An illager is a type of hostile mob that has features resembling a villager, wandering trader, zombie villager and witch. Illagers are considered "exiled", "outcast", or "offshoot" villagers because they pursue and attack players, villagers, wandering traders, snow golems [Bedrock Edition only], and iron golems.
Only the pillager, vindicator, and evoker can spawn naturally. The illusioner is exclusive to Java Edition, and is unused. Vexes can be summoned only by evokers, who can spawn in woodland mansions and raids, and ravagers spawn exclusively in raids.
- Evoker — summons vexes and evoker fangs. Spawns in woodland mansions and raids.
- Illusioner[Java Edition only] — attacks with a bow, can inflict Blindness, and can summon duplicates while becoming invisible. Does not spawn naturally.
- Pillager — attacks with a crossbow. Spawns in patrols, pillager outposts, and raids.
- Ravager — ridden by pillagers or evokers, or unridden during raids; considered an illager only in Bedrock Edition and in Legacy Console Edition. In Java Edition, ravagers can also ridden by vindicators during raids.
- Vindicator — attacks with an iron axe; can break down doors like zombies, in normal or hard mode. Spawns in woodland mansions, raids, and patrols.[Bedrock Edition only]
There are 3 specific criteria for a mob to be considered an illager:
- "Johnny" vindicators do not attack the mob.
- The mob cannot be damaged by evoker fangs.
- The mob does not fight back when hit by an arrow shot by a pillager or illusioner.[Java Edition only]
Illagers don't spawn alone. They always spawn naturally in groups such as patrols or raids, or inside their structures.
Illagers sometimes have their own "leader/captain". Any illager has a small chance to become a raid captain with ominous banner, even when summoned by commands, or when using a spawn egg.[Java Edition only]
Monsters that spawn in raids
- Ravager — not an illager in Java Edition because "Johnny" vindicators attack them without being attacked by the ravager in return.
- Vex — "Johnny" vindicators attack them. They spawn when summoned by an evoker.
- Witch — "Johnny" vindicators attack them, and they also take damage from evoker fangs. If a witch is hit by a pillager or "Johnny" vindicator, the witch does not fight back.[Java Edition only] A witch is not hostile to iron or snow golems.[Java Edition only]