The Gamepedia and Fandom account systems have now been merged. If your username is incorrect, you have accounts on both platforms that weren't merged, or you have trouble signing in, please submit a support ticket.
Java Edition Classic 0.0.23a_01
July 12, 2009
0.0.23a_01  is a version of Classic released on July 12, 2009, at 14:35 UTC. It is the last version of Multiplayer Test. This version is not available in the launcher, but has been archived elsewhere.
- Added a keymapping to control render distance.
- Players can once again press F to toggle render distance.
- Notch planned to refactor the version naming system after this version, removing the second zero and the "a", becoming the format "<major version>.<release number>[_<patch number>]". As an example, since this was the most recent version at the time, "0.0.23a_01" would be called "0.23_01" with such a system. However, this version was never actually given this name outside of this example.
- This format was also used somewhat in Beta.
A world with human mobs.
- IRC logs on Archive.org; #minecraft.20090711.log. July 11, 2009 (UTC−5).
- "Changing the version system" – The Word of Notch, July 15, 2009
- "There are a lot of cool things like this on" – The Word of Notch, July 12, 2009
- IRC logs: "A9:34:54 <08Notch> ok, _01 will be up in a minute or two" (14:34:54)
- IRC logs: "A9:32:05 <08Notch> moving it to an F-key, though [...] well, I could just make it mappable.." (14:32:05 UTC)
- IRC logs: "A9:39:26 <CheeToS> yay, thank you for putting the f key back" (14:39:26 UTC)
- "Embrace the Past with Minecraft Classic" by Tom Stone. Minecraft.net, May 7, 2019