Eye of Ender
dec: 381 hex: 17D bin: 101111101
|Blaze Powder +
To locate end portals (and the strongholds that house them):
- Pressing use while holding an eye of ender will cause it to fly in the direction of the nearest stronghold, traveling through any blocks necessary, and leave a trail of purple particles in its wake, the same particle effect used for ender chests.
- In Java Edition, the eye will lead to the portal room when the stronghold is first generated in the world. If the world is exited and reloaded, the eye will instead lead to the spiral staircase that was the first room generated.
- In the Legacy Console Editions, a thrown eye will lead to a stronghold, but not exactly to an end portal.
- While far away from an end portal, the ender eye always travels upwards to offer an easily-visible indication of the horizontal direction the player must travel.
- When the player gets close to the end portal's horizontal coordinates, the eye floats in a more precise direction that takes the y-axis into account. This often means the eye will travel downwards, to indicate the player is above a Portal and must mine downwards.
- After two or three seconds of travel, the eye floats in the air briefly, then either falls (becoming collectable again), or shatters in mid-air. The Eye has a 20% chance of shattering.
- The Eye of Ender's flying function only works in the Overworld. It does nothing in the Nether, the End, or in worlds with no strongholds.
Activating end portals
Once an end portal is found, eyes of ender will also be required in order to activate it. End portals require a total of 12 eyes of ender in order to activate, though each individual frame block has a 10% chance of containing an eye of ender when generated. Eyes can be placed in empty End portal frames by pressing use on them until the entire ring of 12 is filled, thereby activating the Portal.
|End Crystal||Glass +
Eye of Ender +
|Ender Chest||Obsidian +
Eye of Ender
- See also: Chunk format
The purple particles left by ender eyes have entity data which define various properties of the entity. Their entity ID is
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Eye Spy||Follow an Ender Eye||We Need to Go Deeper||Enter a stronghold.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||Added eye of ender, which had no use.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4||Each eye could now be placed in a portal block or used to home in on a stronghold. Jeb demonstrated the new uses for an eye in his livestream. An End portal within a stronghold could be seen in the stream with two eyes inserted into blocks.|
|In older worlds with chunks generated before Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3 the eyes may mislead you to a place where there isn't a stronghold at all. This happens because the eyes lead to where a stronghold should be based on the world seed in the current version, but before Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3 strongholds generated differently based on the seed. Therefore, if you saved the coordinates the eye traveled to in an old world and generated a new world with the same seed, you could travel to those same coordinates and find a stronghold.|
|Beta Sound Update||Throwing sound was changed.|
|1.3.1||12w21a||Eyes of ender can now be used to craft ender chests.|
|Priest villagers would buy 2–3 eyes of ender for one emerald.|
|12w22a||Priest villagers would no longer buy eyes of ender, and would instead sell them for 7–10 emeralds.|
|1.6.4||1.6.3-pre||Eyes of ender now lead to strongholds based on the structure data saved in the world file instead of calculating their supposed locate via the world seed.|
|Therefor strongholds generated in old versions can still be found even if the distribution of strongholds is somehow changed in a future update.|
|1.8||14w02a||With changes made to villagers and the trading system, cleric villagers would at this time sell eyes of ender for 7–11 emeralds, as one of their tier III trades.|
|1.9||15w41a||Eyes of ender are no longer sold by cleric villagers.|
|15w44b||An eye of ender is now used to craft an end crystal.|
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID is changed from |
|1.12||17w17a||New Pop-sound when a thrown eye of ender bursts.|
|1.0||build 1||Added eyes of ender.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU7||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added eyes of ender.|
Issues relating to "Eye of Ender" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- When in 3rd person view, the eyes of ender fly out from the player's feet instead of their hand.