|Catches fire from lava||
Glow Lichens are non-solid blocks, 1⁄16 of a block in thickness that can be placed on all the sides of a solid block.
Glow Lichen is naturally generated on stone, andesite, diorite, granite, calcite, tuff, deepslate and dripstone blocks underground.[more information needed] It generates more frequently in ravines. It can be generated underwater as well in oceans.
Using bone meal will spread it on a random adjacent block if possible, otherwise the bone meal will be wasted. It is possible to cover the sides and the top of an adjacent block by bonemealing one lichen, but not the back. Otherwise, Glow Lichen does not spread naturally.
Glow Lichens can be destroyed with anything, but using shears is the only way to collect them. Efficiency on Shears has no effect when used with Glow Lichens. Breaking them with an axe is the fastest, although they will not drop, even with Silk Touch.
- Times are for unenchanted tools as wielded by players with no status effects, measured in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
Glow Lichen emit a light level of 7.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Block broken||Blocks||Breaking the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||0.75||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||Mining the block||0.25||0.5||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||Placing the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||?||?||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Form||Translation key|
|Glow Lichen||Block & Item|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|down||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the bottom.|
|east||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the east.|
|north||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the north.|
|south||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the south.|
|up||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the top.|
|waterlogged||Whether or not there's water in the same place as this glow lichen.|
|west||When true, a glow lichen texture is displayed on the west.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
Added glow lichen.
|Glow lichen placed inside lava converts the lava into waterlogged lichen, even in the Nether.|
|21w05a||Waterlogged glow lichen no longer forms when placed in lava.|
|21w07a||Can now be naturally generated on deepslate.|
- If the player removes all directional states using a debug stick, the block will be invisible but the light emission will remain, unless another block is placed there.
- In 21w03a, placing Glow Lichen inside a lava source caused the lava to convert to waterlogged lichen, even in the Nether. This was a bug in the code, most likely swapping the 2 liquids.
- The flowing water can also be converted into water sources using kelp.
Glow lichens in an Amethyst Geode.
- 21w05a" – resolved as "Fixed in