Fishing is the process of obtaining items using a fishing rod.
Use a fishing rod to cast the line into a body of water. The position of the player does not matter; the player can be in the water, sitting in a boat, or standing on adjacent land. Fish can be caught just as readily in small, shallow, and/or player-created pools.
The bobber must be watched closely. Small splashes can be seen around the bobber.
There will be a period where the player must wait, randomly chosen from 5 to 45 seconds.
- Each level of Lure enchantment on the fishing rod will subtract 5 seconds from this wait time.
- If the bobber is not directly exposed to sun or moonlight,[note 1] the wait time will be approximately doubled.[note 2]
- If the bobber's block is being rained on,[note 3] the wait will be shortened by about 20%.[note 4]
After a period of waiting, a fish will approach and start to bite. A small trail of water particles will head towards the bobber (unseen if Particles is set to Minimal in Video Settings). When the bobber dips below the surface, immediately use the rod again to reel in the line. The window for reeling in when a fish bites is about half a second. If a bite is missed, the line can be left in the water to wait for another bite.
- A successful reel-in causes a raw cod , raw salmon, pufferfish, tropical fish, junk, or treasure (see below) to fly through the air towards the player. Normally, it will fly directly to the player's position, but if there are blocks in the way, it may bounce off at an angle.
- A successful reel-in also spawns an experience orb worth 1–6 experience points at the location of the player doing the fishing.
The line will disappear if the player wanders more than 32 blocks away from the bobber, or if the player stops holding a fishing rod. The rod will not be damaged by this.
If a fishing rod is used while underwater, the bobber will float up to the water's surface, unless a block is in the way or unless it hooks a mob such as squid.
Reeling in the fishing rod costs durability; see below.
Junk and treasures
The player can occasionally catch treasure or junk instead of fish. An unenchanted fishing rod has an 85% chance of catching fish, a 10% chance of catching junk, and a 5% chance of catching treasure. Each level of the Luck of the Sea enchantment decreases the chance of junk and fish, and increases the chance of treasure.
|Fish||Chance in Category[note 5]||Unenchanted Chance (85%)||LotS 1 (84.8%)||LotS 2 (84.7%)||LotS 3 (84.5%)|
|Treasure||Chance in Category[note 5]||Unenchanted Chance (5%)||LotS 1 (7.1%)||LotS 2 (9.2%)||LotS 3 (11.3%)|
|Bow[note 6]||14.3% (1⁄7)||13.9% (5⁄36)||0.8%||1.2%||1.5%||1.9%|
|Enchanted book[note 7]||14.3% (1⁄7)||16.7% (6⁄36)||0.8%||1.2%||1.5%||1.9%|
|Fishing Rod[note 6]||14.3% (1⁄7)||13.9% (5⁄36)||0.8%||1.2%||1.5%||1.9%|
|Name Tag||14.3% (1⁄7)||13.9% (5⁄36)||0.8%||1.2%||1.5%||1.9%|
|Nautilus Shell||14.3% (1⁄7)||13.9% (5⁄36)||0.8%||1.2%||1.5%||1.9%|
|Saddle||14.3% (1⁄7)||13.9% (5⁄36)||0.8%||1.2%||1.5%||1.9%|
|Lily Pad||14.3% (1⁄7)||13.9% (5⁄36)||0.8%||1.2%||1.5%||1.9%|
|Junk||Chance in Category[note 5]||Unenchanted Chance (10%)||LotS 1 (8.1%)||LotS 2 (6.1%)||LotS 3 (4.2%)|
|Fishing Rod[note 8]||2.4% (2⁄83)||0.2%||0.2%||0.1%||0.1%|
|Leather Boots[note 8]||12.0% (10⁄83)||1.2%||1.0%||0.7%||0.5%|
|Rotten Flesh||12.0% (10⁄83)||1.2%||1.0%||0.7%||0.5%|
|Water Bottle||12.0% (10⁄83)||1.2%||1.0%||0.7%||0.5%|
|Ink Sac||1.2% (1⁄83)||0.1%||0.1%||0.1%||0.1%|
|Tripwire Hook||12.0% (10⁄83)||1.2%||1.0%||0.7%||0.5%|
- All blocks above the bobber must be completely transparent to sunlight. Such blocks include glass and tripwire, but not leaves
- Each tick will have a 50% chance of not decrementing the count
- The bobber must be located in a biome where it is currently raining and all blocks above it must not block movement (e.g. torch, tripwire).
