Java Edition 1.0.0/Development versions
- 1 Beta 1.9 Prerelease
- 2 Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2
- 3 Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3
- 4 Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4
- 5 Beta 1.9 Prerelease 5
- 6 Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6
- 7 RC1
- 8 RC2
- 9 Notes and references
This is a list of Java Edition 1.0.0 development versions.
September 22, 2011
Beta 1.9 Prerelease   is the first pre-release for Java Edition 1.0.0, released on September 22, 2011, which adds nether fortresses, 6 new blocks including nether bricks and some variants, 5 new mobs including villagers, 4 new items including ghast tears, the mushroom island biome and some minor changes.
Initially a pre-release for Beta 1.9, Mojang instead opted to delay the release of this update until MINECON 2011 and release it under the name "Minecraft 1.0.0". This decision was made after a few development versions tagged as Beta 1.9 were already sent out, so the name Beta 1.9 was kept for all of the development versions in the gap between Beta 1.8.1 and Minecraft 1.0.0, other than the release candidates.
- Added the mushroom island biome.
- Re-added tundras as ice plains. They now generate with sparse trees and flatter terrain.
- Added the frozen ocean biome.
- Added nether fortresses
- Added end portal stronghold (not able to travel to the end)
- Debug feature
Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2  is the second pre-release for Java Edition 1.0.0, released on September 29, 2011, which adds cauldrons, potions, animal breeding mechanics, 9 more music discs, hardcore mode, and changes milk to remove potion effects when drunk.
- Drops from blazes.
- Ingredient to brewing potions.
- Ingredient to brewing potions.
- First iteration of potions, not yet properly obtainable.
- Drops from magma cubes.
- Ingredient to brewing potions.
- Drops from spiders.
- Ingredient to brewing potions.
- Hardcore mode
- Locks the difficulty to Hard and forces users to delete the world's save data upon death.
- The health bar changes appearance to indicate the game is in Hardcore mode.
- Is now drinkable.
- Drinking milk resets all potion effects currently afflicted upon the player.
- No longer drops as a resource when destroyed.
- No longer has a "TESTIFICATE" label above their head.
- Item tooltips
- Now have a pink border.
2 bugs fixed
- Removed debug code causing jumping to increase experience.
- Client-side double Mooshroom bug in multiplayer fixed.
Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3   is the third pre-release for Java Edition 1.0.0, released on October 6, 2011, which adds five new blocks including the brewing stand and enchantment table, as well as the eye of ender, five baby animal variants, XP levels, the enchantment glint effect, and completed potion mechanics. Unlike the client, the server for this version was not reuploaded.
The original version of the Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3 was released shortly before 14:57 UTC on October 6, and featured a crash issue. The first reupload of Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3 was released at around 14:58 UTC, while the second reupload was released at around 15:08 UTC. One of these reuploads was to remove some code relating to the ender dragon.[which?] This was possibly done to avoid leaking information, as the ender dragon had not yet been announced.
- Used to brew potions.
- Unfinished end portal in strongholds.
- Broken end portal frame blocks can be repaired with eyes of ender, though nothing further occurs.
- Currently useless.
- A white cobblestone texture was added to the terrain.png in the spot where end stone would be found in the next pre-release; however it wasn't used by any block yet.
- Can be used to repair end portal frames, although they don't have their locating functionality yet.
- Completely redone potion system.
- Added pie chart detailing CPU usage.
- Placeholder system.
- Enchanted items appear to glimmer, have blue tooltips and have "Enchanted!!" written below tooltip.
- Used to mark the location of strongholds.
- Extended from the stone brick of the stronghold to height limit.
- One pillar marked the location of the main stronghold room, and another marked where the Portal room was.
- When destroyed, drops 3 books.
- Now assigned with block ID.
- Now only carries water instead of being used to make potions.
- More randomly placed chests.
- 1x1 glass pillars protruding from ground to sky limit at the location of strongholds.
- Experience levels
- Now shown above experience bar.
- 1 bug fixed
- Fixed snow golems being able to enter love mode.
Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4  is the fourth pre-release for Java Edition 1.0.0, released on October 13, 2011, it adds the End dimension, the ender dragon, and moon phases, it also completed the enchanting mechanics, changes fluid placement using buckets, and fixes some bugs.
Beta 1.9 Prerelease 5 is the fifth pre-release for Java Edition 1.0.0, released on October 27, 2011, which adds several new achievements and controls, changes some mobs and the texture of some blocks, and fixes some bugs.
- Debug controls (from the pre-re-uploaded version of Beta 1.8 Pre-release):
- F9: Freezes the camera in its current position.
- F6: While also turning back time, enables a strange "bouncy" movement. It locks the player's y coordinate (meaning they cannot jump or fall). It makes the player accelerate relatively slowly when moving. Additionally, the player can also clip into blocks slightly - at a high enough speed, the player can push all the way through a block. Transparent blocks have no clipping whatsoever.
- N and M: Changes the view's rotation clockwise and anti-clockwise, respectively. Hold both keys simultaneously resets the rotation.
