Java Edition 1.16 Pre-release 1
June 4, 2020
1.16 Pre-release 1 (known as 1.16-pre1 in the launcher) is the first pre-release for Java Edition 1.16, released on June 4, 2020, which makes changes to floating-point precision and fixes several hand animations, among other things.
- Makes angered neutral mobs stop being angry when the targeted player dies nearby.
- Enabled by default.
- Makes angered neutral mobs attack any nearby player, not just the player that angered them. Works best if
- Disabled by default.
- Added recipe book unlocks for smithing tables, though they are non-functional.
- Added a new "Data Packs" button on the "Create World" screen.
- Allows the player to select datapacks to be enabled in the world.
- Supports drag-and-drop.
- Dimensions and dimension types can now be added and changed by data packs.
- Smithing recipes can now be added and changed by data packs.
- Added new "Fabulous!" graphics option
- Uses per-pixel blending layers for some transparent elements.
- Many of the fixes to transparent and translucent elements from 20w22a had their performance improved and are now locked behind this graphics setting.
- Now uses the "nether" color on maps.
- Can now be obtained in Creative mode when an empty bucket is used on water.
- If a bucket of water is in the player’s inventory already, no additional water buckets are added when an empty bucket is used on water.
- Whether this also applies to lava buckets is unknown.
- Can now be milked in Creative mode.
- Can now be milked in Creative mode.
- Mushroom stew and suspicious stew can now be obtained in creative mode.
- Are now damaged by splash and lingering water bottles.
- When any villager is struck by lightning, the witch it is converted to will no longer despawn, regardless of whether the villager had been traded with or not.
- No longer attack players who have not attacked a zombified piglin.
- Now will stop being angry if the targeted player dies nearby.
- The advancement file "Serious Dedication" has been renamed to
obtain_netherite_hoe.json. This means progress in this advancement is not kept when upgrading to this version.
- The advancement "Two By Two" now requires donkeys and mules.
- This advancement now checks the child resulting from breeding.
- The advancement "Oh Shiny" now uses gold nuggets.
- The advancement "Hot Tourist Destinations" now rewards 500 experience.
- The advancement "Cover Me in Debris" now rewards 100 experience.
- Changed the capitalization of "Who Is Cutting Onions?" to "Who is Cutting Onions?".
- Gamemode switcher
- Changed the text indicating to press F4 to select the next gamemode from "F4 Next" to "[ F4 ] Next".
- The biome ID in the error messages for an invalid biome or a valid biome that could not be found is now in quotes.
- Changed the error message for an invalid biome from "There is no biome named <biome ID>" to "There is no biome with type '<biome ID>'".
- Hand animations have been added for the following:
- Hand animations for the following have been removed:
- Game now detects critical data pack issues, like missing required tags that prevent the world from being loaded.
- Certain game mechanics, mainly a handful of different particles, have been modified to use 64-bit (double-precision) precision where they previously used 32-bit (single-precision).
- As a result, the effects appear in the correct places even if the player is far away from the spawn point (with effects being the most extreme when over 16,777,216 blocks away).
- The following precision loss errors are fixed:
- Lava embers and popping sounds should now originate from the correct positions.
- Campfire embers should now be generated at the correct position.
- Particles from rain hitting the top of blocks should now appear at the correct position.
- Smoke emitted by lava during rain should appear at the correct position.
- Smoke emitted by campfires during rain should appear at the correct position.
- Particles from redstone dust should now appear at the correct position.
- Particles from redstone repeaters should now appear at the correct position.
- Particles from nether biomes should now appear at the correct position.
- Particles from adding eye of enders to end portal frames should now appear at the correct position.
- Particles dripping from leaves during rain will no longer snap to block corners and are correctly randomized across the underside of the block.
- The book of the enchanting table now opens properly at high distances; previously there were cases where the player could be pressed right up to the block, yet the book would not acknowledge them.
- TNT ignited by other explosions now appears at the right locations at high distances.
- Detector rails at high distances were not always being correctly powered and depowered, which has been fixed.
- Mob pathfinding caused mobs to randomly swivel at high distances.
- Mob spawning would also break down, spawning mobs at block corners and sometimes inside of other blocks.
- Generation of minecart with chests in mineshafts will now spawn them at the intended positions.
- Removed sweet berry bushes from the
piglin_loveditem tag now uses the
gold_oresitem tag instead of listen gold ore and nether gold ore individually.
