Java Edition Beta 1.8
Adventure Update (Part 1)
September 14, 2011
Beta 1.8, the first release of the Adventure Update, is a major version of Java Edition Beta released on September 14, 2011, which introduced features that focused mainly on fighting, exploration, and adventuring, as well as other aspects.
- Spawns one silverfish when broken.
- Has no name.
- Drops their corresponding mushroom
- Drops itself when destroyed.
- Connect to fences.
- Open when used.
- Stone brick stairs now drop either stone bricks, cracked stone bricks, mossy stone bricks or a type of stone bricks, which looks regular, but does not stack, when broken due to the data value (facing direction) carrying over:
|Stair Data Value (Direction of the stairs' full-block side)||Dropped Item|
|0 (east)||Stone Bricks|
|1 (west)||Mossy Stone Bricks|
|2 (south)||Cracked Stone Bricks|
|3 (north)||Stone Bricks, does not stack with other stone bricks.|
- Restores 6 () hunger.
- Cooked raw chicken.
- Restores 3 () hunger.
- Dropped from cows.
- An item which doesn't serve any purpose in the game for now, and had an uncentered icon.
- New seed type that grows melons.
- Can only be found in abandoned mineshaft chests.
- Restores 2 () hunger.
- Harvested from melons.
- Can be used to get melon seeds back.
- New seed type that produces pumpkins.
- Cannot be obtained from a pumpkin as of now, only available in abandoned mineshaft chests.
- Smaller variant of spiders.
- Has a chance of poisoning the player
- New tall mob.
- As a placeholder, endermen used zombie sounds.
- Are able to teleport and pick up blocks.
- Changed from the last pre-release so now they have purple eyes instead of green eyes and emit portal particles instead of smoke particles
- A small hostile mob.
- Adds to the player's total experience when collected.
- Entity ID is
- Plays low-pitched item pickup sound upon collecting.
- The support beams are wood planks.
- Unpopulated as of now.
- Do not generate naturally.
- Can be artificially created by applying bone meal to a brown or red mushroom.
- New fractal-based biome code.
- Biomes got an overhaul, adding and removing some biomes while making all of them more vast than before. Biomes became more distinct terrain-wise, and most biomes were made to be much flatter than before.
- Larger than before.
- Larger than before.
- Extreme Hills [note 2]
- Replaces old mountains (generated structures).
- Wolves now spawn more often.
- No longer generates with snow due to problems with the new generator.
- Has an exclusive type of oak trees with vines.
- Flows through/in between biomes.
- Only available in creative mode.
- Press space twice to toggle flying.
- Added: "Kill a skeleton with an arrow at 50 meters".
- Hold-to-charge bows.
- Critical hits.
- Players can parry with a sword by holding Right Mouse
- Hostile mobs perform attack animations.
- Mobs killed by players drop tiny flashing experience orbs that add to the experience bar.
- New food system.
- There is now a food meter.
- Food no longer heals directly, but indirectly: if the food meter is above 90%, heals every 4 seconds.
- Food level decreases when sprinting, jumping and when being hurt.
- If the food meter is at 0%, the player starves and loses hearts every 4 seconds.
- Do not show off particles.
- They do not have inventory sprites.
- Added obtainable status effects:
- Added unobtainable status effects, but are functional:
- Added unobtainable and nonfunctional status effects:
- New way to travel.
- Gives the player a boost in speed.
- The player can now jump four blocks horizontally while sprinting.
- Updated Mojang logo.
- Performing a critical hit on any mob will cause 'sparks' to fly.
- Explosion particles are now shockwaves instead of smoke.
- Tiny stationary bubble particles can be seen when underwater.
- Fog is now thicker and darker deep underground, and gives off particles. Due to this, the void appears black.
- Added the following splash text:
- Jeb has amazing hair!
- Casual gaming!
- Kinda like Lemmings!
- Follow the train, CJ!
- Leveraging synergy!
- This message will never appear on the splash screen, isn't that weird?
- DungeonQuest is unfair!
- Check out the far lands!
- Tyrian would love it!
- Also try VVVVVV!
- Also try Super Meat Boy!
- Also try Terraria!
- Also try Mount And Blade!
- Also try Project Zomboid!
- Also try World of Goo!
- Also try Limbo!
- Also try Pixeljunk Shooter!
- Also try Braid!
- That's super!
- Bread is pain!
- Read more books!
- Less addictive than TV Tropes!
- More addictive than lemonade!
- Bigger than a bread box!
- Millions of peaches!
- This is my true form!
- Totally forgot about Dre!
- Don't bother with the clones!
- Hobo humping slobo babe!
- User-placed leaves no longer decay.
- Can now be placed on fences
- Improved model for when the torch is placed on walls.
- Eating food now restores hunger instead of health (but keeps the same amount).
- All food items (except mushroom stew) are now stackable.
- Now takes 1.6 seconds to consume, accompanied with an animation.
