The Gamepedia and Fandom account systems have now been merged. If your username is incorrect, you have accounts on both platforms that weren't merged, or you have trouble signing in, please submit a support ticket.
Flying is not limited by any processes such as food depletion, which limits sprinting. Flying can be toggled by double-tapping the "jump" key while playing in creative mode (or when the "Mayfly" permission has been given to you [Bedrock and Education editions only]) and can be activated at any altitude. The player can gain or lose altitude while flying by pressing the jump or sneak keys, respectively. Holding sprint allows you to move faster while flying. In Creative mode, flying is automatically disabled if the player lowers onto a surface while in the air. In Spectator mode, flying cannot be disabled because players can fly through all blocks. Flying increases the player's field of view by 10%, increased further when holding sprint. (You may have to try several times before this works.)
Flying makes the player move at around 10.92 meters/second (39.312 km/h), which is approximately 250% of the normal walking speed, being 4.36 meters/second (15.724 km/h). This is increased further when holding the sprint key to 21.6 meters/second (77.76 km/h). When flying, friction is reduced to a level equivalent to when on ice. A player flying in fluids or cobwebs neither sinks nor slows down. Speed effect do not increase flying speed. In the spectator mode, scrolling up on the scroll wheel increases speed while scrolling down decreases it. On the Java edition, players that stop flying drift a few blocks in the air, while in other versions, they come to a complete stop. Also, players on other versions keep flying if they touch the ground while flying, where on Java, players automatically stop flying if they touch any surface.
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.3.1||12w17a||The player no longer experiences the decrease in speed seen in Survival mode when traveling through fluids.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|?||Player with |
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU5||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added flying, with Creative mode|
- You can also sneak while flying by holding the space bar and left shift keys simultaneously during flight.
- If the player flies high enough in Creative mode, the sun or the moon can be seen through the fog when looking down, depending on which is below the horizon at the time; the player can also see the clouds at this time.
- A player who gets into a minecart or bed while flying resumes flying when leaving the minecart or bed.
- Players flying in the Void receive Void damage if they are below altitude -64, allowing them to fly a short distance beneath Void level (y=0).[Java Edition only]
- Tutorials/Flying technologies - technologies to make a construction or entity fly