The Gamepedia and Fandom account systems have now been merged. If your username is incorrect, you have accounts on both platforms that weren't merged, or you have trouble signing in, please submit a support ticket.
When killed, adult hoglins drop:
- 2–4 raw porkchop (cooked porkchop while on fire). The maximum amount is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 7 with Looting III.
- 0–2 leather. The maximum amount is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 5 with Looting III.
- In Java Edition, 5 if killed by a player or tamed wolf.
- Baby hoglins drop only experience.[Java Edition only]
- In Bedrock Edition, adult hoglins drop 1–3, if killed by a player or tamed wolf, while baby hoglins drop no experience.
Hoglins avoid warped fungi (including in a flower pot), nether portals, and respawn anchors. They naturally sink in water and eventually drown, despite being living mobs; this is intentional behavior. They are not immune to fire or lava. Hoglins can be led with a lead despite the fact they are hostile.
Hoglins attack any player within 32 blocks, and hit about 2 blocks away. When an adult hoglin attacks, it flings a player into the air. Players can still be flung even if they block with a shield. Baby hoglins also attack, dealing less damage without flinging. If the player attacks a baby hoglin, it flees. Hoglins do not attack a player standing near a block that repels them, but will instead run away from the block. This is unless they have already chosen to attack. Hoglins are 60% resistant to knockback.
Hoglins are hostile to piglins if a piglin attacks first. However, they never attack piglins unprovoked. Hoglins also avoid piglins if outnumbered.
Baby piglins run near, and ride, baby hoglins. If there are more baby piglins than baby hoglins, the baby piglins occasionally jump on other baby piglins already riding a baby hoglin, with a maximum of 3 stacked on a single baby hoglin.
If a hoglin spawns in or moves to the Overworld or the End, it shakes and turns into a zoglin after 15 seconds. Any lead attached to the hoglin breaks when it converts. An unknown status effect also is applied.
Hoglins can be bred with crimson fungi. It takes about 5 minutes before the parents can breed again, and it takes 20 minutes for baby hoglins to mature. They stay near their parents unless they see a player or get attacked, in which case they run away. Feeding a baby hoglin reduces the remaining time for it to mature by 10%.
Hoglins cannot be bred when they are running away from warped fungi, respawn anchors or Nether portals.
Because hoglins are hostile toward the player, the player can corral hoglins they want to breed, although hoglins can attack over fences and walls, so precaution is needed. Hoglins despawn unless they have been fed or bred using crimson fungi.
Hoglins become passive while near warped fungi, nether portals, and respawn anchors. If there are too many in an area, they may still become hostile for a while if attacked. And if one is set upon attacking, sometimes others become hostile, too. They become passive again if they lose line of sight from the player.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation distance|
|Hoglin grunts||Hostile Creatures||?||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin hurts||Hostile Creatures||?||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin dies||Hostile Creatures||?||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin retreats||Hostile Creatures||?||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin grunts angrily||Hostile Creatures||?||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin attacks||Hostile Creatures||?||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin steps||Hostile Creatures||?||0.9||1||16|
|Hoglin converts to Zoglin||Hostile Creatures||?||0.9||1||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Hoglins have entity data associated with them that contains various properties.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- Additional fields for mobs that can breed see Template:Nbt inherit/breedable/template
- IsImmuneToZombification: 1 or 0 (true/false) – If set to
true, the hoglin does not transform to a zoglin when in the Overworld and
TimeInOverworlddoes not increment.
- TimeInOverworld - The number of ticks that the hoglin has existed in the Overworld; the hoglin converts to a zoglin when this is greater than 300.
