All ocean biomes (except frozen oceans)
|— Per Landin|
Dolphins are neutral mobs that live in the ocean.
Dolphins are found in groups of 3-5 in all ocean biomes, except frozen oceans. Dolphins will continuously spawn as long as their spawn requirements are met, similar to squids. This is different from cows, for example, which will spawn upon map generation and then only rarely after that. 10% of them will be babies.[Bedrock Edition only]
Dolphins will normally swim in groups, occasionally leaping out of the water to get air. They're also able to jump from one body of water to another. They will also try to chase after players in boats.
Players who swim near dolphins will receive Dolphin's Grace for 5 seconds.[Java Edition only] In Bedrock Edition and Legacy Console Edition, the player simply gets a speed boost without a status effect.
Dolphins are lured by dropped items, knocking them around and chasing them.[Java and Legacy Console editions only] If the player or other mob hits a dolphin, the whole pod will retaliate, just like wolves and zombie pigmen attack as a pack.
Feeding dolphins raw cod will improve their "trust" with the player, depending on the amount of fish fed, causing them to interact with the player more.
When dolphins are fed raw cod or raw salmon, they will swim to the nearest shipwreck or underwater ruins. Because they are locating the chest in the structures rather than the structures themselves, breaking the chests will cause the dolphin to locate a new structure with intact chests. Dolphins also avoid guardians and elder guardians.
Dolphins can be leashed and be pulled around with it.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Echolocation||Feed a dolphin fish and have it lure you to treasure||Feed a dolphin raw cod and have it lure you to treasure.||Xbox 360||Yes||Yes||Wii U||20G||Silver|
Dolphins have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- TreasurePosX: The X coordinate that this dolphin will lead you to when leading you to treasure, 0 if CanFindTreasure is false.
- TreasurePosY: The Y coordinate that this dolphin will lead you to when leading you to treasure, 0 if CanFindTreasure is false.
- TreasurePosZ: The Z coordinate that this dolphin will lead you to when leading you to treasure, 0 if CanFindTreasure is false.
- GotFish: 1 or 0 (true/false) - If this dolphin got fish from a player.
- CanFindTreasure: 1 or 0 (true/false) - If this dolphin will lead you to treasure.
|This page would benefit from the addition of an image.|
Please remove this notice once you've added a suitable image to the article. The specific instructions are: Pre-update Bedrock Edition dolphin model.
|November 18, 2017||Dolphins were shown in a video clip during MineCon Earth.|
|18w19a||Dolphins will now swim to the surface, if drowning.|
|Dolphins will now give the player the "Dolphin's Grace" status effect that allows the player to swim faster, if the player swims near them.|
|18w19b||Dolphins will now drop experience.|
|18w20c||Dolphins on land will now jump to try to get back into the water.|
|Dolphins will now survive for two minutes out of water, instead of ten seconds.|
|18w21a||Dolphins will now lead players to treasure.|
|Dolphins are now no longer able to wear armor.|
|pre2||Dolphins are now no longer able to sit in boats.|
|pre6||Dolphins will now bring the player to buried treasure more accurately.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.14||19w08a||Dolphins can no longer have armor equipped onto them with a dispenser.|
|1.4.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Added dolphins.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||The dolphin's model has been updated with minor adjustments to the orientation of its fins.|
|Dolphins will now have sounds.|
|1.5.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Dolphins will now lead players to shipwrecks and underwater ruins.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU68||1.76||Patch 38||Added dolphins.|
- To create the sounds that the dolphins make in the game, Mojang's lead sound designer, Samuel Åberg, went to Kolmården Wildlife Park to record real dolphins.
- If a dolphin is beached on land and in a hostile state, it will move slowly towards its target.
- Dolphins originally had a separate head and body when shown in a clip at MINECON 2017.
- It is also shown in official artwork for Java Edition 1.13.
A dolphin taking damage because it is not in water.