|This page would benefit from the addition of more images.|
Please remove this notice once you've added suitable images to the article. The specific instructions are: The rendering image for illager captains
|This article is a stub.|
Please help us by expanding it.
Java Edition only
|This page contains content on features that may be included in the next update.|
These features have appeared in development versions, but the full update containing these features has not been released yet.
Illager captains spawn in the same conditions and occurrences of any illager, with no special occasions having one spawn and one spawning being completely randomized.
|Type of illager||Illager patrol||Raid||Pillager outpost||Woodland mansion|
|Pillager||Yes, once||Yes, multiple times||Yes, multiple times||Never|
|Vindicator||Yes, once||Yes, multiple times||Never||Yes, multiple times|
|Evoker||Never||Yes, rarely||Never||Yes, rarely|
As part of raids sometimes a illager captain will spawn as a part of a group of pillagers. The captain will still grant the player Bad Omen, which can in turn trigger another raid if the player is still in a village boundary.
Usually 1-3 Illager captains will also spawn in a pillager outpost, which are always pillagers.
Upon death, any illager captain can drop:
- 0–2 Arrows, dropping more with the presence of Looting, up to 5[Bedrock Edition only].
- Its crossbow (can be loaded or unloaded) which has an 8.5% chance to be dropped (9.5% with Looting I, 10.5% with Looting II and 11.5% with Looting III). It will have a random durability, and can be enchanted.
- 0–1 emeralds, with the maximum increasing by 1 for every level of Looting.
- 8.5% chance of dropping their iron axe, which increases by 1 percentage point per level of Looting.
- 1 Totem of Undying
- 0–1 Emerald if killed by the player.
- Looting increases the maximum drop of emeralds by 1 per level, up to 4 emeralds.
- Looting doesn't affect the totem of undying.
Illager captains usually act the same as if they were a normal illager, but other illagers behind them will follow them and usually the captain will take the lead ahead of the other illagers. Once a illager captain is killed by a player, the player will be inflicted with the bad omen effect, which can cause a raid to occur. The captain will drop its illager banner as well, and other illagers nearby will try and pick up that banner and become the next captain.
Illager captains are designated differently, depending if they spawned at a outpost or in a illager patrol. Patrol captains will be able to grant at least 1-3 levels of bad omen, while outpost captains will only be able to grant 1 level.
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.14||18w45a||Added illager captains, which spawned as part of illager patrols.|
|18w47a||Added raids, which also include illager captains.|
|18w49a||Illager captains can now be killed multiple times to stack Bad Omen.|
|18w50a||Illager captains can now spawn at pillager outposts.|
|Illager captains in outposts will grant 1 level of bad omen, whilst illager captains in patrols will be able to grant 1-3.|