dec: 60 hex: 3C bin: 111100
|“||Want to live the Good Life? With a little bit of graft, you can delight in nature’s bounty - and in a happily sustainable way! The secret is dirt - and what you can do with it. Your average dirt block can be transformed into a ready and reusable dispenser for all manner of yummy foods: wheat, melons, pumpkins, carrots and potatoes.||„|
Farmland is a block on which seeds can be planted and grown.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Plants such as saplings, ferns, tall grass and flowers may be planted on farmland. Mushrooms, sugar canes and cactus cannot be planted on farmland.
A farmland block will be created dry. It will become hydrated if the following conditions are met:
- Water up to four blocks away horizontally, including diagonals.
- The water must be on the same level or 1 block above farmland block level.
The blocks between the farmland block and the water make no difference.
There is nothing the player can do to affect the rate at which farmland becomes hydrated. Each farmland block within a 9x9 grid of farmland with a single water block in the middle has exactly the same chance of becoming hydrated as a single farmland block in an ocean.
Farmland can also be hydrated by rain.
Under certain conditions, a farmland block will "decay" becoming a dirt block, regardless of its state of hydration. This will happen if any of the following occur:
- If the farmland block is dehydrated and nothing is planted on it for too long.
- If the player or any mob jumps/falls on the block (with a greater chance as falling speed increases).
- If a piston arm is extended over a farmland block.
- If a piston pushes a farmland block down.
- If a solid block covers the top surface of the farmland block such as when pumpkin or melon blocks appear.
- If an enderman teleports directly on top of a farmland block.
- If snow falls directly on top of a farmland block .
When farmland decays, crops at the top are dropped as items, as if they were harvested.
- See also: Data values
|0x1 to 0x7|| Increasing levels of wetness.|
The wetness value counts down to 0x0 while the farmland
does not have access to water. The wet texture is only used on level 0x7.
- See also: Block states
|February 6, 2010||Added farmland.|
|1.2||There was a bug that would allow players to destroy any block (even bedrock) by placing a dirt block under a block, tilling the dirt, and planting seeds on the dirt. This would cause the block above the tilled dirt to disappear without giving a resource.|
|1.6||Farmland could not be dug faster using a shovel. Saplings couldn't be planted onto farmland; however, if a sapling was planted, and the block below was tilled, the sapling would remain. This was changed and now the player can plant saplings onto farmland, but they will not grow until the land reverts to dirt.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre5||When the player tilled a dirt block, the top layer was removed, but due to the way tilled dirt blocks were textured, it appeared as if the block sank into the ground. The texture for the sides shifted down instead of the top pixels being removed.|
|Beta 1.9-pre6||Fixed placing fences below farmland blocks making the farmland and crops immune to decay caused by players or animals walking on them.|
|?||Passive mobs could spawn on nearby and lit grass, trampling the crops.|
|1.1||11w48a||Farmland can now only be trampled if the player jumps onto it; walking no longer affects it. Animals, villagers, and other mobs can similarly trample farmland by jumping on it, but not by walking.|
|11w49a||Particles no longer destroy farmland.|
|?||Melon and pumpkin blocks no longer need farmland to spawn onto, as they can now grow on normal dirt or grass blocks.|
|1.9||15w46a||Small mobs no longer turn farmland to dirt by falling on it.|
|1.10.1||Reduced from a full block tall to 15⁄16.|
|1.11||16w38a||Using pick block gives the player the farmland itself instead of dirt.|
|16w39a||Farmland now generates in woodland mansions.|
|1.13||17w47a||Farmland is now available in the creative inventory.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.5.0||Farmland can be trampled into dirt when jumped on.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Farmland now naturally spawns in villages.|
|1.1||build 1||Farmland now generates in woodland mansions.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Patch s1||Added farmland.|
|TU55||CU47||1.54||Patch 25||Patch s5||Farmland is a block if you "pick block" it in creative mode.|
Issues relating to “Farmland” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Ladders and torches cannot be attached to the side of a farmland block, but signs can.
- Farmland will not be trampled when walking off of a slab next to it.
- Farmland will not decay if the player 'jumps' onto it, with a block two blocks above the farmland being jumped on.
- The flowing water that comes off of a source block hydrates farmland just as source blocks do.