Java Edition 1.4.6
Pre-release: December 17, 2012
1.4.6 is an update to Minecraft (Java Edition) that was released on December 20, 2012. It introduced fireworks, enchanted books and the Thorns enchantment. It also added a warning for users playing on soon-to-be unsupported systems (PowerPC and Java 5). While it was not the last update to 1.4, it was the last one before the snapshots of 1.5 started.
A pre-release version of 1.4.6 was released on December 17, 2012; this pre-release version was later re-uploaded to fix an issue with mobs spinning. The release version of 1.4.6 differs from the reuploaded pre-release by fixing a crash issue.
- Crafted using nether bricks.
- Enchant books to receive a single enchantment on them.
- Can be applied to items using anvils, consuming the book.
- Enchants can be applied to any item in Creative mode.
- Sold by villagers and found in dungeon and village chests.
- Can now be found in loot chests and by trading with villagers.
- Unbreaking can be applied to anything with durability.
- Efficiency and Silk Touch can be applied to shears, allowing the harvesting of cobwebs.
- Sharpness, Smite, and Bane of Arthropods can be applied to axes.
- Used to create firework rockets.
- Combine gunpowder with dyes to get a firework star with those colors used for the sparkles.
- Add glowstone, a fire charge, a diamond, a gold nugget, feather, or a mob head to make the firework twinkling, big, trailing, star-shaped, bursting, or creeper-shaped, respectively.
- Craft a firework star with dye to change the color that the sparkles fade to.
- Non-destructive, rise up in the air, and create colorful patterns when shot by dispensers or placed by players.
- Combine paper with gunpowder to craft a firework rocket.
- Add a firework star to add effects, or gunpowder to increase the flight duration.
- A new armor enchantment.
- Deals damage depending on tier to attackers.
- Wears armor out more quickly.
- Can now spawn differently configured mobs with different spawn chances
- A high pitched sound is now played when a player hits another player from far away with a bow.[note 1]
- Fireballs' blast radius can now be customized
- The armor and enchants they spawn with now are even harder on harder difficulties.
- Now render from farther away.
- Now render in 3D when using fancy graphics.
- Now have a random chance to have enchanted books in their chests.
- Items can now be dragged and dropped.
- Long pressing will halve the stack before dragging.
- Items now show their name when switching in the hotbar.
- Can be disabled by changing
heldItemTooltipsto false in options.txt.
- Can be disabled by changing
- Dropping items while holding ctrl now drops the whole stack.
- Fire Protection now extinguishes fire more quickly.
- Blast Protection now reduces explosion recoil.
- Protection is not as protective as it used to be in order to make specific enchantments more worthwhile.
- Pressing use while sneaking now uses the held item instead of the currently selected block.
- Now appear in server log files.
- Added a default resolution setting to options.txt:
- Added an option to toggle touchscreen mode.[note 1]
- XP – [1-9]-clicking an item out of a furnace does not give
- – Mobs walking slow when you hit them
- – Graphical issue with trading
- farmlands to dirt even if mobGriefing gamerule is set on false – Mobs can still revert
- – Item textures of spawn eggs and firework stars not aligned properly when stacked
- – Bats get stuck when flying through water
- enderman on fire with flint and steel or lava will not make it teleport away – Setting an
- – Items that are different only in damage cannot be swapped
- – Water splash sound gets overridden by other sounds
- fire do not flee – Animals on
- – Player not shown in actual location after breaking boat
- – Inventory items are lost
- – Mis-identified server version
- – Fresh install of 1.4.2 on fresh install of OSX 10.6.8 hangs
- – Boats always get placed in the same direction and not based on how they get placed
- Endermen are set on fire when trying to dodge arrows on fire –
- the Nether, the game auto-selects the first item on the toolbar – When you enter
- – Items do not "update looks" when stacked on ground
- – Dropped items only auto-stack when moving, not when going through portals
- – File Handle leak in RegionFileCache (MCP)
- – Z-fighting in beacon block's bottom.
- – Duplicating falling blocks (sand, gravel, dragon eggs...) still works with tweaks to an existing design
- Leaves have an incorrect tooltip –
- – Destroying a Jukebox NPE&Kick
- – Minecraft graphics messed up
- – Placing double slabs ignore damage values
- – Minecarts cannot travel through nether portals
- creative – "Drowning" in
- – Bug with redstone's direction
- – Enchant cannot enchant with ID 0 (Protection)
- – Ghost block bug
- – Game freezes at the start of a previously saved game
- – Cannot modify the render distance setting - stays at "Far" regardless of changes.
