Java Edition 1.16
|Planned release date||
|Other editions of 1.16|
1.16, the first release of the Nether Update, is an upcoming major update to Java Edition, which will overhaul the Nether. This update was announced at MINECON Live 2019. The update will not include the announced features for the mountains biome.
- Acts the same as regular fire.
- Fire lit on soul soil or soul sand will be blue fire regardless of dimension.
- Generates naturally in the soulsand valley biome in the Nether.
- Generates in both netherwart forest biomes.
- Emits a redstone signal when shot with an arrow.
- Signal is stronger depending on how close the arrow is to the center of the block.
- At least two new types of mushroom will be added to the netherwart forests.
- A variation of the nether wart block.
- Generates in the blue netherwart forest.
- Blocks that comprise trunks in the netherwart forest
- Red and blue variants
- Have animated textures
- Generates under red nether trees in the red netherwart forest.
- Soul Soil
- In clips of the soulsand valley, blocks with a similar color scheme to soul sand can be seen, alongside conventional soul sand.
- These blocks can be seen with blue fire atop them, confirming their relationship to conventional soul sand.
- A light-emitting block which closely resembles glowstone can also be seen.
- Appears to correspond to the spots seen on new mushrooms, due to how it appears as part of large fungal structures in the netherwart forest.
- This block makes up speleothems.
- Generates in Soul Sand Valleys.
- Spawn eggs
- At least two new spawn eggs, one implied to be that of the hoglin due to its appearance in the footage.
- An unnamed food item
- Will be dropped by hoglins.
- Found in the Nether.
- Are naturally hostile towards the player, unless the player is wearing gold armor.
- They can wield gold swords or crossbows.
- Will drop arrows if wielding a crossbow.
- Will be able to "barter" (similiar to trading) with the player.
- Will attack wither skeletons and adult hoglins.
- Found in the Nether.
- Are naturally hostile towards the player.
- Appear to have a higher melee range than most mobs.
- Can be bred and used as a source of food in the Nether.
- Appear to drop raw beef, though this is likely a placeholder.
- Name has been chosen by the community to be "Hoglin" (previously known as "Piglin Beast" as a placeholder name)
- Baby hoglins will also spawn.
- The Nether will get at least three new biomes:
- The Soulsand Valley includes uncovered fossils, soul sands, large speleothems, blue fog, and blue fire.
- The Netherwart Forest Red is a dense forest with trees made of nether wart blocks, with nether fungi found on the ground and unnamed nether red vines found under the trees.
- The Netherwart Forest Blue is a variation of the red netherwart forest.
- Fortifications built by piglins that are found in the Nether.
- Nether Trees
- Trees resembling the new mushrooms that generate in netherwart forests.
- Floor to ceiling speleothems that generate in soulsand valleys made out of Basalt.
- Will be renamed to zombified piglins.
- Players will be able to respawn in the Nether.
- How is currently unknown. This may be indicative of the return of the crying obsidian.
These features were mentioned during the development of Java Edition 1.16 or earlier, or during MINECON Live 2019, but have not been confirmed to be added in this update.
- May get functionality. It was mentioned during the development of Village & Pillage that it would be added in "...the next major themed update..."
- The feature of pigs transforming to zombie pigmen when struck by lightning may be removed. However, a similar behavior may be implemented in a different way.
- Nether wood types
- Maria Lemón stated that she likes the idea of implementing new types of woods. However, it is unknown if they're going to be implemented.
MINECON Live 2019
A better look at the terrain generation of the Netherwart Forest Red and a new vine block, which will generate within the biome.
- "Everything We Announced at MINECON Live 2019" – Minecraft.net, September 28, 2019
- "Minecraft Snapshot 19w40a" – Minecraft.net, October 2, 2019
- "But mountains will come in a later update." – @MiaLem_n, September 28, 2019
- "Soul soil and Basalt" – @MiaLem_n, December 3, 2019
- The Nether: 10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Minecraft
- "Meet the Hoglin" – Minecraft.net, October 19, 2019
- "Minecraft Snapshot 19w11a" – Minecraft.net, March 12, 2019
- "Not in 1.15 and I can't promise anything for 1.16 either I'm afraid." – @MiaLem_n, September 30, 2019
- "We will likely remove that feature, because it will work differently" – @jeb_, September 29, 2019