- CannotBeHunted: 1 or 0 (true/false) - If
true, piglins do not attack the hoglin.. Set as such to hoglins spawned as part of bastion remnants.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.|
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 33 mobs. In Java Edition 1.16.2[upcoming], piglin brutes can also be killed for this advancement. Other mobs, if any, may be killed, but are ignored for this advancement.|
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 33 mobs. In Java Edition 1.16.2[upcoming], piglin brutes are also required for this advancement. Other mobs, if any, may be killed, but are ignored for this advancement.|
|The Parrots and the Bats||Breed two animals together||Husbandry||—|
|Two by Two||Breed all the animals!||The Parrots and the Bats||Breed pairs of each of these 19 mobs. A trader llama does not count as a llama, and a mule must be the result of breeding a horse and a donkey for this advancement as they are not breedable together. Other breedable mobs, if any, can be bred, but are ignored for this advancement.|
|September 28, 2019||Piglin beasts are announced at MINECON Live 2019. They have a noticably slanted body section and two versions were shown with differing eye spacings.|
|October 19, 2019||"Piglin Beast" has been retextured, remodeled, and renamed to "Hoglin".|
|December 5, 2019||A video shows a baby hoglin.|
|Currently, the mane texture of hoglins has a texture glitch.|
|Hoglins currently have no function of attacking the player when provoked or breeding them.|
|Hoglins drop rotten flesh.|
|The hitbox size of hoglins is currently the same as an adult pig's hitbox.|
|20w07a||Added baby hoglins.|
|Hoglins now drop raw porkchops and leather.|
|Hoglins can now be bred with crimson fungi.|
|Hoglins are now hostile toward the player.|
|Hoglins now have their own sounds and subtitles.|
|Hoglins now run away from warped fungi.|
|20w09a||The textures of hoglins have been changed.|
|The texture of the mane of hoglins has been fixed, which has changed the textures from to . Also, the color channels of the transparent pixels have now all been filled with black.|
|Baby hoglins can now be ridden by baby piglins.|
|20w11a||Baby hoglins now drop experience.|
|20w14a||Hoglins are now converted into zoglins when in the Overworld.|
|Hoglins now avoid nether portals and respawn anchors.|
|The texture file of hoglins has been downscaled and their parts rearranged, meaning the file now looks like this instead of this .|
|20w15a||Baby hoglins no longer drop loot.|
|20w16a||Hoglins now spawn in bastion remnants.|
|20w17a||One of the new converts to zoglin sounds has been added.|
|20w19a||Hoglins now become zoglins when in the End.|
|Pre-release 6||Hoglins now have a knockback resistance of 0.6 instead of 0.5.|
|Hoglins now have separate textures for each tusk.|
|1.16.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Added hoglins and baby hoglins.|
|The hitbox size of hoglins is currently the same as an adult pig's hitbox.|
|Hoglins take damage from fire and lava.|
|Hoglins currently use the player's hurt sound.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||The model of hoglins has now been changed to match Java Edition's.|
|However, baby hoglins still do not have big-sized heads, unlike Java Edition.|
|Hoglins now have sounds.|
|Hoglins now spawn in bastion remnants.|
|Hoglins can now drop leather when killed.|
|Hoglins are now converted into zoglins when in the Overworld.|
|The attack damage of adult hoglins is now on a random scale.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||The model of baby hoglins has now been changed: they now have big heads like in Java Edition.|
|Sounds for hoglins converting to zoglins have been added.|
|Hoglins now flee from zoglins.|
|Hoglins no longer despawn in Peaceful mode.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||Hoglins now have knockback resistance.|
|Hoglins no longer flee from zoglins.|
- Similarly to the ravager originally being called "Illager Beast" before its official name was chosen by the community, the Hoglin's name was also chosen by the community. Its initial placeholder name was "Piglin Beast".
- In Peaceful difficulty, Hoglins are passive to the player.
- Hoglins are the only hostile mobs, other than the unused killer bunny, that can be bred.
- Baby hoglins are the only baby mobs that both grow up and drop experience when killed.
- In Bedrock Edition, there are unused texture files named
hoglin_meat_cookedthat are textured identically to raw beef and steak, respectively.
- Hoglins are the only general nether mob that does not spawn in the nether wastes biome.
- Henrik Kniberg released a video of a group of hoglins killing a piglin, then "celebrating" by bobbing their heads, then getting on their hind legs and dancing. This feature was never added into any snapshot and is not actually in Minecraft because it was made as a joke.
- However, piglins do have a 10% chance to celebrate after killing a hoglin.
A preview of hoglins in the crimson forest.
A preview of a hoglin along with a piglin in the crimson forest.
These images were showcased at Minecon Live 2019 or afterward, but before hoglins were added in 20w06a.
Hoglins, showing a crooked model.
An early model of the hoglin attacked by piglins.
An early model of the hoglin attacking the player.
- [Invalid]: "We're closing Hoglin related bugs as the feature implemented right now is basically a placeholder."