End Portal (block)
In Bedrock Edition, it may be obtained as an item via inventory editing or by using bugs.
End portal blocks can be used to teleport into and out of the End. When a player or other entity in the Overworld or the End touches an End portal block, it is instantly taken to the other dimension. If a single portal block is placed using commands, it can still be used to travel between dimensions.
All entities traveling to the End appear on the obsidian platform, recreating it if necessary. Players traveling to the Overworld appear at their individual spawn point, while other entities appear at the world spawn point.
A piston cannot push an End portal block.
- End Portal blocks can be destroyed in Creative Mode. This does not affect adjacent End Portal blocks.
- A portal block is invisible when viewed from underneath.
- End portals do not reduce fall damage. [Java Edition only].
- The top surface of an End portal is 3⁄4 the height of a full block.
- The End portal is one of the only blocks without a conventional texture or entity texture; it instead duplicates and layers a starfield pattern.
- If TNT is detonated on an end portal, no blocks in its blast radius are destroyed.
- Ridden entities (and their riders) pass through the portal without being teleported.
- The ender dragon cannot teleport through portals.
- In Java Edition, the wither cannot teleport through portals, but can do so in Bedrock Edition.
/setblockis used to place an End Portal block in the Overworld, Nether, or in a custom dimension, then the End Portal block teleports the player to the End dimension. If the End Portal block is placed in the End, then the End Portal block teleports the player to their spawn point.
- Items can fall through an end portal, including falling blocks, such as TNT. The items appear in the End dimension.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Block broken||Blocks||Breaking the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||0.75||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||Mining the block||0.25||0.5||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||Placing the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||1.0||16|
|End Portal opens||?||Plays upon portal completion||?||?||?||16|
|None[sound 2]||Blocks||After being teleported through||None[sound 2]||?||?||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Block tags (JE)||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
An end portal block has a block entity associated with it that holds additional data about the block.
- Block entity data
- Tags common to all block entities see Template:Nbt inherit/blockentity/template
|October 5, 2011||The end portal block is teased by Notch in screenshot.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||The end portal is introduced, but is nonfunctional.|
|If obtained through inventory editors, the end portal block uses a gray texture.|
|The end portal can currently be broken using TNT.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 4||The end portal is now functional.|
|The texture of the end portal frame has been changed. It is unknown if the end portal's texture has changed, though.|
|The end portal frame can no longer be broken at all. Whether or not this applies to the portal block itself is unknown.|
|The texture of the end portal item has been changed, it is now flat plane.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 5||The inventory texture of the end portal, with the modifications to the grass block, has been changed.|
|1.4.2||12w36a||All entities can now travel through portals. This may cause silverfish to fall into the portal to enter the End.|
|1.5||13w02a||The end portal block's inventory texture has been changed.|
|1.8||14w05a||The end portal block's inventory texture has been changed.|
|14w25a||The item form of the end portal block has been removed from the game. It can no longer exist in inventories and only as a block in the world.|
|1.9||15w49b||The hitbox height of the end portal block has been increased from 1⁄16 of a block to 3⁄4 of a block.|
|The wither and ender dragon can no longer travel through portals, including the end portal.|
|1.11||16w32a||The block entity ID of the end portal block has been changed from |
|16w40a||The starfield effect has been changed to match that of the end gateway block. It no longer changes perspective with respect to the player, but now remains static with respect to the game screen.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 119.|
|1.0.0||alpha 0.17.0.1||Added the end portal block.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU9||CU1||1.00||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added the end portal and exit portal.|