- Added gold nuggets to the
- 104 issues fixed
- From released versions before 1.16
- MC-4520 – Aggressive neutral mobs become neutral when the world is reloaded.
- MC-9856 – You cannot pick up buckets of water/lava in creative mode.
- MC-36322 – Unable to milk cows in creative.
- MC-63714 – Zombified piglins get angry when hit in creative mode.
- MC-64623 – Lightning bolts cannot be targeted by selectors.
- MC-69032 – When a mob hits a zombified piglin, and that mob dies, the zombified piglins attack the player.
- MC-90969 – Cannot get mushroom stew from mooshrooms/milk from cows in creative mode.
- MC-100258 – Holding Right-Click on an untamed horse causes an obnoxiously loud sound.
- MC-106968 – Snow golems aren’t damaged by splash or lingering water bottles.
- MC-127004 – Waterlogged blocks cause z-fighting when looking at them from a distance.
- MC-138675 – Wither skulls inflict the wither effect on players in creative mode.
- MC-138713 – “Two by Two” advancement does not require donkeys or mules.
- MC-158906 – After sleeping in a bed, players aren’t positioned in the center of a block.
- MC-159500 – Hostile mobs attacking bees also cause the bees to attack players.
- MC-161969 – Casting issue: Adding ender eyes to end portal frames at high distances causes particles to lose precision
- MC-163950 – Ice bordering water causes z-fighting issues from a distance.
- MC-164692 – Entering a boat does not play the hand animation
- MC-165669 – Hand animation is playing when the player is aiming at a block through the mob and use the spawn egg.
- MC-165734 – Minecarts with furnace still display a hand animation with incompatible items when not on a rail
- MC-166188 – Bees still hitting player after death.
- MC-166524 – Trying to dye a sheep with the same color as sheep displays hand animation.
- MC-167042 – Casting issue: Campfire embers are generated at a point that loses precision at high coordinates
- MC-167044 – Casting issue: Enchanting table book does not open for the player at high distances in some cases
- MC-167046 – Casting issue: Lava ember particles and lava popping sounds lose precision on creation at high coordinates
- MC-167047 – Casting issue: TNT blocks ignited by other explosions lose precision at high coordinates
- MC-167091 – Casting issue: Water particles dripping from leaves lose precision at high coordinates
- MC-167103 – Casting issue: Mob spawning loses precision at high coordinates
- MC-167195 – Bees anger towards players in survival when killed in one hit.
- MC-167421 – Casting issue: Minecarts with chests are generated in the wrong positions in abandoned mineshafts at high coordinates
- MC-167971 – Casting issue: Particles emitted by redstone repeaters lose precision at high coordinates
- MC-168675 – Settings that update after closing the video settings menu don’t if you change the fullscreen setting.
- MC-172531 – Small mobs get stuck in fence corners.
- MC-176640 – Players can set their spawn point inside dangerous blocks.
- MC-178570 – When blocking a wither skull with a shield, the player still receives the wither effect.
- From the 1.16 development versions
- MC-170867 – Incorrect subtitles when using axe to strip stem blocks
- MC-170872 – Casting issue: Nether biome particles suffer from precision loss
- MC-170944 – /locatebiome messages do not fit for all biome names.
- MC-171035 – Casting issue: Particles from falling rain lose precision at high coordinates
- MC-171037 – Casting issue: Smoke produced by lava during rain loses precision at high coordinates
- MC-171663 – Right-clicking on unemployed villagers sometimes cause hand animation to stop after a villager has a profession.
- MC-171683 – Crimson and warped doors can’t have transparent textures.
- MC-172259 – Baby hoglin/zoglin have their head slightly above their neck, it seems that their head is partly floating.
- MC-172610 – When not aiming at a block through a ridable mob while using a spawn egg on it, the player starts riding the mob and a baby mob is spawned.
- MC-174195 – Piglins don't become persistent if given gold nuggets.
- MC-174815 – Piglins don’t automatically attack withers.
- MC-175028 – Sometimes hoglins don’t avoid warped fungus.
- MC-175215 – Respawn anchors destroy blocks when detonated underwater.
- MC-175409 – Soul speed “effect” stays when a player levitates/flies off of soul sand or soul soil.
- MC-175476 – Respawn anchor doesn’t cull block faces.
- MC-175911 – Soul speed lasts after leaving soul blocks.
- MC-176041 – Using a spawn egg on a strider while aiming at lava spawns both a baby and an adult strider.
- MC-176188 – Striders are not damaged by splash or lingering water bottles.
