In the center of the pyramid’s ground floor is a single block of blue terracotta. Underneath this terracotta is a 'booby-trapped' hidden chamber with four chests that can each contain very valuable loot. The trap consists of a stone pressure plate (located directly under the blue terracotta), connected to a 3x3x1 grid of TNT. Setting off the TNT will destroy the chests and their loot.
Desert pyramids look yellow on maps, similar to sand and sandstone, but with a distinctive shape.
In Java Edition, each desert pyramid chest contains items drawn from 2 pools, with the following distribution:
|Stack Size||Weight||# Items||Chance||# Chests|
|Enchanted Book[note 1]||1||—||20⁄232||—||0.259||23.5%||4.3|
|Iron Horse Armor||1||—||15⁄232||—||0.194||18.0%||5.5|
|Golden Horse Armor||1||—||10⁄232||—||0.129||12.3%||8.1|
|Diamond Horse Armor||1||—||5⁄232||—||0.065||6.3%||15.8|
|Enchanted Golden Apple||1||—||2⁄232||—||0.026||2.6%||39.0|
- All enchantments are equally probable, except treasure enchantments, and any level of the enchantment is equally probable.
- 'Nothing' does not refer to the chance of an empty chest. Instead, it refers to the chance that the random loot generator will not add any loot on a single roll.
|Stone Pressure Plate||1|
|1.3.1||12w21a||Added desert pyramids.|
|1.4.6||12w50a||Enchanted books now generate in desert pyramid chests.|
|1.8||14w03a||Desert pyramids now generate with terracotta (at that time called "hardened clay") instead of wool.|
|1.9||15w44a||Chest loot is changed.|
|Added gunpowder, sand, string, spider eye, and normal and enchanted golden apples.|
|Average yields of diamonds, gold ingots and iron ingots are decreased.|
|Average yields of horse armor, enchanted books, rotten flesh, saddles and emeralds are increased.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.13.0||build 1||Added desert temples.|
|0.15.0||build 1||Enchanted books now generate in desert pyramid chests.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU14||CU1||1.05||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added desert pyramids.|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Desert pyramids now generate with stained clay (now terracotta) instead of wool.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added desert pyramids.|
- The desert pyramid’s basement is 21 blocks by 21 blocks.
- The orange symbols on the outside resemble the Ancient Egyptian symbol for Life, an Ankh.
- Desert pyramids have a rare chance of generating improperly causing some blocks to be lost or added.
- As there is no light in the lower chamber, mobs can spawn inside and trigger the TNT trap, destroying the chests and loot before any player can reach it. Also, rarely a lava lake might generate next to TNT, potentially setting the trap off as well.
- A desert pyramid will not generate fully if generated partially on water. When generated on lakes, they are only half-generated.
- The top hole in the pyramid’s ceiling is almost always generated above ground, so buried temples will be accessible, but fall damage is likely.
- When a desert pyramid generates above a ravine, it will have a deeper foundation like the village houses prior to the Village & Pillage update.
A pyramid generated in a desert village. A well is also visible.
A pyramid generated in a normal village.
A desert pyramid generated next to the world boundary in Legacy Console Edition.
A desert temple that has a dungeon generated inside it.