|Catches fire from lava||
Crying obsidian can be harvested only with a diamond pickaxe or better.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools as wielded by players with no status effects, measured in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
Crying obsidian can generate as part of ruined portals.
|Crying Obsidian||Bastion remnant||Generic chest||1–5||19%|
|Hoglin stable chest||1–5||22.8%|
|Crying Obsidian||Bastion remnant||Bridge chest||3–8||12.2%|
Similarly to obsidian, crying obsidian is a resilient building block. It has a blast resistance of 1,200. In addition, it cannot be pushed by pistons or destroyed by the ender dragon. It is used to make respawn anchors, a block that has the function of letting players respawn in the Nether.
When placed, crying obsidian occasionally produces purple dripping particles, as if it is "crying". These droplets are purely aesthetic.
Unlike obsidian, crying obsidian cannot be used as a portal frame.
Crying obsidian gives off a light level of 10, which does not melt snow or ice. Its blast resistance distinguishes it from other light-emitting blocks.
|Respawn Anchor||Crying Obsidian +
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation|
|Block broken||Blocks||Breaking the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||0.75||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||Mining the block||0.25||0.5||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||Placing the block||1.0||0.8||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||1.0||16|
|Breaking the block||?||0.8|
|Falling on the block with fall damage||?||?|
|Mining the block||?||0.5|
|?||Jumping from the block||?||?|
|?||Falling on the block without fall damage||?||?|
|Walking on the block||?||?|
|Placing the block||?||0.8|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
|Who is Cutting Onions?||Obtain Crying Obsidian||Nether||Have crying obsidian in your inventory.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.3||The texture of crying obsidian has been added to terrain.png.|
|February 23, 2011||Jeb states he would like to add crying obsidian as a block.|
|March 30, 2011||Jeb states that crying obsidian would act as a way of setting a respawn point. The idea would later be discarded in favor of beds.|
|April 15, 2011||Jeb states that the grass edge tile has replaced the crying obsidian in the texture file.|
|1.5||The texture of crying obsidian has been removed.|
|February 9, 2012||Jeb states that he will bring back crying obsidian as soon as he's made preparations for more texture space.|
|December 3, 2019||Maria Lemón notes that many players suggest implementing crying obsidian alongside new Nether features.|
|1.16||20w09a||Added crying obsidian.|
|Crying obsidian is currently obtainable only through bartering.|
|Crying obsidian has no function.|
|Crying obsidian produces a light level of 10.|
|Crying obsidian can be harvested with any pickaxe.|
|20w10a||Crying obsidian now uses its old texture when using Programmer Art.|
|20w11a||Crying obsidian now requires a diamond or netherite pickaxe in order to be mined.|
|Crying obsidian can no longer be destroyed by the ender dragon.|
|Crying obsidian can no longer be moved by pistons.|
|20w12a||Crying obsidian is now used to craft respawn anchors.|
|20w16a||Crying obsidian now generates in bastion remnants chests.|
|Crying obsidian now generates as part of ruined portals.|
|20w20a||Crying obsidian is now required for the "Who is Cutting Onions?" advancement.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.1.0||The texture of crying obsidian has been added to the game's files.|
|v0.2.0||The texture of crying obsidian has been removed.|
|1.16.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Added crying obsidian.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||Crying obsidian now requires a diamond or netherite pickaxe in order to be mined.|
- When it was originally going to be added in Beta 1.3, it was going to act as a way to reset the player’s spawnpoint and would be crafted using lapis lazuli. When beds were added, they took this role instead. In 1.16 the respawn anchor was added which is crafted with crying obsidian.
- More than 9 years passed between its initial planned addition and finally being available in-game.
- The community had heavily requested crying obsidian return in 1.16 as a way to respawn in the Nether, as a callback to its initial intended functionality before beds were added.
- According to Brandon Pearce, crying obsidian was added when they wanted to have cracked obsidian for the ruined nether portals. They decided to add it as crying obsidian instead because it was more unique.
- The new crying obsidian may have taken some inspiration from the unused glowing obsidian from Bedrock Edition. This is backed up with it giving off light.
- The team considered having crying obsidian be obtained by throwing obsidian through a nether portal, or by having regular obsidian be struck by lightning. However, they chose bartering with piglins as a way to make bartering useful.
A bunch of crying obsidian placed in the Nether.
Another picture of crying obsidian using a Programmer Art resource pack. This was taken near a ruined portal.
- "It's intentional that you cannot make portals with them." – @kingbdogz, February 26, 2020
- "Block of the Week: Crying Obsidian" – Minecraft.net, July 30, 2020