|This feature is exclusive to Java Edition, Bedrock Edition and PlayStation 4 Edition.|
Height: 1.95 blocks
See § Drops
See § Data values
A raid captain is the occurrence of an illager spawning with an Ominous Banner (in Java Edition) / Illager Banner (in Bedrock Edition) on top of its head, usually a pillager or vindicator, or rarely in Java Edition an evoker.
Raid captains spawn in the same conditions and occurrences of any illager, with no special occasions having one spawn and one spawning being completely randomized. They can be spawned using the
/summon pillager ~ ~ ~ minecraft:spawn_as_illager_captain command in Bedrock Edition.
|Type of illager||Illager patrol||Raid||Pillager outpost||Woodland mansion|
|Pillager||Yes, once||Yes, multiple times||Yes, multiple times||Never|
|Vindicator||Yes, once[Bedrock Edition only]||Yes, multiple times||Never||Yes, multiple times[Java Edition only]|
|Evoker||Never||Yes, rarely[Java Edition only]||Never||Yes, rarely[Java Edition only]|
As part of raids in Java Edition, a raid captain spawns as a part of a group of pillagers, and sometimes spawns riding a ravager. The captain does not cause another raid if killed, but when its banner drops, other illagers rush to grab it. In Bedrock Edition, raid captains are unused and cannot spawn during raids, but the code for them is present.
Usually, 1–3 pillager raid captains also spawn in a pillager outpost.
Upon death, any raid captain can drop:
- 0–2 arrows, dropping more with the presence of Looting, up to 5[Bedrock Edition only].
- Its crossbow (may be loaded or unloaded) which has an 8.5% chance to be dropped (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It has a random durability and may be enchanted.
- 0–1 emeralds, with the maximum increasing by 1 for every level of Looting.
- 8.5% chance of dropping their iron axe, which increases by 1 percentage point per level of Looting. It may be enchanted.
- 1 Totem of Undying
- 0–1 Emerald if killed by the player.
- Looting increases the maximum drop of emeralds by 1 per level, up to 4 emeralds.
- Looting doesn't affect the totem of undying.
- Its bow which has an 8.5% chance to be dropped (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It has a random durability, and is enchanted.
In Bedrock Edition, raid captains that spawn from raids can additionally drop:
- 0-1 Emerald
An additional drop is dependent on difficulty, with a 65% chance of dropping on easy and normal, and an 80% chance of dropping on hard.
They can drop one of the following items:
- 0-1 Emerald (10⁄39 chance)
- 2-3 Emerald (5⁄39 chance)
- 4-5 Emerald (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Enchanted Book (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Iron Pickaxe (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Axe (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Shovel (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Sword (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Helmet (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Chestplate (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Leggings (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Boots (5⁄78 chance)
- Iron equipment from raider drops has 50% chance of being enchanted with random enchantment.
- Iron equipment from raider drops are badly damaged.
- These drops are also affected by Looting enchantment.
- Emerald is both a regular raider drop and an additional raider drop.
Raid captains usually act the same as if they were a normal illager, but other illagers follow behind them (except for outpost captain), and usually the captain takes the lead ahead of the other illagers. Once a raid captain is killed by a player, the player is inflicted with 1 level of the Bad Omen effect, which can cause a raid to occur if they enter a village (unless the raid captain actually spawned in a raid, in which case it will not give a Bad Omen). The captain will drop its ominous banner as well, and other illagers nearby will try to pick it up in order to become the next captain.
Both patrol and outpost captains grant one level of Bad Omen when killed, but captains found in raids themselves never give Bad Omen.
Raid captains have the same behaviour in Bedrock Edition as they do in Java Edition, but the maximum level of Bad Omen raid captains can give is one level, as Bad Omen I is the only level available. If a player with Bad Omen kills another raid captain, not only does the Bad Omen level remain at one, the effect timer does not reset.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|I've got a bad feeling about this||Kill a Pillager Captain||Yes||PS4||Yes||No||20G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Voluntary Exile||Kill a raid captain.|
Maybe consider staying away from villages for the time being...
|Adventure||Obtain an Ominous Banner, whether from a Pillager Outpost or from a Raid Captain.|
|Entity||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID|
|1.14||18w45a||Added raid captains, which spawned as part of illager patrols.|
|18w47a||Added raids, which also include raid captains.|
|18w49a||Raid captains can now be killed multiple times to stack Bad Omen.|
|18w50a||Raid captains can now spawn at pillager outposts.|
|Raid captains in outposts will grant 1 level of bad omen, whilst raid captains in patrols will be able to grant 1-3.|
|19w13a||Raid captains will grant only 1 level of bad omen now.|
|1.11.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Added raid captains.|
|Currently do not inflict bad omen on the player after being killed.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Illagers now properly follow captains during illager patrols.|
|Raid captains now properly give a bad omen when killed.|
|1.12.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Raid captains now properly drop their omnious banners when killed.|
|The bad omen is now only only received when killing the captain, not when damaging it with a ranged weapon.|
|Illagers can now properly be turned into captains via tags.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.91||Added raid captains.|
- Though illusioners are unused, they can also be spawned as a raid captain.