- Damage in accordance with the charging time.
- Now restores 8 () hunger instead of 10 health.
- Now restores 10 () hunger instead of 20 × 10 health.
- Now gives the player the Regeneration status effect for 30 seconds.
- Animals no longer despawn which makes it possible to capture them.
- Arrows that hit a mob visually "stick" into the mob rather than just disappear.
- Passive mobs will randomly flee if attacked by the player or other mobs (such as wolves).
- Now drop experience when killed by a player or a tamed wolf.
- Removed the mob as an entity.
- Its AI is the only thing that remains of the mob.
- Changed bounding box height from 0.4 blocks to 0.7 blocks
- Now drop 1 raw chicken.
- If on fire, they drop cooked chicken instead.
- Now fire arrows slightly slower to be consistent with the change of the bow.
- Their arrows are shot with more force.
- Now hold full-size bows.
- Skeleton arrows originate from about their eyes to the bow, instead of above the head.
- Changed the terrain generator.
- No longer generate due to the change of the world generation.
- Removed Rain Forests.
- Removed Seasonal Forests.
- Removed Savannas.
- Removed Shrublands.
- Removed Tundras.
- Removed Ice Deserts.
- Removed real Beaches.
- Ice deserts did not generate in previous versions, so their removal was not noticeable.
- Creative mode can now be accessed using the "create new world" screen, and no longer requires a code modification to access.
- Some code rewritten.
- New creative inventory GUI.
- Looks similar to survival inventory, with drag and drop interface.
- Some non-block items are now available in the inventory.
- Grass is now available in the inventory.
- The player can drag items and blocks outside of the GUI to spawn them in dropped item entity form.
- Previously, it was not possible to do these things in creative, but now is:
- Kill/damage mobs
- Kill/damage players who are in survival mode
- Break bedrock
- Take damage (via falling out of the world)
- Mobs now spawn, previously, they would only spawn in Survival mode.
- Holding the left mouse button with a weapon will now only swing once.
- Holding the right mouse button to place blocks is slightly slower than before.
- ⇧ Shift+Clicking the output item in a crafting square will craft all the items at once, and automatically places them in the inventory.
- Player list in multiplayer, defaults to Tab ↹.
- Height raised to the top of the map.
- Can no longer phase through blocks.
- Movement now syncs with the game's time.
- Unarmed damage was decreased from 2 to 1 (reverting to the behavior from before Beta 1.5).[note 3]
- The game now keeps track of damage sources and types.
- No longer requires chunk updates and is a smooth transition.
- The lighting on a block is given a tint based on the most prominent source of light
- Reddish from artificial light sources.
- Artificial light now gives a very subtle 'flicker'.
- Blue from moonlight.
- Total darkness keeps the same black tint.
- Sunlight gives the same white tint.
- Reddish from artificial light sources.
- Changed to be less volatile.
- Armor bar moved to above hearts, due to hunger bar.
- Improved lighting system.
- The 'Multiplayer join screen' has been improved, mainly with a server list.
- Clouds change color during sunrise and sunset to match the sky color.
- Horizon, specifically haze changes color more vividly during sunset and sunrise.
- Mobs are no longer visibly labeled with their entity ID
- The world's numeric seed is displayed in a field below player position.
- Changing fog by hotkey now requires debug-view to be open in addition to pressing F.
- The version tag appears in-game again.
- The main menu's background is now an animated scene.
- The version tag is now displayed on the bottom-left rather than the top-left.
- New sliders for Field of View and Brightness.
- 4 new entries in control list
- "Attack", "Use Item", and "Pick Block" can now be remapped.
- Operators can switch back and forth between survival and creative mode.
- Removed duplicate "Check it out!"
9 bugs fixed
- The ⇧ Shift + Click crash bug from 1.8 Prerelease 2 is fixed.
- Fixed redstone circuits not working after
/time set xglitch is now fixed in multiplayer.
- Destroying boats and minecarts now creates particles.
- Ghast attack sounds are fixed multiplayer.
- The Far Lands have been removed; there is now only void.
- Fixed stairs, cactus, and trapdoor items being too big.
- Fixed the "smart farms" glitch where the hitbox of a fence would extend past the hitbox of tilled soil and prevent it from reverting to dirt when walked on.
- Fixed several crash bugs relating to pistons.
- Increased the z-buffer from 8-bit to 24-bit, fixing graphical issues with AMD graphics cards.
- Now called Melon Slice.
- Now called Mountains.
- This change occurred between the last development version for Beta 1.8, Prerelease 2, and the full release of Beta 1.8.
- "Minecraft Beta 1.8" – MCUpdate, September 14, 2011, Tumblr
- "BIG NEWS! We have found the SEED of Minecraft's title-screen background PANORAMA!" – u/Tomlacko on Reddit, July 18, 2020
- "Also, if you want to, you can make mods able to enter creative mode on a server running in another game mode." – @notch, June 28, 2011