- Y and H: Decreases and increases the field of view, respectively. These keys seem to affect the field of view differently to how the FOV option does - the player's hand (or anything the player is holding) will also become stretched as the field of view increases or decreases, which does not happen if the player changes the FOV option in the menu. Holding both keys simultaneously resets the field of view.
- I: Makes the player look up, J looks left, K looks down, and L looks right. These movements are normally done by moving the mouse. This setting cannot be reset by holding any keys simultaneously.
- U and O: Moves the third-person camera forwards and backwards, respectively. This setting cannot be reset by holding both keys simultaneously.
- Scrolling the mouse wheel (which also scrolls the selected slot in the hotbar) rotates the forward, left, right, and back directions.
- In creative mode, using an empty bucket will no longer fill it up when removing fluids with it.
- Fence post selection boxes now resemble their collision boxes.
- Now flowing downwards creates source blocks, instead of flowing water.
- Hostile mobs act neutral in creative mode.
- Entity punch range in creative mode reduced, as a result.
- Now have a new dying animation even though they still do not spawn.
- Their health has been changed to 1 to test this.
- Now spawn on levels 0-40 rather than 0-16, making them much more common.
- The version number once again displays on the top-left of the screen.
- Selecting an enchanted item no longer causes the hotbar to glow white.
- Video settings
- Added an option to turn off clouds.
8 bugs fixed
- Monster spawners could not be collected with a pickaxe enchanted with Silk Touch.
- Mycelium and end stone are now available in the creative inventory list.
- The step on stairs is properly lit.
- Lily pads now have the correct coloration in the inventory and have a name tag.
- End stone now has a name tag (previously "unnamed").
- Melons once again drop the correct number of slices.
- Data error when attempting to block with an enchanted sword fixed, blocking with enchanted sword now possible.
- Baby animals now work in multiplayer.
Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6 is the sixth and final pre-release for Java Edition 1.0.0, released on November 11, 2011, which adds dragon eggs, End crystals, credits, new video settings, changes the mining time of some blocks, changes the ender dragon boss fight, and fixes some bugs.
- Currently has no use.
- Sits atop of a block of bedrock.
- It is diamond shaped, with 2 cubes spinning on their axis with a point at the center.
- Fires a healing beam at the ender dragon when within range.
- Can be destroyed with a melee or hit with an arrow, causing an explosion.
- They appear on all obsidian pillars in the End.
- Ending titles and credits
- Have been added to the game.
- Added the following files to /title/:
- Video settings
- Added "Particles" setting.
- Has three possible states:
- "All", rendering all particle effects.
- "Decreased", rendering half of all particle effects.
- "Minimal", rendering no particle effects (except for those created when breaking blocks).
- Several block's tool weaknesses have been fixed, such as crafting tables now mining faster with an axe and rails now mining faster with a pickaxe.
- Attempting to sleep in a bed while hostile mobs are nearby will display "You may not rest now, there are monsters nearby".
- Decreased mining time.
- Fire above bedrock in The End will now burn forever.
- Mined stairs of any materials will drop a stair block now instead of a block form of its material.
- Downward flowing water now creates flowing water once more.
- Tools not suited to digging a certain block can be faster than digging by hand, e.g. a pickaxe can dig dirt faster than by hand, but not faster than by shovel.
- More finished boss fight.
- "Boss Health" meter appears on the middle top part of the screen in the same purple hue as the ender dragon.
- Leaves behind an exit portal with the dragon egg sitting on top to return the players to their spawn point/bed.
- 'Efficiency' enchantment now affects all blocks for any item enchanted with it.
- are now square again.
12 bugs fixed
- Entity model errors fixed.
- Armor durability is back to being much longer, longer than it ever was in Beta 1.8.
- Using items and hitting mobs no longer uses up items/durability in creative.
- Lily pads are now a block which can be stood on.
- Ferns, tall grass and lily pads are now available in the creative inventory.
- Unnecessary block versions of cake and sugar cane removed from creative inventory.
- Enchantment tables now take time to mine, instead of one punch.
- "Mods and Texture Packs" changed to "Texture Packs".
- Repeater clocks no longer get stuck when unloading the chunk.
- Placing fences under farmland doesn't stop it from turning back into dirt.
- A Minecart with Furnace is able to push empty minecarts in any direction.
- Baby sheep from dyed parents are now born dyed instead of always being white.
RC1 is the first release candidate for Java Edition 1.0.0, released on November 13, 2011, which adds durability to bows, sounds to some mobs, the player, tools and armor, adds some new splashes, and fixes some bugs.
- Added new splashes:
- "Made by Jeb!"
- "Has an ending!"
- "Finally complete!"
- "Feature packed!"
- "Boots with the fur!"
- "Stop, hammertime!"
- "Homeomorphic to a 3-sphere!"
- "Doesn't avoid double negatives!"
- "Place ALL the blocks!"
- "Does barrel rolls!"
