Java Edition Beta 1.8/Development versions
- 1 Beta 1.8 Pre-release
- 2 Beta 1.8 Pre-release 2 ;)
- 3 Notes and references
This is a list of Java Edition Beta 1.8 development versions.
Beta 1.8 Pre-release is the first pre-release for Java Edition Beta 1.8, that was released on September 9, 2011.
- Crafted using 6 glass.
- Drops itself when destroyed.
- Connect to fences.
- Open when used.
- Come in regular, cracked, and mossy varieties.
- Occur naturally in strongholds. The different bricks are all called stone bricks in-game. The regular stone bricks can be crafted into stone brick slabs and stairs.
- Can grow to nearby blocks.
- Drop silverfish when broken.
- Drop bricks.
- Drop stone bricks.
- Drop melon slices.
- Dropped by chickens.
- Dropped by zombies.
- Dropped by endermen.
- Currently have no use.
- Drops from melon blocks.
- Have the ability to teleport.
- Extreme Hills
- Oceans existed in previous versions, however now they exist as an actual biome, spanning thousands of blocks.
- Activated by double-tapping W.
- Currently has no use.
- Activated by using a sword.
- Negates 50% of the incoming damage.
- Critical hits
- Increases darkness at extreme depths.
- Do not shows off particles.
- They do not have inventory sprites.
- Added obtainable status effects:
- Added unobtainable status effects, but are functional:
- Added unobtainable and nonfunctional status effects:
- The player can now set their field of view in the options via the FOV slider. It can be set from 70 (default) to 110 (Quake Pro).
- Debug keys
- F6 and F7 move time forwards and backwards, respectively.
- The ability to save and view multiple servers has now been added.
- Triangular ferns no longer generate naturally.
- Added an opening and closing animation with a new chest model.
- The chest's texture is no longer in the terrain.png file. Instead, it is in the folder "item" under "chest.png" and "chestlarge.png", with the former being a chest on its own and the latter being the large chest.
- Are now tile entities, which means they no longer show the block breaking animation and are also now slightly smaller than they were before.
- Now change the direction they face based on the viewpoint of the player.
- Can now be found in abandoned mineshafts and strongholds.
- No longer despawn.
- Can now be used to harvest shrubs.
- Their snouts now extrude from their model, rather than being flat.
- Removed the mob as an entity, however their AI is still in the code.
- The bows of skeletons are now larger and held realistically (full-sized bows, two-handed, and pulling the arrow back).
- Skeletons now fire arrows slower, but further.
- Biomes are now much bigger and more flat.
- Hills and mountains tend not to generate as much, except in the new extreme hills biome.
- They are no longer aligned based on temperature and humidity, instead their distribution is random.
- Sea level
- Now one block lower.
- Now emit also shockwave particles.
- No longer require chunk updates and is a smooth transition.
- Entities are now lit in the void.
- Color of the void now changes from blue to black while descending.
- The player's spawn point is now bound to a specific biome rather than to any sand block. The player can spawn in forest, swamp and taiga biomes.
- The ability to see the level's seed has now been added to the debug screen.
- Entity numbers being shown above a mob's head have now been removed from the debug screen.
- Implemented a new lighting engine. The lighting on a block is given a tint based on the most prominent source of light.
- Artificial light now gives a very subtle "flicker".
- Added the brightness option.
- Seasonal forest
- Ice desert
- Ice deserts did not generate in previous versions, so their removal was not noticeable.
- Gravel beach
- Their density is now significantly decreased
- To counter this change they generate about 2.5 times as often
- Increased stronghold count to three per map instead of one
- Blocking now works in multiplayer.
- Creative inventory
- Some of the missing blocks are now on the creative selection screen
- The player can no longer eat in creative
- Chickens and cows killed by burning now drop their cooked meat
- Squid now drop experience orbs when killed
- "Generated Structures" is now on by default
- Holding shift while grabbing a crafting output now automatically takes the maximum amount of outputs from the ingredients it was given.
- Bone Meal
- Can now be used on pumpkin and melon seeds
- Huge mushrooms can only be made if a mushroom is planted on grass or dirt
- Vines spread infinitely down now, but do not spread if there are more than four other vine blocks nearby.
- Cracked and mossy stone bricks now drop themselves instead of regular stone bricks.
- Adjusted fog strength at low altitudes to be less extreme
- F6 and F7 working as a result of left-in debug code being removed
- Fog key mapped to F
7 bugs fixed
- Fixed endermen having client-side problems in multiplayer
- Sprinting with right-click or sneaking is now fixed
- Fixed furnace tile entity crash
- Fixed leaving the crafting table with items on the grid creating phantom blocks
- Fixed singleplayer chunk memory leak
- Fixed vines and leaves no crashing the game when placed in the Nether
- Fixed farmlands rejecting melon and pumpkin seeds
Notes and references