Grass, Fern, Double variants: Yes
See Data values
See Data values
Grass[Java and Bedrock editions only] or tall grass[Legacy Console Edition only] is a non-solid plant block that has wheat seeds as a drop. Its color is biome-dependent, and matches the color of grass blocks.
Ferns are variants of grass found only in certain biomes and have the same characteristics as grass.
Shrubs are variants of grass that don't generate naturally and are only found in the Bedrock and Legacy Console Editions. It has the same characteristics as grass and ferns and has the same texture as dead bushes[Legacy Console Edition only] and grass.[Bedrock Edition only]
The double tall grass and large ferns will drop two of the respective single block when broken using shears.
Legacy Console Edition
In Legacy Console Edition, shrubs use the same texture as dead bushes, except that they will occasionally drop wheat seeds instead of sticks, and is randomly offset from the center of its block like grass. In this version, shrubs are available in the Creative inventory and have a green biome-dependent hue.
In Bedrock Edition, shrubs can only be obtained via the
/give command. They are named 'Fern' instead of 'Shrub' and share the same texture as grass unlike in Legacy Console Edition, where they share the same texture as dead bushes.
All variants of grass have a 1/8 chance of dropping wheat seeds when broken without using shears.
Ferns can be placed in flower pots.
|Name||ID Name||Numeral ID|
- See also: Data values
In Bedrock Edition, grass uses the following data values:
- double plant
|8||Top Half of any Large Plant; low three bits 0x7 are derived from the block below.|
- See also: Block states
Tall grass and large fern
|half||The half of the plant contained in this block.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.6||Test Build 3||Tall grass was implemented. Seeds used to be produced by tilling grass blocks prior to this update.|
|1.6.6||Bone meal can be used to instantly grow tall grass on grass blocks.|
|1.8||Pre-release||Grass and ferns can now be harvested with shears. Previously, tall grass could not be acquired as an item without the use of external tools. Tall grass in the inventory would appear as its grayscale texture, and would appear as the 'shrub' variety or the dead bush when placed.|
|Swamp biomes have been redesigned and rain forest biomes are removed entirely, so triangular ferns no longer generate.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 6||Ferns are available in the creative inventory.|
|1.2.1||12w03a||Ferns generate in jungle biomes.|
|12w05a||Placing a block while selecting grass now overwrites the grass, similar to snow. Previously, grass had to be broken to place blocks in that space.|
|1.5.1||?||Tall grass with a damage value of 3 or higher is still called 'grass', and still has green biome coloring, but is now shaped like a shrub or dead bush.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Added double tall grass and large ferns. Ferns now spawn in taiga and cold taiga biomes.|
|1.8||?||Green colored shrubs (damage value 3 or greater) now look like normal shrubs.|
|1.13||17w47a||The different block states for the |
|Double tall grass has been renamed to tall grass, and it has a new ID: |
|Merged the shrub's ID with the regular dead bush one (|
|Prior to The Flattening, these block's numeral IDs were 31 and 175.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|Pre-release||Tall grass added, but unobtainable.|
|0.5.0||Now drops seeds, despite remaining unobtainable.|
|0.8.0||?||Tall grass and ferns now generate.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added double tall grass and large ferns.|
|Double tall grass and ferns now generate.|
|build 5||Tall grass is no longer flammable.|
|0.11.0||build 14||Double tallgrass and large fern pixels are now square.|
|Tall grass and ferns now have a random height.|
|0.12.1||?||One-block high grass and ferns can now occupy the same space as snow layers.|
|0.14.0||build 3||Hitboxes of all variants of tall grass no longer occupy an entire block.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Patch s1||Grass, tall grass and fern added.|
|TU7||Added ferns to creative.|
|TU12||Placing a block while selecting grass now overwrites the grass, similar to snow. Previously, grass had to be broken to place blocks in that space.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- Grass cannot be directly set on fire from lightning. However, fire from nearby blocks can spread to it. Oddly enough, the top of grass can be lit but it will not burn this way. When any kind of tall grass is set on fire, the fire seems to hover just over the grass, as if it were a full block.
- Even though ferns do not produce seeds in real life, as they emit spores instead, they can drop seeds if broken.
- Grass is slightly offset from the block it is sitting on (as seen in the second screenshot). This causes fields of grass appear more contiguous and not like dotted patches of hair atop blocks.
- This can sometimes cause grass to clip horizontally or vertically through block corners.
- Grass can appear in caves on dirt near lava, and rarely, within a few blocks of bedrock. It can also generate in a village house.
- Using bone meal on grass in a spawn-protected area on a server will still produce tall grass and flowers.
- Placing any block on grass will overwrite the grass, and will not drop seeds.
- When being chased by mobs, hiding in double tallgrass will often cause them to lose sight of players, even if they are a few blocks away. Sugar cane also has this property.
Grass appears slightly offset from a grass block.
Grass and ferns in Bedrock Edition have a randomly selected height.
Grass growing in an abandoned mineshaft.
Tall grass that was set on fire using flint and steel.
Double tall grass may stump most hostile mobs, such as this Creeper however mobs may be able to attack if they're right next to the player.
Shrubs in the Legacy Console Edition, placed in an intersection between a taiga, a roofed forest and a desert.
– "tall grass texture goes through blocks" resolved as "Won't Fix" – "Grass shows through block" resolved as "Works as Intended"