|Block entity id||
dec: 130 hex: 82 bin: 10000010
Ender chests are a type of chest that can store items, and whose contents can be accessed from anywhere in the world.
Ender chests can only be reclaimed by mining them using a pickaxe enchanted with Silk Touch, or it will drop 8 blocks of obsidian if mined with a regular pickaxe. If it is mined using a fist, it will drop nothing.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Eye of Ender
Ender chests naturally generate in end cities.
Ender chests can be opened by pressing use. If a solid block is placed above an ender chest, it will not be able to open.
Ender chests can be used like chests, except all ender chests in the world share the same inventory, including in different dimensions. The ender chest's inventory is also separate for each player; consequently, items stored in an ender chest cannot be seen or taken by other players.
Ender chests contain 27 slots for storage, and can be placed next to other ender chests without joining.
Ender chests emit a light level of 7.
- See also: Data values
In Bedrock Edition, ender chests use the following data values:
A three-bit field storing a value from 2 to 5:
Invalid values default to 2.
- See also: Block states
||The direction the ender chest's latch is on.
Opposite from the direction the player faces when placing an ender chest.
||Whether or not there's water in the same place as this ender chest.|
- See also: Block entity format
An ender chest has a block entity associated with it that holds additional data about the block. The block's block entity ID is
Block entity data
- Tags common to all block entities see Template:Nbt inherit/blockentity/template
|1.3.1||12w21a||The Ender chest was added to the game and shared the same inventory for all players on a server; Jeb stated that this would be changed to a separate inventory for every player in snapshot 12w24a.|
|The Ender chest was based on a suggestion thread on Reddit. This idea was previously made into a mod by Ecu and ChickenBones.|
|In response to some users' feelings on the functionality of Ender Chests, Jeb planned to test a feature he has yet to specify in relation to them.|
|12w24a||Ender chests now work per-player in multiplayer (holds an inventory per player instead of shared across the world).|
|Ender chests drop 8 obsidian when destroyed, except when mined with a pickaxe enchanted with Silk Touch.|
|1.8||14w29a||Now shows the cracking animation.|
|1.9||15w31a||Ender chests now naturally generate in end cities.|
|Now have their item model rotated, to have the front face in view of the player.|
|1.10||1.10-pre2||Ender chests now have unique sound effects.|
|1.11||16w32a||The tile entity ID is changed from
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 130.|
|18w10d||Water can now be placed on the same block as an ender chest.|
|1.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added ender chests.|
|1.2.13||beta 188.8.131.52||Ender chests now have unique sound effects.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU14||CU1||1.04||Patch 1||Added ender chests.|
- An ender chest's particles exist only in the 1 block radius around the chest, so if the chest is placed next to a wall its particles will not be seen on the other side.
- Unlike chests, changes to an ender chest's name are not reflected in its inventory GUI.
- Unlike chests, when broken, it will not drop the items inside it, due to the fact that the items aren't only in that chest.
- If all ender chests are broken, the items inside will be inaccessible until a new ender chest is placed.
- Ender chests render as a full block when in the inventory, but not when placed.[Bedrock Edition only] 
An ender chest and regular chest in the End City.