|Can generate in
Dungeons generate naturally in the Overworld at any level below the surface. For each chunk, 8 attempts are made to generate a dungeon; it's possible, though unlikely, for multiple attempts to succeed.
For each attempt, a location and size (an open area of 5×5×4, 5×7×4, or 7×7×4) is chosen. The attempt succeeds if the following conditions are met:
- The floor area (including under the walls) of the potential dungeon must be entirely solid.
- The ceiling area (including over the walls) of the potential dungeon must be entirely solid.
- The walls of the potential dungeon must have 1–5 openings (2-high air blocks) at floor level.
If the location passes, air and cobblestone are placed, then 3 attempts are made to generate each of 2 chests. To generate a chest, the chosen block must be empty and must have a solid block on exactly one of its four sides. The spawner is placed at the center of the dungeon.
Dungeons are small rooms made of cobblestone and mossy cobblestone and contain a spawner and up to 2 chests. Finding a dungeon without a chest is very unlikely but possible. Additionally, there is a slight chance of a dungeon being found without a spawner. Occasionally, a dungeon will generate with its chests in such a way as to create a double chest. Dungeons generate with either a zombie (50% chance), skeleton (25% chance), or spider (25% chance) spawner. The spawner is always in the center of the dungeon room, with chests located around the walls of the room (large chests can connect with the short side against the wall). Each block of the floor has a 25% chance of being cobblestone, and a 75% chance of being mossy cobblestone.
Each dungeon chest contains items drawn from 3 pools, with the following distribution:
|Stack Size||Weight||# Items||Chance||# Chests|
|Music Disc (13)||1||—||—||15⁄127||—||—||0.236||21.8%||4.6|
|Music Disc (Cat)||1||—||—||15⁄127||—||—||0.236||21.8%||4.6|
|Iron Horse Armor||1||—||—||15⁄127||—||—||0.236||21.8%||4.6|
|Enchanted Book[note 1]||1||—||—||10⁄127||—||—||0.157||14.9%||6.7|
|Golden Horse Armor||1||—||—||10⁄127||—||—||0.157||14.9%||6.7|
|Diamond Horse Armor||1||—||—||5⁄127||—||—||0.079||7.7%||13.0|
|Enchanted Golden Apple||1||—||—||2⁄127||—||—||0.031||3.1%||32.1|
- All enchantments are equally probable, except treasure enchantments, and any level of the enchantment is equally probable.
|Java Edition Infdev|
|20100625-2||Added dungeons. The chests may contain gunpowder, strings, wheat, bread, iron ingots, buckets and saddles.|
|Java Edition Alpha|
|v1.0.4||Added redstone dust to dungeon chests, sometime between its introduction in Alpha v1.0.1 and 1.0.4.|
|v1.0.14||Added the newly introduced 13 and cat music discs to dungeon chests.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.4||Added cocoa beans to dungeon chests.|
|1.8||?||Bread can now appear in groups of 2, because food has now become stackable in 1.8.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||Breaking the spawner of a dungeon will now give experience.|
|1.4.6||12w49a||Added enchanted books to dungeon chests.|
|1.6.1||13w16b||Added name tags to dungeon chests.|
|13w18a||Added horse armor to dungeon chests and removed cocoa beans. Probabilities have now also been adjusted.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Changes in cavern generation will now make dungeons considerably rarer.|
|1.8||14w30a||The chances of music discs in dungeon chests have now been reduced.|
|1.9||15w44a||Added bones, coal, rotten flesh, enchanted golden apples, and melons, pumpkins and beetroot seeds to dungeon chests.|
|The average yield of music discs in dungeon chests has now been increased.|
|The average yield of enchanted books, gunpowder and string in dungeon chests have now been doubled.|
|The average yield of normal golden apples in dungeon chests has been substantially increased.|
|The average yield of iron horse armor in dungeon chests has been decreased.|
|The average yields of name tags, saddles, wheat and bread in dungeon chests have been nearly halved.|
|The average yields of iron ingots and buckets in dungeon chests have been substantially decreased.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.9.0||build 1||Added dungeons.|
|0.15.0||build 1||Added name tags, enchanted books and horse armor to dungeon chests.|
|1.2.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Added music discs to dungeon chests.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added dungeons.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- Dungeons are always connected to a cavern or other structure, although it's possible for the dungeon itself to overwrite most of a very small cave.
- It is possible, though rare, to find connected dungeons with multiple spawners and extra chests. It is also possible for a dungeon to generate over another, replacing the chests and spawner of the first.
- It is possible, though almost impossibly rare, for a dungeon to be generated at bedrock level, thereby deleting the bedrock. In that case, digging through the moss stone can lead into the Void.[needs testing]
- Double-chest dungeons, as shown below, may have chests that form a perpendicular barrier between the wall and spawner (an exception to this would be in 7x7 dungeons, in which the chest cannot reach the spawner).
- Dungeon is the only structure with chest loot that cannot be located using the
A dungeon found under a frozen ocean.
A dungeon found in the water.
A surface dungeon in the PC Gamer Demo Edition.
A dungeon found by an end portal room in a stronghold.
A dungeon distorted by a desert temple.
A dungeon with lava spilling into it from a spring.
A dungeon with a hole in it, caused by a lake generating in the same space.
A dungeon generating without the spawner and the chests in a desert temple.