|Items usable on|
Groups of 2 to 3 goats spawn on extreme hills at the surface at a light level of 7 or higher, however, mountains is only a temporary spawn.
Sometimes, a goat jumps up to 10 blocks high into the air. This usually happens if the goat is trying to cross an obstacle like a small hole in the ground or powder snow.
Goats take 20 × 10 less fall damage and also avoid walking into powder snow. While avoiding walking over powder snow, they also might jump over it, sometimes even in a narrow jumping area.
Every 10–15 seconds, if a goat has seen a mob or player who has not moved since, the goat attacks from up to 16 blocks away, except for other goats. After choosing something to attack, the goat performs a small charging animation, then runs quickly toward the target and hits them, dealing significant knockback. The ram can travel up to 9 blocks.
If the goat misses and instead hits a block, it has a chance of dropping a goat horn. If both horns are dropped, then no more goat horns are dropped when the goat charges a block.
Goats do not attack back if attacked by a player or mob. When attacked, they exhibit the same panicky fleeing that passive mobs exhibit.
Goats follow players that are within 10 blocks who are holding wheat. If goats are fed wheat, they enter love mode and breed. Like other animals that can breed, the player is granted 1–7 experience when they are bred.
- 1–2 raw mutton (cooked mutton if killed while on fire). The maximum amount is increased by 1 per level of Looting, for a maximum of 1–5 with Looting III.
Upon successful breeding, 1–7 is dropped.
|Hostile Creatures||Goat prepares to ram charge[sound 1]||1.0||0.8, 1.2|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|September 28, 2019||Goats are announced to be part of the Mountains biome in the biome vote at MINECON Live 2019|
|Mountains wins the biome vote, including goats in the planned biome.|
|October 3, 2020||In-game footage of goats are shown at Minecraft Live 2020, to be released in the Caves & Cliffs update.|
|1.16.200||beta 22.214.171.124||Added goats and kids, which are available only via Experimental Gameplay.|
|Goats make the sound of a player being hit.|
|Goats currently uses the vex's charging sound as a placeholder when preparing to ram charge.|
|release||Goats have been made inaccessible in the full release.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.16.210||beta 126.96.36.199||Goats now only drop 2 goat horns each.|
|Goats now drop 1-2 mutton.|
|Goats now show missing goat horns in the model.|
|Baby goats now have half knockback when using a ram attack.|
|Goats no longer attack armor stands.|
|Goats now attack shulkers.|
|Goats now only produce one baby goat at a time when breeding.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||Goats now avoid walking onto powder snow while path-finding.|
- Goats are the fifth mob that were added to a Bedrock Edition beta before a Java Edition snapshot. The first four mobs this happened for were dolphins, pandas, cats and piglin brutes.
- Goats are the first neutral mob that does not fight back after being hit.
- The model for Goats was made in Blockbench.
- Goats are one of the 4 mobs that were added as a result of the community voting for it, the others being the Phantom, Fox, and Glow Squid.
- Goats are present in the Bedrock Edition 1.16.200 full release, though they can only be obtained through add-ons.
Goat knockbacks the cow away.
- "Minecraft Beta - 184.108.40.206 (Xbox One/Windows 10/Android)" – Minecraft Feedback, October 28, 2020.
- – "Goat attacks armor stands" – resolved as "Fixed"
- "Goats, made in Blockbench:" – @blockbench