dec: 351 hex: 15F bin: 101011111
See Data values
- See also: Squid farming
Squids drop 1–3 ink sacs upon death.
Ink sacs can be obtained as a “junk” item from fishing.
|Ink Sac||1 Iron
Dye [until 1.14]
Like all other dyes, ink sacs can be:
- Applied to sheep to dye their wool, which can then be sheared for 1–3 blocks of black wool.
- Applied to tamed wolves to dye their collars.
- Used to dye/stain wool, leather armor, beds, glass, terracotta and shulker boxes.
- Combined with gunpowder to make a firework star.
- Combined with a firework star to create a fade-to-color effect.
- Used to add patterns to banners.
- Used to dye shulkers.[Bedrock Edition only]
- Used to dye water contained in cauldrons.[Bedrock Edition only]
- Combined with sand and gravel to craft concrete powder.
- Combined with compounds to craft balloons or glow sticks.[Bedrock and Education editions only]
|Item||ID Name||Numeral ID|
In bedrock edition ink sacs have the ID name
dye with data value 0.
|7||Light Gray Dye|
|12||Light Blue Dye|
|16||Black Dye[upcoming 1.8]|
|17||Brown Dye[upcoming 1.8]|
|18||Blue Dye[upcoming 1.8]|
|19||White Dye[upcoming 1.8]|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.2||Added ink sacs.|
|1.3.1||12w17a||Ink sacs are now used to craft book and quills.|
|1.4.2||12w34a||Added the ability to dye leather armor and wolf collars.|
|1.4.6||12w49a||Ink sacs can now be crafted with gunpowder to create a firework star.|
|1.6.1||13w19a||Stained clay can now be crafted.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||With the addition of new flowers, many secondary and tertiary dyes are now primary dyes.|
|13w41a||Stained glass can now be crafted.|
|1.8||14w25a||Ink sacs are now used to craft dark prismarine.|
|14w30a||Added banners, which can be dyed with ink sacs.|
|1.11||16w39a||Ink sacs can now be used to dye shulker boxes.|
|1.12||17w15a||Ink sacs can now be used to dye beds.|
|1.13||17w47a||The different data values for the |
|Prior to The Flattening, this item's numeral ID was 351.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.14||18w43a||Ink sacs can now be used to craft black dye.|
|Ink sacs can now no longer be used as a dye.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|?||Ink sacs have implemented, but are currently unobtainable.|
|0.8.0||build 3||Ink sacs are now available in creative.|
|?||Ink sacs can now be used to craft cocoa beans.|
|0.9.0||?||Ink sacs will now generate in village and stronghold chests.|
|0.11.0||build 1||Ink sacs can now be obtained from squid.|
|Ink sacs can now be obtained as a junk item from fishing.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Ink Sac now can be used to dye water in cauldron.|
|0.16.0||?||Ink sacs are now no longer used to craft cocoa beans.|
|Ink sacs can now be used to craft dark prismarine.|
|1.0||alpha 0.17.0||Ink sacs can now be used to dye shulkers.|
|1.1||build 1||Ink sacs are now used to re-dye beds.|
|Ink sacs can now be used to dye shulker boxes.|
|1.2||beta 22.214.171.124||Ink sacs can now be used to craft book and quills.|
|Added banners, which can be dyed with ink sacs.|
|Ink sacs can now be crafted with gunpowder to create firework stars.|
|Ink sacs can now be used to craft black concrete powder.|
|Stained glass can now be crafted.|
|1.4||beta 126.96.36.199||Ink sacs can now be crafted from iron, sulfur, and 4 oxygen in compound creators.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.8||beta 188.8.131.52||Ink sacs can now be used to craft black dye.|
- In the statistics menu, the item name “Ink Sac” does not appear when the cursor is hovered over its image in the statistics page. This is due to it referring to all dyes combined.