Replaces items in the inventories of blocks (chest, furnaces, etc.) or entities (players or mobs) with the given item(s).
- Java Edition
replaceitem block <x> <y> <z> <slot> <item> [amount]
replaceitem entity <selector> <slot> <item> [amount]
- Bedrock Edition
replaceitem block <position: x y z> slot.container <slotId: int> <itemName: Item> [amount: int] [data: int] [components: json]
replaceitem entity <target: target> <slotType: EntityEquipmentSlot> <slotId: int> <itemName: Item> [amount: int] [data: int] [components: json]
- x y z (BE: position: x y z) (
- Specifies the position of the block to be modified. May use tilde notation to specify a position relative to the command's execution.
- selector (BE: target: target) (
- Specifies one or more entities to modify. Must be a player name or target selector.
- slot (BE: slotType: EntityEquipmentSlot and slotId: int)
- Specifies the inventory slot to be modified. Valid values depend on whether a block or an entity is being modified.
- For blocks, must be
slot.container <slotId: int>) where slot_number or slotId: int is replaced with a number specifying the slot.
- Chests, dispensers, droppers, hoppers, and trapped chests are numbered 0 for the top-left slot and then increase first horizontally, then vertically (so, for example, a chest's top row slots are numbered 0 to 8 from left to right). Double chests and double trapped chests are treated as two single container blocks.
- A brewing stand's bottom slots are numbered 0 to 2 from left to right, its top slot is 3 and the fuel slot is 4.
- A furnace's slots are numbered 0 for the input slot, 1 for the fuel slot, and 2 for the output slot.
- Other blocks which hold items but don't have inventory GUIs (flower pots and jukeboxes) can only be changed with
- For blocks, must be
- For entities, must be one of the following, where slot_number is replaced with a number specifying the slot:
Slot Slot Numbers Restrictions
armor stands, mobs, and players only (though not all mobs will show or make use of the items)
container.slot_number[Java Edition only]
0–53 players and minecarts only
slot.enderchest <slotId: int>)
0–26 players only
slot.hotbar <slotId: int>)
slot.inventory <slotId: int>)
slot.saddle <slotId: int>)
horses, donkeys, and mules only; item must be a saddle
horse.chest[Java Edition only]
donkeys, and mules only; item must be a chest
horses and llamas only; item must be a type of horse armor (if a horse) or a carpet (if a llama)
slot.chest <slotId: int>)
0–14 donkeys and mules with chests only
villager.slot_number[Java Edition only]
0–7 villagers only
- item (BE: itemName: Item)
- amount (BE: amount: int) (optional)
- Specifies the number of items to be placed in the block or entity's inventory slot. Must be between 1 and 64 (inclusive), even for items with a smaller stack size.
- data (BE: data: int) (optional)[Bedrock Edition only]
- Specifies the item data for the item(s) to be placed in the block or entity's inventory slot. Must be an integer between -2,147,483,648 and 2,147,483,647 (inclusive, without the commas), but values which are invalid for the specified item id will default to 0. If not specified, defaults to 0.
- components: json (optional)[Bedrock Edition only]
- Fails if the arguments are not specified correctly, if the specified block is not a container, if selector fails to resolve to one or more entities (named players must be online), or if none of the targeted entities have the specified slot (for example, zombies don't have
- On success, replaces the items in the specified slot with the specified items (previous items in that slot are lost) wherever possible.
- To replace the items in the bottom-right slot of a single chest one block above with four spruce saplings:
replaceitem block ~ ~1 ~ container.26 minecraft:sapling 4 1
- To replace the items in the rightmost hotbar slot of the nearest player with four spruce saplings:
replaceitem entity @p hotbar.8 minecraft:sapling 4 1
- See also