|This page contains content on features that may be included in the next update.|
These features have appeared in development versions, but the full update containing these features has not been released yet.
|This page would benefit from the addition of more images.|
Please remove this notice once you've added suitable images to the article. The specific instructions are: actual renders with banners
Height: 1.95 blocks
See § History
See § Drops
Raid captains spawn in the same conditions and occurrences of any illager, with no special occasions having one spawn and one spawning being completely randomized.
|Type of illager||Illager patrol||Raid||Pillager outpost||Woodland mansion|
|Pillager||Yes, once||Yes, multiple times||Yes, multiple times||Never|
|Vindicator||Yes, once||Yes, multiple times||Never||Yes, multiple times|
|Evoker||Never||Yes, rarely||Never||Yes, rarely|
As part of raids a raid captain will spawn as a part of a group of pillagers, and sometimes spawn riding a ravager. The captain will not cause another raid if killed, but when its banner drops, other illagers will rush to grab it.
Usually, 1–3 raid captains will also spawn in a pillager outpost - these are always pillagers.
Woodland mansions[Java Edition only]
Upon death, any raid captain can drop:
- 0–2 arrows, dropping more with the presence of Looting, up to 5[Bedrock Edition only].
- Its crossbow (can be loaded or unloaded) which has an 8.5% chance to be dropped (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It will have a random durability, and can be enchanted.
- 0–1 emeralds, with the maximum increasing by 1 for every level of Looting.
- 8.5% chance of dropping their iron axe, which increases by 1 percentage point per level of Looting.
- 1 Totem of Undying
- 0–1 Emerald if killed by the player.
- Looting increases the maximum drop of emeralds by 1 per level, up to 4 emeralds.
- Looting doesn't affect the totem of undying.
- Its bow which has an 8.5% chance to be dropped (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It will have a random durability, and will not be enchanted.
In Bedrock Edition, raid captains that spawn from raids can additionally drop:
- 0-1 Emerald (up to 4 with looting III)
And has ?% chance to drop one of these items:
- 2-3 Emerald (up to 6 with looting III)
- 4-5 Emerald (up to 8 with looting III)
- Enchanted Book (enchantment level 30)
- Iron Sword (will be badly damaged, can be enchanted with random enchantment)
- Iron Helmet (will be badly damaged, can be enchanted with random enchantment)
- Iron Chestplate (will be badly damaged, can be enchanted with random enchantment)
- Iron Leggings (will be badly damaged, can be enchanted with random enchantment)
- Iron Boots (will be badly damaged, can be enchanted with random enchantment)
- Iron Axe (will be badly damaged, can be enchanted with random enchantment)
- Iron Pickaxe (will be badly damaged, can be enchanted with random enchantment)
- Iron Shovel (will be badly damaged, can be enchanted with random enchantment)
Raid captains usually act the same as if they were a normal illager, but other illagers behind them will follow them and usually, the captain will take the lead ahead of the other illagers. Once a raid captain is killed by a player, the player will be inflicted with 1 level of the Bad Omen effect, which can cause a raid to occur if they enter a village. The captain will drop its ominous banner as well, and other illagers nearby will try and pick up that banner and become the next captain.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Voluntary Exile||Kill a raid captain.|
Maybe consider staying away from villages for the time being...
- Individual entity IDs
- Entity tag
- Pillagers, vindicators, and evokers:
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.14||18w45a||Added raid captains, which spawned as part of illager patrols.|
|18w47a||Added raids, which also include raid captains.|
|18w49a||Raid captains can now be killed multiple times to stack Bad Omen.|
|18w50a||Raid captains can now spawn at pillager outposts.|
|Raid captains in outposts will grant 1 level of bad omen, whilst raid captains in patrols will be able to grant 1-3.|
|19w13a||Raid captains will grant only 1 level of bad omen now.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.11.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Added raid captains.|
|Currently do not inflict bad omen on the player after being killed.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||Illagers now properly follow captains during illager patrols.|
|Raid captains now properly give a bad omen when killed.|
|1.12.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Raid captains now properly drop their omnious banners when killed.|
|The bad omen is now only only received when killing the captain, not when damaging it with a ranged weapon.|
|Illagers can now properly be turned into captains via tags.|
- Despite raid captains wearing the Ominous Banner on their heads, they actually wear it in chestplate slot.
- Though illusioners are unused, they can also be spawned as a raid captain.