- Java Edition
tell <targets> <message>
msg <targets> <message>
w <targets> <message>
- Bedrock Edition
tell <target: target> <message: message>
msg <target: target> <message: message>
w <target: target> <message: message>
- Specifies the targeted player(s) to send the private message to. Must be a player name (or a target selector, but only if the user is an operator in Java Edition).
- Entities other than players are not allowed.
- Specifies the message to send. May include spaces as well as target selectors.
Fails if the arguments are not specified correctly, if any target selectors in either argument fail to resolve to at least one online player, or if a named player is not online.
On success, only the targeted player(s) see the private message in their chat. If a multi-person target selector (e.g.,
@a) is used in message, the list of names is formatted as "name1 and name2" for two players, or "name1, name2, ... and namen" for n players.
- To privately tell Steve to start the game:
tell Steve Start the game!
- To say "Hi" to all online players:
msg @a Hi
|Java Edition Alpha|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.16.0||build 1||Added |