Join us on Discord!
Height: 11.7 Blocks
Light >11 AND <8 - Conditions can't be met in vanilla
Giants drop 5 experience when killed.
No biome includes giants on its spawn list, so they will never spawn naturally. (The earliest available Infdev build (June 18, 2010) does not include Giants in the global spawn list.)
Additionally, giants simultaneously require a light level greater than 11 and less than 8. This effectively makes it impossible to make them appear through spawners.
Giants are close to 12 blocks tall, and use a six times enlarged zombie model.
Giants currently have no AI. The consequence of this is that they always face south when summoned and stay that way, never wandering, turning their head, chasing the player, or responding to damage except for taking knockback. Their viewing direction can only be changed with commands.
- See also: Chunk format
Giants have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob. Their entity ID is
|0.31 (February 5, 2010)||Added giants.|
|Giants acted like any normal hostile mob – they'd walk towards the player until they were touching them. However, the giant couldn't "touch" anything unless standing on top of it, making it hard for them to do combat against opponents.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Giants can be spawned without mods by using the new
|1.8||14w06a||Armor on giants is now rendered. This originated from a bug in 14w05a which caused all mobs to render worn armor. In repairing this bug, Grum allowed giants to render armor.|
|Giants' AI was removed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||Added giants, which cannot be spawned without modifying the game.|
- Since giants need to have a light level both less than 8 and greater than 11 to spawn, they don't spawn from monster spawners. However, this spawn condition can be bypassed with a custom spawner, if it attempts to spawn an entity with valid spawn conditions riding a giant.
- If you name a giant using a name tag, its name will appear inside its head.
- Giants share the exact same model as the zombie. This means that changes made to the zombie model change the giant's as well.
- Notch removed the giants spawning capabilities because "they are too overpowered". He did not remove them entirely because "they are just too cool to remove".
- If a giant is riding a minecart, it hovers way above it.
- If a mob is riding a giant, unless it's a very large slime or magma cube, a ghast or the ender dragon, it is completely hidden from view by the giant's head.
- Giants are damaged by potions of harming despite the fact that they use the Zombie model which is an undead mob.
- Giants have the same hurt sound as the player does.
- The giant's head and torso are not included in its hitbox, meaning hitting it in those areas will not hurt the giant.
- Iron golems are hostile towards giants.
A giant "riding" a minecart.