- – Shift-clicking smelted ores out of furnace cause minor visual bug
- – Cannot look around while walking/sprinting unless jumping at first (happens on all gamemodes)
- – Minecraft client crashes when connection times out
- – Minecarts disappearing
Failed to login: Error
– Error 50% of the time when trying to join a server.
- – Zombie pigman's knockback stunlocks iron golem's defeating their intended purpose
- – Cannot change texture packs
- – Crash due to blaze fireballs
- – Some textures appear as dark terrain.png images
- – The XP sound doesn't play after getting each 5th level
- – Minecraft crashing every time I get on for a little while
- Minecarts and falling entities flickering / jittering (updated 1.4.5) –
- – Passive mob spawn eggs don't consume
- Endermen don't open their mouth when attacked by other mobs –
- – Lightning doesn't flash
- – Game only loads the chunk I'm currently standing on when I log in, and then freezes and crashes.
- – Client crashes when underground near a piston-and-redstone machine
- – Skeletons will come close to attacker
- – Particle overload when returning from AFK
- – Slime audio bug
- – Chest glitch - Server/Client desynchronization
- – Pressing F3+B displays hitboxes.. rendering invisibility potions useless
- – Wither can sometimes destroy its own star due to the posthumous detonation of wither skulls
- – Minecart goes off track and into walls
- – Beacon tiers don't work at y=0
- – Enchantments not showing in item frames
- – Flaming arrows take a moment to burn
/xp -1command when between level 0 and 1
– Cannot remove XP bars from the
- – Skeletons not retaliating to iron golems or wolves
- – Minecraft crashed, exception world
- – Game client gets stuck on 'building terrain' screen
These fixes occurred between the last snapshot for 1.4.6, 12w50b, and the full release of 1.4.6.
- 37 issues fixed
- From released versions before 1.4.6
- MC-429 – When a bat flies through the water, it gets stuck, and it will stay stuck.
- MC-678 – Water splash sound gets overridden by other sounds.
- MC-756 – Player not shown in actual location after breaking boat.
- MC-833 – Inventory items, when placed in an ender chest, disappears.
- MC-971 – Mis-identified server version.
- MC-1005 – Fresh install of 1.4.2 on fresh install of OS X 10.6.8 hangs.
- MC-1347 – Items do not "update looks" when stacked on ground.
- MC-1348 – Dropped items only auto-stack when moving, not when going through portals.
- MC-1599 – File Handle leak in RegionFileCache (MCP).
- MC-1734 – Duplicating Sand/Gravel/Dragon Egg still works with tweaks to an existing design.
- MC-1883 – Destroying a Jukebox NPE&Kick.
- MC-1957 – Minecraft graphics messed up.
- MC-2442 – Redstone directional bug.
- MC-2568 – Ghost block bug.
- MC-2610 – Game freezes at the start of a previously saved game.
- MC-2622 – Cannot modify the Render Distance setting - Stays at "Far" regardless of changes.
- MC-2673 – Shift-Clicking smelted ores out of furnace cause minor visual bug.
- MC-2712 – The player cannot look around without moving vertically or horizontally.
- MC-2747 – Minecraft client crashs when connection times out.
- MC-2873 – Minecarts disappearing.
- MC-2879 – Error 50% of the time when the player tries to join their server.
Failed to login: Error
- MC-2904 – Zombie pigman knockback stunlocks Iron Golems, defeating their intended purpose.
- MC-3122 – The player cannot change texture packs.
- MC-3255 – Blaze fire ball crashes the game.
- MC-3280 – Some textures appear as dark terrain.png images.
- MC-3346 – Minecraft crashing every time the player gets on for a little while.
- MC-3632 – Game only loads the chunk the player currently standing on when they logged in. Then the game freezes and crashes.
- MC-3860 – Client crashes when underground near piston and redstone machine.
- MC-3899 – Skeletons will come close to attacker.
- MC-3934 – Particle overload when returning from AFK.
- MC-3988 – Slime audio bug.
- MC-4432 – Minecart off track and into walls.
- MC-4784 – Skeletons not retaliating to Iron Golems/Wolves.
- MC-4792 – Minecraft crashed, exception world.
- MC-4829 – Game client gets stuck on 'building terrain' screen.
- From the 1.4.6 development versions
- MC-4644 – Mobs running in circles and not jumping when chasing/running away.
- From the current version, hotfixed
- MC-4872 – Crash when shot by skeleton.
- Other fixes
- Fixed mouse wrongly positioned in fullscreen.
- These changes occurred between the last development version for 1.4.6 and the full release of it.
- "Just sneakily pushed a new version of 1.4.6 to fix spinning mobs. If your mobs start dancing, redownload!" – @Dinnerbone, December 17, 2012
- "Had to do another sneaky update for crashes. No more, I promise! :(" – @Dinnerbone, December 17, 2012