- Each tick will have a 25% chance of counting down 2 instead of 1
- This does not vary depending on enchantments.
- Bows and Fishing Rods caught from the Treasure category will be enchanted by a random level between 22-30, but also badly damaged. Enchantment probabilities are the same as a level-30 enchantment on an enchantment table. These can also include treasure enchantments that are unavailable via an enchantment table.
- Enchantment probabilities are the same as a level-30 enchantment on an enchantment table, but the chance of multiple enchantments is not reduced. These can also include treasure enchantments that are unavailable via an enchantment table.
- Fishing Rods and Leather Boots caught from the Junk category will be 10%–100% damaged, and always unenchanted.
Fishing rod durability
- Reeling in while the bobber is in the air, or in the water, does not reduce durability.
- Reeling in successfully catching a fish, junk or treasure costs 1 durability.
- Reeling in while the bobber is stuck in a solid block costs 2 durability.
- Reeling in a dropped item costs 3 durability.
- Reeling in an entity that's not a dropped item costs 5 durability.
- A fishing rod with the mending enchantment has infinite durability if used for fishing. Due to the fact that experience is gained every time a player reels the line in, the rod will indefinitely repair itself, even if it is acquired starting off at very low durability.
Durability cost occurs on reel-in, rather than on impact, so penalties can be avoided by switching to another item or dropping the rod instead of reeling in.
|Java Edition Alpha|
|The algorithm is as follows: each tick has a 1⁄500 chance of catching a fish, unless it's raining, in which case it's a 1⁄300 chance instead. Rain reduces the average time between catches from 346 ticks to 207 ticks, a 40% decrease. This algorithm lasted until it was changed in 1.7.2.|
|1.4.2||12w37a||Fishing will now give the player experience with each fish caught.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Fishing rewards and mechanics have now been massively changed, with new rewards including enchanted books, saddles, enchanted fishing rods, name tags, and such.|
|Fishing will now show particles when a fish is approaching the bobber.|
|There is now a chance of fishing "bad" items (junk) such as sticks, bones, and such.|
|1.11||16w38a||Ink sac chances have now been changed from 10 chances for 1 ink sac to 1 chance for 10 ink sacs.|
|1.13||18w15a||Added nautilus shells, obtainable as a treasure item when fishing.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.11.0||March 13, 2015||Daniel Wustenhoff tweets an image of the player fishing.|
|build 1||Added fishing.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Fishing rewards can now be enchanted upon capture (enchanted books, etc).|
|Fishing will now reward experience.|
|0.13.0||build 1||Tripwire hooks are now obtainable from fishing.|
|0.15.0||build 1||Added name tags, which can be obtained from fishing.|
|1.4.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Added nautilus shells, obtainable as a treasure item when fishing.|
|1.8.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Fishing loot has now been changed in jungles. When fishing in a jungle biome, the fish rewarded are now raw cod and raw salmon only.|
|Added bamboo, obtainable as a junk item when fishing in jungles.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added fishing.|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Fishing will now have particle effects - bubbles will show up moving towards the bobber, just before the player has something on the hook. This has the appearance of a fish swimming towards the hook.|
|Treasure and junk items can now be caught while fishing.|
- The maximum distance the player can get between the bobber and themselves is 33 blocks.
- If the players cast the bobber into a waterfall, the bobber will float up the waterfall until it reaches the top where it will stay until the player pulls it back in or until a fish is caught on the line. If a fish is caught on the line, the bobber will then fall off from the waterfall making it much easier to visualize when to reel in.
- If the player is underwater, or if they stand right next to the bobber, they can still catch fish.
- If the player casts the line into an End Portal, the line and bobber will disappear, although it doesn't teleport back to the Overworld.
- The player can switch from one fishing rod to another, at any time, even after hooking a fish or snagging something. This means that they can hook a fish with one rod, and reel it in with another. When they reel it in the new rod will take the durability cost.
- The player can obtain the Cow Tipper achievement from reeling in leather, if they have not yet received the achievement.
- If the player casts the line into the corner of a block it will "skip" the process of rising out of the water. This can be used for faster fishing. This is known as skishing.
- The player is still able to fish while using the fishing rod in their off-hand slot.
- The fish or other caught item behaves like a drop and can be stopped by solid blocks.
- When in F1 Mode, the fishing rod will be hidden, but the line and bobber will still be shown.
- On average, to use up an unenchanted fishing rod, it would take about 1625 seconds (≈ 27 minutes), if it is not raining and the bobber is directly exposed to the sunlight/moonlight.