Dimensions are accessible realms within a Minecraft world characterized by a way of generation, biomes and structures, and other things unique to that dimension. Players can explore and discover various dimensions in Minecraft, typically through the use of Portals. With the addition of data packs, players can make custom dimensions to explore in Minecraft.
The Overworld is the primary dimension in Minecraft. It has a wide variety of unique biomes to explore, and is easily the most diverse of the dimensions. Players will typically spend most of their time in this dimension.
Unique features of the Overworld include:
- The only place where, upon sleeping in a bed, it doesn't blow up.
- The most Biomes of any Dimension.
- Biome variants.
- An ocean containing water.
- Several unique ores.
- Many naturally generated structures.
- Many types of mobs.
The Nether is a world containing oceans of lava. The ground consists of mainly Netherrack and is typically considered the underworld of the game. Entering a Nether Portal from the Overworld will take the player to this dimension. Despite the hostile nature of the dimension, there are still times of peace, though these are few and far between.
Unique features of the Nether include:
- Chaotic, messy, dangerous, cave-like terrain.
- Huge Fungi.
- An ocean of lava.
- A ceiling of bedrock.
- Special ores.
- The bartering Piglins.
- Bastion Remnants and Nether Fortresses.
- Increased travel speed.
The End is a heavenly dimension with floating end stone islands, accessible with an end portal in a Stronghold. It is typically considered the opposite of the nether. The End is a barren environment, but it is the only place where some of the greatest items in the game can be obtained, such as the Elytra or Shulker Boxes.
Unique features of the end include:
- Almost no bedrock.
- Floating islands of end stone.
- End city.
- The greatest boss in the game, the ender dragon.
- Custom - The dimension definitions in custom worlds.
- The dimension and dimension type folders of data packs.
- Sky Dimension - The unimplemented dimension that would have contained floating land masses and was planned to be added in the Adventure Update.
- Dream Dimension - A briefly mentioned unimplemented then-Pocket Edition-exclusive dimension.
- The 2,147,483,647 dimensions added in the 2020 April Fools' snapshot 20w14∞.