Java Edition Alpha v1.2.0
October 30, 2010
Alpha v1.2.0 (preview)
Alpha v1.2.0, also known as the Halloween Update, was released with server 0.2.2 on October 30, 2010, adding the Nether along with new Nether-exclusive mobs and blocks. It also added fishing, a new terrain generator, and other changes and fixes. This version is listed in the launcher, but attempting to play it downloads Alpha v1.2.0_02 instead.
- Craftable item that tells the time
- Large white mobs that float around in the Nether.
- Shoots fireballs at the player
- When one pigman is attacked all nearby pigmen will retaliate and attack the player.
- Hold gold swords.
- New terrain generator, featuring biomes
- Changed the "depth noise scale" from 100 to 200.
- A hell-like dimension that can be used for quick travel.
- Added new music tracks and sound effects.
- Added "Slow acting portals!".
- Added "Try the Nether!".
- Added "Don't look directly at the bugs!".
- Added "Oh, ok, Pigmen!".
- Added "Finally with ladders!".
- Added "Scary!".
- Now face the same direction as the player when placed.
- Are now darker in shade, and their color is now dependent on temperature/precipitation values.
- Higher lighting values are required the deeper they are to keep mobs from spawning.
- Now have new sounds.
- Now hold bows.
- Completely removed from mob spawning code.
- Sunrise now creates a red glow at the horizon.
- Pressing F1 hides the HUD and the view-model from the person's view. In third person mode, pressing F1 will create a view looking back at the player's own face.