Join us on Discord!
From Minecraft Wiki
Welcome to the Minecraft Wiki! The following help section is created and edited by wiki users, just like the rest of the wiki.
Experienced with Minecraft, but new to wikis?
- A wiki is designed to allow every user to edit its content. If you see something you think could be improved about the Minecraft Wiki, improve it! Just click the "Edit" tab at the top of most pages to edit their contents. You may have to create an account or log in before you're able to edit pages without your IP Address being displayed in the edit history – but it's free and takes under a minute to do so.
- Don't be afraid to edit. Part of the wiki system is an integrated version tracking system, so there's never a fear of losing something. If you make a mistake, you or someone else can easily fix it – so take the initiative and make a change if you think it's useful. (Tip: when editing, you can also use the "Show preview" button to check how the page will look before you save it!)
- Don't worry if you just want to make a small change, though – go ahead and do it; someone can always easily update it later for consistency if needed.
- If you need a basic guide to the formatting syntax used for editing pages, take a look at the editing help page.
- If you want to experiment with wiki code someplace other than an actual article page, you can use the public sandbox or your own sandbox.
- Once you feel comfortable with wiki syntax, feel free to start adding your Minecraft knowledge to the articles. Just make sure your edit is not in violation of the wiki rules, and if you are editing formatting or writing style, check to make sure it agrees with the style guide.
- If you are comfortable on making a major edit on a page, but takes several edits to do so, make sure you add the template Template:In use on top of the article before anything else.
- Some pages are protected, and can only be edited if you have confirmed your email address or if you are an administrator. However, you are still able to view its source by clicking the "View source" tab above the page.
Experienced with wikis, but new to Minecraft?
- The Minecraft Wiki is designed to be a reference for just about all things Minecraft-related. Feel free to create articles on topics as you encounter them if they fit our notability, and of course to use the Minecraft Wiki as a helpful guide to your Minecraft experience.
- If you've worked with wikis before, then all of the standard formatting will be familiar.
New to everything?
- If you're looking to find information, the best place to start is either browsing from the main page, using the links in the left sidebar, or using the search box at the top of the page.
- If you don't find what you're looking for, remember that the Minecraft Wiki is made up of articles contributed by its users – it might just be that no one has written about that topic yet! So create one!
- If you want to contribute (perhaps you found a topic that didn't have any info when you were looking for it, and now you know more about it), go for it! The editing help page has the basics of how to use wiki formatting, and the style guide has the standard practice on the wiki. You can edit any page just by clicking the "Edit" tab at the top.
- If you want to create a new page, just type the name in the search box on the left and click Go – if it doesn't exist, you'll be given the option to edit it as new. Just make sure the topic of the page fits our notability.
- If you're unsure about something to add, use the "Talk" page. This is recommended especially when adding out-of-site links or bigger changes on pages.
- Enjoy your exploration of Minecraft!
|Rules and guidelines|