dec: 200 hex: C8 bin: 11001000
Chorus flowers can be mined with any tool and will drop themselves when broken. They will not drop anything when pushed by a piston or water, or when their supporting block is destroyed.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Chorus flowers can be planted on end stone and will grow in any dimension, regardless of light level. A flower will no longer grow once it has reached age 5 (appearing purple rather than white), but may be harvested and replanted to reset the age.
Chorus flowers are used to grow chorus plants. They can be planted on end stone in any dimension.
Placement and growth
Chorus flowers must be above end stone or chorus plant, or be above air and horizontally adjacent to exactly one chorus plant. If these conditions are not met, the block breaks without dropping anything.
- Growth conditions and algorithm
Each block tick until the flower reaches age 5, the flower will attempt to grow if the block above is air. The flower will not age if growth is not attempted due to lack of an air block above.
The flower may attempt to grow upwards depending on the structure of chorus plant blocks directly beneath:
- 100% chance if zero or one plant block is directly beneath
- 60% if the flower is above a two-block unbranched plant (i.e. two plant blocks over end stone)
- 50% if above a two-block high branch (i.e. two plant blocks over air)
- 40% if above a three-block unbranched plant
- 25% if above a three-block high branch
- 20% if above a four-block unbranched plant
The growth attempt succeeds if the blocks horizontally adjacent to and above the target block above are all air, and results in the target block becoming a flower block with the same age while the existing flower block turns to chorus plant.
If upwards growth does not occur and the flower's age is less than 4, the flower may attempt to branch horizontally. 1–4 branches are attempted on an unbranched plant or 0–3 on a branched plant. For each branch a horizontal direction is chosen at random, and if the block in that direction is an air block with more air blocks on all other horizontal sides and an air block below, it is replaced with a flower with age incremented by 1. If at least one branch succeeds, the original flower block is turned to chorus plant.
Upon a successful growth attempt, the chorus flower emits a low-pitched sound, similar to the sound endermen emit when teleporting.
If no growth occurs on a growth attempt, the flower's age is set to 5.
- Flowers and plant height
The amount of chorus flowers a player gets from a fully and unrestricted grown chorus plant ranges from 1 to 8, averaging at around 3.7 flowers per plant.
Plant heights range from 5 to (very rarely) 22 above the end stone block on which the original chorus flower was planted, with over half falling in the range 13–16. Flower heights range from 3 to (very rarely) 22, with over half falling in the range 11–16 above the end stone block.
|age||A freshly-planted chorus flower starts at age 0. The age is incremented when a chorus flower turns horizontally and/or generates additional chorus flowers on the same plant.|
|At age 5, the chorus flower will not grow anymore. A chorus flower can become age 5 at any time.|
|1.9||June 22, 2015||Jeb reveals chorus flowers on Instagram, with the caption "MINECON 2015 HYPE!"|
|15w31a||Added chorus flowers.|
|1.9-pre1||Chorus flowers in the top of the world will no longer try to grow anymore.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 200.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.14||18w43a||Chorus flowers can now be broken by arrows and tridents.|
|1.0||build 1||Added chorus flowers.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU46||CU36||1.38||Patch 15||Added chorus flowers.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|1.7.10||Added Chorus Flowers.|
- Bone meal cannot force chorus flowers to grow.
- The smallest possible fully-grown chorus tree (assuming the growth is not disturbed) would have only 5 chorus plant blocks, and the tree (including the flower) would be 5 blocks high. The largest possible tree would be 22 blocks high.
- When flowers reach age five, breaking them and replanting them on the same chorus plant block (even on a different face) can allow the plant to grow further.