As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
A raid captain[a] is the occurrence of an illager spawning with an Ominous Banner (in Java Edition) / Illager Banner (in Bedrock Edition) on top of its head, usually a pillager or vindicator, or rarely in Java Edition an evoker.
Raid captains spawn in the same conditions and occurrences of any illager, with no special occasions having one spawn and one spawning being completely randomized. In Bedrock Edition, a pillager raid captain can be spawned using the
/summon pillager ~ ~ ~ minecraft:spawn_as_illager_captain command, and a vindicator raid captain can be spawned using
/summon vindicator ~ ~ ~ minecraft:spawn_as_illager_captain command.
|Type of illager||Illager patrol||Raid||Pillager outpost||Woodland mansion||Commands (With Data Tag)||Commands (Without Data Tag)|
|Pillager||Yes, multiple times||Yes, multiple times||Yes, multiple times||Never||Always||Rarely|
|Vindicator||Yes, once[Bedrock Edition only]||Yes, multiple times||Never||Yes, multiple times[Java Edition only]||Always||Rarely|
As part of raids in Java Edition, a raid captain spawns as a part of a group of pillagers, and sometimes spawns riding a ravager. The captain does not cause another raid if killed, but when its banner drops, other illagers rush to grab it. In Bedrock Edition, raid captains are unused and cannot spawn during raids, but the code for them is present.
Usually, 1–3 pillager raid captains also spawn in a pillager outpost.
In Java Edition, only pillagers and passive mobs may spawn within a pillager outpost spawn area. Pillagers may spawn on any valid opaque block as long as the sky light level is above 8, and the block light level is below 8, but can also spawn on grass or sand blocks regardless of block light level.
Upon death, any raid captain can drop:
- 0–2 arrows, dropping more with the presence of Looting, up to 5[Bedrock Edition only].
- Its crossbow (may be loaded or unloaded), which has an 8.5% chance to be dropped (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It has a random durability and may be enchanted.
- 0–1 emeralds, with the maximum increasing by 1 for every level of Looting.
- 8.5% chance of dropping their iron axe, which increases by 1 percentage point per level of Looting. It may be enchanted.
- 1 Totem of Undying
- 0–1 Emerald if killed by the player.
- Looting increases the maximum drop of emeralds by 1 per level, up to 4 emeralds.
- Looting doesn't affect the totem of undying.
- Its bow, which has an 8.5% chance to be dropped (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It has a random durability, and is NOT enchanted.
In Bedrock Edition, raid captains that spawn from raids can additionally drop:
- 0-1 Emerald
An additional drop is dependent on difficulty, with a 65% chance of dropping on easy and normal, and an 80% chance of dropping on hard.
They can drop one of the following items:
- 0-1 Emerald (10⁄39 chance)
- 2-3 Emerald (5⁄39 chance)
- 4-5 Emerald (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Enchanted Book (2⁄39 chance)
- 1 Iron Pickaxe (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Axe (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Shovel (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Sword (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Helmet (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Chestplate (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Leggings (5⁄78 chance)
- 1 Iron Boots (5⁄78 chance)
- Raiders drop iron equipment in a damaged state, and the equipment has 50% chance of being enchanted with random enchantment.
- These drops are also affected by Looting enchantment.
- An emerald is both a regular raider drop and an additional raider drop.
Raid captains usually act the same as if they were a normal illager, but other illagers follow behind them (except for outpost captain), and usually the captain takes the lead ahead of the other illagers. Once a raid captain is killed by a player, the player is inflicted with 1 level of the Bad Omen effect, which can cause a raid to occur if they enter a village (unless the raid captain actually spawned in a raid, in which case it does not give a Bad Omen). The captain drops its ominous banner as well; another illager nearby can pick it up to become the next captain.
Both patrol and outpost captains grant one level of Bad Omen when killed, but captains found in raids themselves never give Bad Omen.
Raid captains have the same behavior in Bedrock Edition as they do in Java Edition, but the maximum level of Bad Omen raid captains can give is one level, as Bad Omen I is the only level available. If a player with Bad Omen kills another raid captain, the Bad Omen level remains at one and the effect timer does not reset.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Monster Hunter||Attack and destroy a monster.||Kill a hostile mob or one of the following neutral mobs: enderman, zombified piglin, spider, cave spider.||15G||Bronze|
|I've got a bad feeling about this||Kill a Pillager Captain.||—||20G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Voluntary Exile||Kill a raid captain.|
Maybe consider staying away from villages for the time being...
|Adventure||Kill an entity in the |
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 34 mobs. Other mobs, if any, may be killed, but are ignored for this advancement.|
|Entity||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID|
|1.14||18w45a||Added raid captains, which spawned as part of illager patrols.|
|18w47a||Added raids, which also include raid captains.|
|18w49a||Raid captains can now be killed multiple times to stack Bad Omen.|
|18w50a||Raid captains can now spawn at pillager outposts.|
|Raid captains in outposts grant 1 level of bad omen, while raid captains in patrols can grant 1-3.|
|19w13a||Raid captains grant only 1 level of bad omen now.|
|1.11.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Added pillager captains.|
|Currently do not inflict bad omen on the player after being killed.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||Illagers now properly follow captains during illager patrols.|
|Pillager captains now properly give a bad omen when killed.|
|1.12.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Pillager captains now properly drop their illager banners when killed.|
|The bad omen is now only received when killing the captain, not when damaging it with a ranged weapon.|
|Illagers can now properly be turned into captains via tags.|
|1.16.0||beta 220.127.116.11||When a raid captain is killed, nearby pillagers now rush toward the illager banner to pick it up and become the next raid captain.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.91||Added pillager captains.|
- Though illusioners are unused, they can also be spawned as a raid captain.