Eye of Ender
See § Data values
dec: 381 hex: 17D bin: 101111101
See § Data values
|Blaze Powder +
- Pressing use while holding an eye of ender causes it to fly approximately 12 meters in the direction of the nearest stronghold, traveling through any blocks necessary, and leave a trail of purple particles in its wake, the same particle effect used for ender chests.
- While far away from an end portal, the ender eye always travels upwards to offer an easily-visible indication of the horizontal direction the player must travel.
- When the player gets close to the stronghold, the eye floats in a more precise direction that takes the y-axis into account. This often means the eye travels downward, to indicate the player is above a stronghold and must mine downwards.
- After two or three seconds of travel, the eye floats in the air briefly, then either falls (becoming collectable again), or shatters in mid-air. The Eye has a 20% chance of shattering. The player can throw the eye an average of five times before it shatters.
- The Eye of Ender's flying function works only in the Overworld. It does nothing in the Nether, the End, or in worlds with no strongholds.
Activating end portals
Once an end portal is found, eyes of ender are required to activate it. End portals require a total of 12 eyes of ender in order to activate, though each individual frame block has a 10% chance of containing an eye of ender when generated. Eyes can be placed in empty End portal frames by pressing use on them until the entire ring of 12 is filled, thereby activating the Portal. Due to the fact that there is a 10% chance of each individual End portal frame having an Eye in it, there is a one out of one trillion chance of every frame having an Eye in it thereby activating the portal even if you have no eyes of ender.
|End Crystal||Glass +
Eye of Ender +
|Ender Chest||Obsidian +
Eye of Ender
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
||(Plays upon destruction)||?||?||?||16|
|Eye of Ender shoots||
|Eye of Ender||Namespaced ID|
|Eye of Ender||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID|
The purple particles left by ender eyes have entity data that define various properties of the entity.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
||Eye Spy||Follow an Eye of Ender||We Need to Go Deeper||Enter a stronghold.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||Added eyes of ender.|
|Eyes of ender currently do not have any use.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4||Each eye can now be placed in a portal block or used to hone in on a stronghold. Jeb demonstrated the new uses for an eye in his livestream. An End portal within a stronghold could be seen in the stream with two eyes inserted into blocks.|
|In older worlds with chunks generated before Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3, the eyes may mislead the player to a place where there isn't a stronghold at all. This happens because the eyes lead to where a stronghold should be based on the world seed in the current version, but before Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3 strongholds generated differently based on the seed. Therefore, if the player saved the coordinates the eye traveled to in an old world and generated a new world with the same seed, the player could travel to those same coordinates and find a stronghold.|
|Beta Sound Update||The throwing sound of eyes of ender has now been changed.|
|1.3.1||12w21a||Eyes of ender can now be used to craft ender chests.|
|Priest villagers would buy 2–3 eyes of ender for one emerald.|
|12w22a||Priest villagers no longer buy eyes of ender, instead selling them for 7–10 emeralds.|
|1.6.4||1.6.3-pre||Eyes of ender now lead to strongholds based on the structure data saved in the world file instead of calculating their approximate location via the world seed. Therefore, strongholds generated in old versions can still be found even if the distribution of strongholds is changed.|
|1.8||14w02a||With changes that have now been made to villagers and the trading system, cleric villagers now sell eyes of ender for 7–11 emeralds, as one of their tier III trades.|
|1.9||15w41a||Eyes of ender are no longer sold by cleric villagers.|
|15w44b||An eye of ender is now used to craft an end crystal.|
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID has now been changed from |
|1.12||17w17a||A new pop sound has now been added when a thrown eye of ender bursts.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this item's numeral ID was 381.|
|pre5||The entity ID has now been changed to |
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of eyes of ender has now been changed.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added eyes of ender.|
|1.10.0||beta 184.108.40.206||The texture of eyes of ender has now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU7||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added eyes of ender.|
|1.90||The texture of eyes of ender has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|1.7.10||Added eyes of ender.|
- When in third person view, the eyes of ender fly out from the player's feet instead of their hand.
- The player cannot throw eyes of ender in the Nether, the End, or Customized and Superflat worlds that do not have stronghold generation selected.
- A super-easy stronghold triangulation tool
- JSFiddle Eye of Ender triangulator - can guess location of other 2 strongholds in first ring
- Minecraft Stronghold Locator Eye of Ender throw plotting visualizer - zoomable to show all possible stronghold rings
- Python Eye of Ender throw plotting tool
- HTML Eye of Ender throw plotting visualizer (not updated after 1.9 stronghold placement changes)
- Chunkbase Stronghold Finder (seed-based)
- Amidst - File-based world visualizer
- Find strongholds by analyzing stronghold.dat file