|This feature is exclusive to Java Edition.|
|This article's name is conjectural.|
An official name is yet to be given to the subject matter and may change at any time.
|It has been suggested that this page be moved to . Do not move the page until a consensus is reached. |
Reason: Officially stated it is not crawling; redirect can stay though
When moving, be sure to use the appropriate tool instead of simply copying and pasting the page's contents, to preserve edit history.
Crawling can be initiated in any way that causes the player's head to intersect a collidable block in such a way that the area underneath the block is less than 1.5 blocks. For example:
- Closing a trapdoor on the player
- Using a piston to push a block into the player's head
- Using an ender pearl to teleport into a sufficiently small gap
- Exiting swimming mode in a one-block-high space
- Exiting elytra mode in a one-block-high space
- Having a tree grow over a player
- Having a shulker box push you down
In these circumstances, the player will automatically switch to a crawling state. When enough space opens up above the player's head, the player will automatically exit the crawling state and begin sneaking or standing again.
|1.9||?||With the advent of elytra, crawling becomes possible. The animation is glitched.|
|1.13||?||Actual swimming is added, which allows the player to access crawling easier. The animation is still glitched.|
|?||Fixed the crawling animation under opaque solid blocks. The player still visually stands up underneath transparent blocks, though.|
|18w22a||Fixed the crawling animation under transparent blocks.|
|pre5||The crawling animation is broken again.|
|pre6||Fixed the crawling animation again.|
|1.13.1||18w30a||The crawling animation is broken.|
|1.14||19w14a||Crawling is now fixed.|
|The player now automatically enters crawling mode when they intersect a block.|
|19w14b||Only the top half of the player is checked for collision to enter crawling, rather than the whole body.|
|Pre-Release 4||Crawling speed has now been reduced.|
|It is now no longer possible to sprint while crawling.|
- In Bedrock Edition, if a player swims through a one block gap and leaves the water, the player will not suffocate but still continue to swim on land, which similar to "crawling" in Java Edition.