|— Jens Bergensten|
- Evoker — summons vexes and evoker fangs. Spawns in woodland mansions and raids.
- Illusioner[JE only][unused mob] — attacks with a bow, may inflict Blindness and summon duplicates while becoming invisible.
- Pillager — the most common illager. Attacks with a crossbow. Passive when unarmed. Spawns in patrols, pillager outposts, and raids.
- Ravager — destroys crops in village. May be ridden by pillagers or evokers during raids. In Java Edition, ravagers can also be ridden by vindicators during raids.
- Vindicator — attacks with an iron axe; breaks wooden doors in normal or hard modes[JE only] during raids[BE only]. Spawns in woodland mansions or raids.
- Sometimes they may spawn in patrols, in Hard difficulty.[BE only]
There are 3 specific criteria for a mob to be considered an illager:
- "Johnny" vindicators do not attack the mob.
- The mob cannot be damaged by evoker fangs.
- The mob does not fight back when hit by a missed arrow shot by a pillager or illusioner[JE only].
Monsters that spawn in raids (Non-illager)
- Ravager — not an illager in Java Edition because "Johnny" vindicators attack them without being attacked by the ravager in return.
- Vex — "Johnny" vindicators attack them. They spawn when summoned by an evoker.
- Witch — Witches spawn in raids above normal difficulty and splash Potions of Regeneration on illagers.[Java Edition only] In addition, if a witch is hit by a pillager or "Johnny" vindicator, the witch does not fight back.[Java Edition only] However, "Johnny" vindicators attack them, and they take damage from evoker fangs. Witches are also neutral to iron and snow golems.[Java Edition only]
Vindicators and evokers that spawn naturally in Woodland Mansions do not despawn.
Ravagers spawn exclusively in raids.
Illagers have their own in-game events, led by raid captains:
- Patrols — a naturally spawned group of pillagers roaming the landscape. The group can include a vindicator in Bedrock Edition.
- Raid — a group of illagers spawn and attack a village. It is triggered when a player with the Bad Omen status effect enters a village.
Killing a raid captain in patrols, in mansion[JE only] or in an outpost inflicts the player with the Bad Omen effect, which triggers a raid when that player enters a village with the effect still active.
Vindicators can open doors like villagers during raids. They can also break wooden doors like zombies rarely during raids in normal or hard difficulty. (If they can't open doors successfully, they might try to break down the door.)
All of them can spawn reinforcements when hit. Their reinforcements include other illagers and ravagers.
Illagers do not retaliate when hit by a missed arrow shot by a pillager or illusioner.
A vindicator disables the player's shield with its iron axe attack, even when riding a mob. For example, a player may not survive trying to land a melee attack on a vindicator that rides a ravager during a raid in Hard difficulty. The vindicator rider can deal great damage to the players without shield block.
Illager pick up ominous banner drop by raid captain during raid.
- Illager structures are always themed around dark oak wood.
- The ominous banner [JE only] / illager banner [BE & EE only] is uncraftable. The player can only obtain it by killing a raid captain, either from pillager outposts or through the use of commands.
- All illagers' eyes are green[BE & EE only] with the exception of vindicators,[JE only] which have blue eyes. In the Texture Update, vindicators and illusioners were changed have to green eyes, but in the Java snapshot 18w47b the color of the vindicator's eyes was turned to blue again. This might be a reference to The Shining Easter Egg for the "Johnny" vindicator.
- "Meet the Vindicator" – Minecraft.net, June 20, 2017