Height: 11.7 Blocks
Light >11 and <8
Giants drop 5 experience when killed and have a chance of dropping some of its equipment, if it has any.
No biome includes giants on their spawn list, so they will never spawn naturally. (The earliest available Infdev build (June 18, 2010) does not include Giants in the global spawn list.)
Additionally, giants simultaneously require a light level greater than 11 and less than 8. This effectively makes it impossible to make them appear through mob spawners.
Giants are close to 12 blocks tall, and use a six-times-enlarged zombie model.
Giants currently have no AI. The consequence of this is that they always face south when summoned and stay that way, never wandering, turning their head, chasing the player, or responding to damage except for taking knockback. Their viewing direction can only be changed with commands or if you shove them into a minecart that is facing another direction.
Giants have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
|Java Edition Indev|
|Giants act like any normal hostile mob – they will walk towards the player until they are touching them. However, the giant is not able to "touch" anything unless standing on top of it, making it hard for them to do combat against opponents.|
|1.0.0||RC1||Changed the hurt sounds that the Giant makes, since it was the same sound effect that was used when the Player was hurt. Any physical damage will play a "tick" sound, and damage from falling would play sounds like bones breaking, as in previous versions, whenever the Giant was damaged, they would make a deep "Ooh!" sound.|
|1.4.2||12w38a||Changed the hurt sounds for the Giant again.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Giants can now be spawned without mods by using the new |
|1.8||14w06a||Armor on giants is now rendered. This originated from a bug in 14w05a, which caused all mobs to render worn armor. In repairing this bug, Grum has now allowed giants to render armor.|
|Giants' AI has now been removed.|
|1.11||16w32a||Changed entity ID from |
|1.14||18w50a||Giants now use zombie AI (for instance, they will move and burn in sunlight) and NBT data.|
|Giants now have the zombie hurt sound effect.|
|Giants no longer have the player hurt sound effect.|
|Giants now move twice as fast as zombies and burn in the sun.|
|Giants now attack and infect villagers.|
|19w03a||Reverted all the changes in snapshot 18w50a.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||Added giants, which cannot be spawned without modifying the game.|
Giants are an unsupported mob and as such issues relating to them may not be fixed.
- Since giants need to have a light level both less than 8 and greater than 11 to spawn, they don't spawn from monster spawners. However, this spawn condition can be bypassed with a custom spawner, if it attempts to spawn an entity with valid spawn conditions riding a giant.
- If the player names a giant using a name tag, its name will appear inside its head.
- Giants share the exact same model as the zombie. This means that changes made to the zombie model change the giant's as well.
- Notch removed the giants spawning capabilities because "they are too overpowered". He did not remove them entirely because "they are just too cool to remove".
- If a giant is riding a minecart, it hovers way above it.
- If a mob is riding a giant, unless it's a very large slime or magma cube, a ghast or the ender dragon, it is completely hidden from view by the giant's head.
- Giants are damaged by potions of harming despite the fact that they use the zombie model, which is an undead mob.
- Giants have the same hurt sound as the player does.
- The giant's head and torso are not included in its hitbox, meaning hitting it in those areas will not hurt the giant.
- Iron golems are hostile towards giants.
- Giants, being capable of dealing 26 ( × 13) to 75 ( × 37.5), and having 100 ( × 50) health, means they are the strongest and hardest-to-kill mob in the game, capable of killing the player in one hit even in Easy difficulty.
A giant next to a normal size zombie.
A giant "riding" a minecart.
A giant in a cave.
A giant burning in a pool of lava.
A giant getting damaged by a splash potion of harming in night time.
A giant spawner.
A giant which spawned with a chainmail helmet and a iron shovel with the brand new Java Edition 1.14 AI.