Igloos naturally generate in the snowy tundra and snowy taiga biomes, but not in snowy mountains, ice spikes, snowy taiga hills, or other variants.
In half of all igloos, a trapdoor can be found under the carpet (the third white carpet straight ahead from the doorway), leading down a long ladder shaft to a basement. This passageway and the basement are built from stone brick, some of which are infested blocks. In this basement there is a brewing stand, a cauldron, a chest, and beyond the far wall, behind iron bars in two different cages, are a villager and a zombie villager. The zombie villager can be cured with a golden apple and a splash potion of weakness, both found inside the igloo. In Java Edition, these are always clerics and zombie clerics because the brewing stand will automatically set their job as such unless the stand is broken before the cure, and in Bedrock Edition, they can be any type of villager or zombie villager, though they can change their profession to cleric and leatherworker, due to the presence of the brewing stand and cauldron.
Igloos that generate without a basement have a snow block in place of the trapdoor.
One may access the individual structures of an igloo by using structure blocks to manually load them from the
/data/structures/igloo folder in version.jar. To do so, set a structure block to Load mode, enter
igloo/structure name, and press
[LOAD]. The individual structures are
|Structure name||Description||Consists of||Images|
|top||The above-ground room of the igloo, made of snow blocks.||94 Snow Block,
9 White Carpet,
1 Oak Trapdoor,
1 Red Bed,
|middle||The stone tunnel that connects the room above with the basement.||12 Stone Bricks,
|bottom||The basement, made of various stone blocks and infested stone blocks, containing a villager and a zombie villager.||104 Stone Bricks,
4 Iron Bars,
2 Red Carpet,
1 Oak Sign,
1 Spruce Slab,
Each igloo chest contains items drawn from 2 pools, with the following distribution:
|Stack Size||Weight||# Items||Chance||# Chests|
|1.9||October 20, 2015||Searge reveals he is working on a new structure to showcase the new 'loot table' feature.|
|15w43b||Golden apples in the igloo chests now have a 100% chance of appearing, where previously they would often not appear – it was moved from the structure file to the loot table.|
|Golden apples originally would always be found in the central slot when they were found at all; now they can be found in any slot.|
|15w43c||Glass bottle was removed from brewing stand.|
|Cobweb is now found in the basement.|
|Sign in the basement previously read: |
---> <---and now reads:
××××- ×××-- --×× ×-× ×-×× -×× --××× ×××--
|15w44a||The red carpet in the basement now hides a block of polished andesite.|
|Sign in the basement is back to its old form: |
|1.13||?||In the structure block's data folder for the igloo the names of the parts of the structure |
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added igloos.|
|1.1.0||alpha 188.8.131.52||Igloos generated in ice plains now have a white bed instead of a red bed, those generated in cold taiga have a brown bed, and those generated in the stripe lands have a magenta bed.|
|1.10.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Igloos now generate with a red bed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU43||CU33||1.36||Patch 13||Added igloos.|
- If a number of items in the igloo furnace are smelted, light generated by it will melt the igloo window, turning the ice into a water source block.[Java and Legacy Console editions only]
- In real life, the name "Igloo" comes from the Inuit word Iglu, which means "house".
- Igloos are internally classified as a temple.[Bedrock Edition only]
- The igloo is the first structure to use signs.
- As of Village and Pillage, igloos with basements are registered as villages, due to having one villager and beds. Additionally, basements also generate job site blocks, which are brewing stands and cauldrons.
- The interior of the igloo is intentionally designed so that usage of the furnace melts the ice windows.
- It is possible for an Igloo to generate on a cliff or other incline, causing its secret area to be wholly or partially exposed.
The trapdoor revealed in an igloo; get in by taking out carpet.
The igloo basement intersecting a dungeon, missing one of the jail cells.
- resolved as "Works as Intended"