As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
Java Edition Alpha v1.2.0
October 30, 2010
Alpha v1.2.0, also known as the Halloween Update, was released with server 0.2.2 on October 30, 2010, adding the Nether along with new Nether-exclusive mobs and blocks. It also added fishing, a new terrain generator, and other changes and fixes. This version is listed in the launcher, but attempting to play it downloads Alpha v1.2.0_02 instead.
- Craftable item that tells the time
- When one pigman is attacked all nearby pigmen will retaliate and attack the player.
- Hold gold swords.
- New terrain generator, featuring biomes
- A biome that has sand and a lot of water.
- A biome that has snow and ice. Earlier there was Winter mode but that was removed in this version.
- A biome that barely has trees.
- A biome that spawns in hills.
- A small biome that spawns in forests and rains a lot.
- A biome that is denser than a forest biome. It only spawns oak trees, unlike Forest biome.
- A small biome that barely has trees and shrubs.
- Added new music tracks and sound effects.
- Added new splashes:
- Slow acting portals!
- Try the Nether!
- Don't look directly at the bugs!
- Oh, ok, Pigmen!
- Finally with ladders!
- Now face the same direction as the player when placed.
- Are now darker in shade, and their color is now dependent on temperature/precipitation values.
- Higher lighting values are required the deeper they are to keep mobs from spawning.
- Now have new sounds.
- Now hold bows.
- Completely removed from mob spawning code.
- Sunrise now creates a red glow at the horizon.
- Pressing F1 hides the HUD and the view-model from the person's view. In third person mode, pressing F1 will create a view looking back at the player's own face.