The Frostburn Update is the name for Minecraft version 1.10, a major update that was released on Wednesday, June 8th, 2016. It added some new features such as skeleton/zombie variants in snowy biomes and deserts, polar bears, structure blocks for saving/loading structures in worlds, and an auto-jump feature.
The official name for the update, the Frostburn Update, was revealed on June 8, 2016, in a blog post on the Mojang website, the same day the update was released.
Development began very shortly after 1.9 (the Combat Update) was released, and snapshots began the week after 1.9.3 and 1.9.4 were released, in mid-May. Only 3 snapshots and 2 pre-releases were released between May 18th, 2016 and June 8th, 2016, making the Frostburn Update one of the quickest Minecraft updates to date.
Notable features[edit | edit source]
Additions[edit | edit source]
- 18 new sound events, plus 2 new ambient sounds.
- 4 new splashes.
- An "auto-jump" option (enabled by default), which automatically makes the player jump when running towards a one-block-tall obstacle.
- 1 new particle:
- 1 new command:
- 4 new NBT tags:
- 5 new blocks:
- 3 new mobs:
Changes[edit | edit source]
/tpcommand y-coordinate range increased.
- A huge amount of changes to world generation.
- Structure blocks can now be used in-game.
- Chorus fruit and ender pearls now teleport players from ride-able horses / pigs.
- Mobs can now shoot while they are in a boat.
- Endermen now spawn in the Nether.
- Magma cubes now spawn about twice as often.
- Skeletons now shoot the arrow they are holding in their off-hand.
- Wolves no longer despawn.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This update has the fewest amount of snapshots to date, with a mere 3 compared to the 20-30 from previous updates.
- The time span between the releases of 16w20a and 1.10-pre1 was only 2 weeks, unusual based on Mojang's history.
- This update's changelog continues the trend of having "Removed Herobrine" at the very end.
- The update had only 2 smaller versions: 1.10.1 and 1.10.2 which drastically shrunk from 1.8 (with 9 versions) and 1.9 (4 versions)
Further revisions[edit | edit source]
- 1.10.1 fixed "some of the most annoying reported bugs."
- 1.10.2 was released soon thereafter to fix a crash from 1.10.1.