Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
All ocean biomes except frozen oceans
|— Per Landin|
Dolphins are neutral mobs that live in any non-frozen ocean.
Dolphins are found in groups of 3-5 in all ocean biomes, except frozen oceans. Dolphins continuously spawn as long as their spawn requirements are met, similar to squid. This is different from cows, for example, which spawn upon map generation and then only rarely after that.
10% of dolphins spawn as babies.[Bedrock Edition only]
Dolphins are lured by dropped items, knocking them around and chasing them.[Java and Legacy Console editions only] If the player or other mob hits a dolphin, the whole pod retaliates, just like wolves and zombie pigmen attack as a pack.
Feeding dolphins fish improves their "trust" in the player, depending on the amount of fish fed, increasing their interactions with the player.
When dolphins are fed raw cod or raw salmon, they swim to the nearest shipwreck or ocean ruins. Because they are locating the chest in the structures rather than the structures themselves, breaking the chests causes the dolphin to locate a new structure with intact chests. Dolphins also avoid guardians and elder guardians.
Dolphins can be leashed and be pulled around with it.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Echolocation||Feed a dolphin fish and have it lure you to treasure||Feed a dolphin raw cod and have it lure you to treasure.||Xbox 360||Yes||Yes||Wii U||20G||Silver|
Dolphins have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- TreasurePosX: This dolphin's X coordinate destination when leading a player to treasure, 0 if CanFindTreasure is false.
- TreasurePosY: This dolphin's Y coordinate destination when leading a player to treasure, 0 if CanFindTreasure is false.
- TreasurePosZ: This dolphin's Z coordinate destination when leading a player to treasure, 0 if CanFindTreasure is false.
- GotFish: 1 or 0 (true/false) - If this dolphin got fish from a player.
- CanFindTreasure: 1 or 0 (true/false) - If this dolphin can lead a player to treasure.
|This page would benefit from the addition of an image.|
Please remove this notice once you've added a suitable image to the article. The specific instructions are: Pre-update Bedrock Edition dolphin model.
|November 18, 2017||Dolphins were shown in a video clip during MineCon Earth.|
|18w19a||Dolphins now swim to the surface, if drowning.|
|Dolphins now give the player the "Dolphin's Grace" status effect that allows the player to swim faster, if the player swims near them.|
|18w19b||Dolphins now drop experience.|
|18w20c||Dolphins on land now jump to try to get back into the water.|
|Dolphins now survive for two minutes out of water, instead of ten seconds.|
|18w21a||Dolphins now lead players to treasure.|
|Dolphins are now no longer able to wear armor.|
|pre2||Dolphins are now no longer able to sit in boats.|
|pre6||Dolphins now bring the player to buried treasure more accurately.|
|1.14||19w08a||Dolphins can no longer have armor equipped onto them with a dispenser.|
|1.4.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Added dolphins.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||The dolphin's model has been updated with minor adjustments to the orientation of its fins.|
|Dolphins now have sounds.|
|1.5.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Dolphins now lead players to shipwrecks and underwater ruins.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU68||1.76||Patch 38||Added dolphins.|
- To create the sounds that the dolphins make in the game, Mojang's lead sound designer, Samuel Åberg, went to Kolmården Wildlife Park to record real dolphins.
- If a dolphin is beached on land and in a hostile state, it moves slowly towards its target.
- Dolphins originally had a separate head and body when shown in a clip at MINECON 2017.
- It is also shown in official artwork for Java Edition 1.13.
A dolphin taking damage because it is not in water.