Java Edition Beta 1.6/Development versions
This is a list of Java Edition Beta 1.6 development versions.
Beta 1.6 Test Build 3 was a version used to test Beta 1.6 the day before its release. It was never officially released to the public. However, both the client and the server are packed in a ZIP archive that can be found on the legacy update server to this day.
- Found in Deserts.
- Found in certain biomes.
- Seeds are now found in grass; using a hoe on the ground no longer yields seeds.
- Has the same characteristics as grass.
- Lets the player scope out different biomes.
- Added "It's groundbreaking!"
- Added "Let our battle's begin!"
- Added "The sky is the limit!"
- Added new settings:
- Added Nether support.
- Blocks destroyed by other players in multiplayer now show the breaking block particle effect.
- It's no longer possible to build solid blocks on the top layer of the map.
- Blocks that don't change appearance when the data changes don't send block updates when their data changes now.
- Trying to sleep in the nether causes the bed to explode.
- When activated, it will make sounds and trigger particles in multiplayer.
- Now make sound for other players in multiplayer.
- Has been severely nerfed so it spreads slower, and doesn't spread infinitely.
- Now regenerates regardless of whether it's snowing or not
- Now supports more than 15 different music discs.
- No additional music discs were added until Java Edition 1.0.0.
- Now spread, albeit slowly.
- Now speedier to offset the loss of glitch-boosters.
- Below a layer of source blocks no longer behaves like source blocks.
- When shot by one player, can now be picked up by other players.
- Can't go through portals that are empty or occupied.
- The lighting on block icons in the inventory has been changed to appear brighter.
- When stuck in walls, will slide towards the nearest gap if there is one.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking while crafting makes as much as possible and moves it straight to player's inventory.
- ⇧ Shift+clicking something in player's inventory will push it directly in player's hot bar and vice-versa.
- Network traffic
- Compressed network traffic more aggressively.
- Added support for
- A line of chests will generate near the spawn point, containing a full stack of each item and block excluding items that can't be stacked.
While modern versions of Minecraft are hosted on
s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download, this version is hosted on
s3.amazonaws.com/MinecraftDownload (without the period). At first it may seem that this site is not owned by Mojang, but it can be verified as Mojang-owned in several ways:
- The legacy Minecraft launcher (from 2013) uses this site to update, which can be verified through a decompiler.
- Minecraft Classic was loaded from
s3.amazonaws.com/MinecraftDownload/classic/minecraft.jarwhen it could still be accessed on minecraft.net.
Notes and references
- While the page for classic is no longer accessible, archived versions do include this link.