- MC-176225 – Accelerating a baby strider’s growth does not display hand animation.
- MC-176470 – Respawning in the nether does not de-aggro zombified piglins.
- MC-176637 – Closing game during Mojang load screen causes NullPointerException.
- MC-177723 – Casting Issue: Mobs occasionally just spin around when coordinate numbers are very high
- MC-178567 – Shearing sheep does not display hand animation again.
- MC-178618 – Feeding a flower to a brown mooshroom does not perform hand animation.
- MC-178961 – /loot … fish … command no longer has any functionality.
- MC-179561 – Retreating baby hoglins sometimes won’t pathfind to the opposite direction of the player.
- MC-180111 – Hoglins angered for reasons other than being attacked by the player ignore placed repellents.
- MC-180922 – Right clicking a mob with a spawn egg to spawn the baby variant doesn’t play the hand swing animation when not aiming at a block through the mob.
- MC-182308 – Chicken jockeys cannot despawn.
- MC-182748 – Casting issue: Redstone dust particles are generated at the wrong positions at high coordinates
- MC-182883 – Parity issue: Baby hoglins don’t follow adult hoglins.
- MC-183174 – Casting Issue: Certain detector rails unable to be powered when coordinate numbers are very high
- MC-183766 – “Who Is Cutting Onions?” Improperly capitalized.
- MC-183767 – Incorrect filename for “Serious Dedication” advancement in vanilla data pack.
- MC-183792 – piglin_loved item tag has unnecessary items.
- MC-183821 – “Game Mode Switcher” bottom hint text isn’t centered.
- MC-183825 – New nether challenges don’t grant experience points.
- MC-184679 – Using custom world generation, temperature is written wrong.
- MC-184947 – Carriage return symbol can be seen when importing or exporting world generation settings to or from certain worlds.
- MC-185095 – “thrown_item_picked_up_by_entity” advancement trigger does not work for players.
- MC-185377 – Bone mealing kelp creates a large field of particles, rather than only within the kelp’s block space
- MC-185480 – Casting issue: Smoke particles emitted by campfires during rain form at the wrong positions at high coordinates
- From the previous development version
- MC-186062 – Warning “Could not find uniform named InSize in the specified shader program.” when loading resources.
- MC-186064 – Clouds render in front of everything for some users.
- MC-186067 – Some structures’ loot chests do not contain any items.
- MC-186071 – Clouds are visible and don’t render correctly when they are turned off.
- MC-186074 – Particles render in the wrong order with transparent blocks when using certain graphics cards.
- MC-186075 – GPU usage in latest snapshot significantly higher than before, causing lag or crash for some users.
- MC-186079 – Superflat world has dark sky.
- MC-186080 – Entities, block entities, and items are rendered black on some graphics cards.
- MC-186088 – Block hitboxes once again cause semi-transparent blocks not to render behind them
- MC-186089 – Functions load before entity tags do, causing loading errors.
- MC-186101 – Some commands in functions cause a NullPointerException.
- MC-186108 – Enchantment glint does not render on dropped/thrown items.
- MC-186109 – Players can use multiplayer commands on a singleplayer world.
- MC-186111 – Debug mode is accessible in any gamemode.
- MC-186124 – Lightning bolt doesn’t render.
- MC-186149 – "Debug Mode" world causes error on world list.
- MC-186204 – Items render in front of other entities, transparent blocks, and blocks with special renderers.
- MC-186253 – Held translucent blocks make the water, clouds, particles, and placed translucent blocks behind them invisible in third person mode.
- MC-186274 – Purple light from ender dragon’s death doesn’t appear.
- MC-186284 – Player’s point of view is upside down in 20w22a.
- MC-186314 – Villagers become fixated on potential job site.
- MC-186335 – Bees age calculation inside hive/nest is broken.
- MC-186455 – Persistent villagers without experience can despawn after converting to a witch.
- MC-186464 – Enabled data packs still show up in the “/datapack enable” list.
- MC-186478 – Tag minecraft:tick doesn’t work when joining a world.
- MC-186480 – Inner parts of slime blocks and honey blocks disappear again while the block is moved by a piston.
- MC-186600 – Nether gold ore is gray on a map.
- MC-186696 – Totem of Undying causes red or blue tint in the screen when in F5 mode.
- This pre-release released on the same day as 1.13-pre1, but two years later.
Video made by slicedlime:
- "Minecraft 1.16 Pre-Release 1" – Minecraft.net, June 4, 2020