks.
- Have the ability to teleport.
- Makes Zombie sounds
- Endermen are able to carry every block including Bedrock and Obsidian
- Endermans eyes are green instead of purple
- The Endermans purple particles were instead smoke particles
- Appears when the player breaks Infested Blocks.
- Inflicts Poison on the player.
- Extreme Hills
- Oceans existed in previous versions, however, now they exist as an actual biome, spanning thousands of blocks.
- Activated by double-tapping W.
- Currently has no use.
- Activated by using a sword.
- Negates 50% of the incoming damage.
- Critical hits
- Increases darkness at extreme depths.
- Do not show off particles.
- They do not have inventory sprites.
- Added obtainable status effects:
- Added unobtainable status effects, but are functional:
- Added unobtainable and nonfunctional status effects:
- Debug keys
- F6 and F7 move time forwards and backwards, respectively.
- Revamped the main menu by adding an animated menu panorama. The menu panorama uses seed
2151901553968352745in terrain generated using the generator last seen in Beta 1.7.3 at coordinates (61, 75, -68).
- The player can now set their field of view in the options via the FOV slider. It can be set from 70 (default) to 110 (Quake Pro).
- The ability to save and view multiple servers has now been added.
- Added the following splash text:
- Jeb has amazing hair!
- Casual gaming!
- Kinda like Lemmings!
- Follow the train, CJ!
- Leveraging synergy!
- This message will never appear on the splash screen, isn't that weird?
- DungeonQuest is unfair!
- Check out the far lands!
- Tyrian would love it!
- Also try VVVVVV!
- Also try Super Meat Boy!
- Also try Terraria!
- Also try Mount And Blade!
- Also try Project Zomboid!
- Also try World of Goo!
- Also try Limbo!
- Also try Pixeljunk Shooter!
- Also try Braid!
- That's super!
- Bread is pain!
- Read more books!
- Less addictive than TV Tropes!
- More addictive than lemonade!
- Bigger than a bread box!
- Millions of peaches!
- This is my true form!
- Totally forgot about Dre!
- Don't bother with the clones!
- Hobo humping slobo babe!
- Triangular ferns no longer generate naturally.
- Added an opening and closing animation with a new chest model.
- The chest's texture is no longer in the terrain.png file. Instead, it is in the folder "item" under "chest.png" and "chestlarge.png", with the former being a chest on its own and the latter being the large chest.
- Are now tile entities, which means they no longer show the block breaking animation and are also now slightly smaller than they were before.
- Now change the direction they face based on the viewpoint of the player.
- Can now be found in mineshafts and strongholds.
- No longer despawn.
- Can now be used to harvest shrubs.
- Fixed stairs, cactus, farmland, pressure plate, fence, cake, snow layer, button, and trapdoor items being too big.
- Their snouts now extrude from their model, rather than being flat.
- Removed the mob as an entity, however, their AI is still in the code.
- The bows of skeletons are now larger and held realistically (full-sized bows, two-handed, and pulling the arrow back).
- Skeletons now fire arrows slower, but further.
- Biomes are now much bigger and more flat.
- Hills and mountains tend not to generate as much, except in the new extreme hills biome.
- They are no longer aligned based on temperature and humidity, instead their distribution is random.
- Sea level
- Now one block lower.
- Now emit shockwave particles.
- No longer require chunk updates and is a smooth transition.
- Unarmed damage was decreased from 2 to 1.
- Entities are now lit in the void.
- Color of the void now changes from blue to black while descending.
- The player's spawn point is now bound to a specific biome rather than to any sand block. The player can spawn in forest, swamp and taiga biomes.
- The ability to see the level's seed has now been added to the debug screen.
- Entity numbers being shown above a mob's head have now been removed from the debug screen.
- Implemented a new lighting engine. The lighting on a block is given a tint based on the most prominent source of light.
- Artificial light now gives a very subtle "flicker".
- Added the brightness option.
- Removed duplicate "Check it out!"
- Seasonal Forest
- Rain Forest
- Savanna (old)
- Ice Desert
- These did not generate in previous versions, so their removal was not noticeable.
- Beach (old)
- Gravel beach
- The famous high-distance world rendering offset bug has been fixed (except for moving pistons)
- Redstone repeater top faces are no longer weirdly broken
- Rails, powered rails and detector rails are no longer stretched
- Ladders are no longer offset nor stretched
- Upwards travelling redstone wire no longer appears offset from the block it's on
- The side faces of flowing water and lava are no longer broken
- Has now been moved to 30,000,000, from 32,000,000
Beta 1.8 Pre-release was reuploaded approximately 24 hours after its initial release to fix bugs and remove some debug features. Features and bugs present in the initial version include:
- Villages do not generate correctly. Only the wells, gravel paths, and lampposts generate; houses do not generate.
- Various models often become corrupted.
- Screenshots can sometimes fail to save, printing an error into the chat:
Failed to save: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Number of remaining buffer elements is x, must be at least y. Because at most y elements is required, regardless of actual returned element count, where
yare two numbers, with
ybeing less than
x. This bug seems to occur after changing the resolution of the game window, and can be solved by making the window smaller.
- The world can sometimes fail to save, resulting in lost progress when quitting.
- Various debug keys exist.
- F9 freezes the camera in its current position.
- F6, while also turning back time, enables a strange "bouncy" movement. It locks the player's y coordinate (meaning they cannot jump or fall). It makes the player accelerate relatively slowly when moving. Additionally, blocks lose their collision, however the player is still affected by solid blocks trying to push them out (as observed in normal gameplay), though if the player is moving quickly enough they can push all the way through a block.
- N and M change the view's rotation clockwise and anti-clockwise, respectively. Holding both keys simultaneously resets the rotation.
- Y and H decrease and increase the field of view, respectively. These keys seem to affect the field of view differently to how the FOV option does - the player's hand (or anything the player is holding) will also become stretched as the field of view increases or decreases, which does not happen if the player changes the FOV option in the menu. Holding both keys simultaneously resets the field of view.
- I makes the player look up, J looks left, K looks down, and L looks right. These movements are normally done by moving the mouse. This setting cannot be reset by holding any keys simultaneously.
- U and O moves the third-person camera forwards and backwards, respectively. This setting cannot be reset by holding both keys simultaneously.
- Beta 1.8 Pre-release is the first pre-release for Minecraft.
- This version was really glitched before reupload (see images).
A glitched village.
A glitched pig model.
A glitched cow model.
A glitched chicken model.
A glitched creeper model.
A glitched player model.
A glitched ghast model.
- "BIG NEWS! We have found the SEED of Minecraft's title-screen background PANORAMA!" – u/Tomlacko on Reddit, July 18, 2020