- "Meeting expectations!"
- "PC gaming since 1873!"
- "Ghoughpteighbteau tchoghs!"
- "Déjà vu!"
- "Déjà vu!"[note 1]
- "Got your nose!"
- "Haley loves Elan!"
- "Afraid of the big, black bat!"
- "Doesn't use the U-word!"
- "Child's play!"
- "See you next Friday or so!"
- "From the streets of Södermalm!"
- "150 bpm for 400000 minutes!"
- "Funk soul brother!"
- "Pumpa kungen!"
- Changed redstone wire placement on one block from a "+" to a "•" shape.
- Can now hatch baby chickens.
- The "Quit Game" button now appears regardless of how the game is launched.
- Note that these changes apply to the assets to the game, and so apply to all previous versions back to Alpha as well.
- The arrow firing and thrown item (snowball, egg, fishing rod and eye of ender) sound was changed.
- The chest opening and closing now has its own sound, different from the door sound.
- Wooden and iron doors, trapdoors and fence gates' opening and closing sounds were changed.
- Experience orbs now make a twinkling sound when collected.
- Explosions now have several new, slightly differing sounds instead of just one.
- The entity damage sound has been changed to a genderless bone-cracking sound.
- Players and all mobs make the same bone-cracking sound when taking fall damage.
- Eating and drinking now have sounds.
- Blazes have been given an ambient breathing noise.
- Endermen now have their own sounds instead of using zombie sounds. 
- Magma cubes now make sounds.
- Silverfish now make sounds.
- Arrow landing was changed to a more twangy sound.
- Tools and armor now make a breaking sound, and have a breaking animation.
- Changed some splashes:
- "OpenGL 1.1!" to "OpenGL 1.2!".
- "Coming soon!" to "It's here!".
- "When it's finished!" to "It's finished!".
- "That's not a moon!" to "That's no moon!".
- "Absolutely dragon free!" to "Kind of dragon free!".
- "Superfragilisticexpialidocious!" to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!".
- "Tyrian would love it!" to "Tyrion would love it!".
- ""Noun" is an autonym!" to ""Autological" is!".
7 bugs fixed
- Error with the shadowing of the right side of blocks in the inventory is now fixed, being back to what it was in Beta 1.7.
- Fixed wooden door bug from Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6
- The "Particles" option no longer overlaps the warning when playing on far render distance with a 32-bit Java installation.
- Fixed the bug that caused the player's experience level to revert to 0 again after The End credits are finished from Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6.
- The full names of Scaevolus and Hippoplatimus are now used in the ending credits.
- The player can now chat while entering a portal in multiplayer.
- Obsidian's mining time was increased to 8 seconds from ~3 seconds in 1.9 Prerelease 6.
- The lighting of blocks in inventory screens has been adjusted.
- 1 bug fixed
- Fixed a bug that caused all tools to break quickly after loading an old map in RC1.
Notes and references
- Duplicate intended.
- "Minecraft Beta 1.9 prerelease can be found here, http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre/minecraft.jar (server jar also available)" – @jeb_, September 11, 2011
- "So @notch did the last commit for the 1.9 prerelease 2, get it here: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre2/minecraft.jar" – @jeb_, September 29, 2011
- "@jeb_ @notch Instant 1.9 Pre3 crash. Spawned with weird items, like bookshelves. Stuck on saving chunks and black screen." – @cscherme, October 6, 2011 (15:00 UTC) – reply to a deleted tweet
- "New attempt! Me and @notch have now added prerelease 3 of Beta 1.9 at http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre3/minecraft.jar" – @jeb_, October 6, 2011 (14:58 UTC)
- "Third time's the charm! Minecraft Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre3/minecraft.jar" – @jeb_, October 6, 2011 (15:08 UTC)
- "Beta 1.9 pre-4! assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre4/minecraft.jar (and minecraft_server). PS. @notch's dragon is not available yet!" – @jeb_, October 13, 2011
- "Ah gahd why do I always forget something? I forgot to change the version number.... The real version will be up shortly" – @jeb_, October 13, 2011
- "Pre-release 4 with correct version number: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre4/minecraft.jar (same URL as before)" – @jeb_, October 13, 2011
- here is Beta 1.9 pre-release 5: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre5/minecraft.jar (server is minecraft_server.jar) "October 27, 2011" – @jeb_
- "So here's the 6th beta 1.9 prerelease: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre6/minecraft.jar" – @jeb_, November 11, 2009
- "Release candidate 1! Doors can be opened! New sfx! http://assets.minecraft.net/rc1/minecraft.jar ( + minecraft_server.jar)" – @jeb_, November 13, 2011
- "So yeah, let's do a release candidate 2" – @jeb_, November 13, 2011
- "Ok RC2, now with multiplayer! http://assets.minecraft.net/rc2/minecraft.jar (+ minecraft_server.jar)" – @jeb_, November 13, 2011
- "Uploaded new RC2 that says "RC2" \o/" – @jeb_, November 13, 2011