|— Duncan Geere|
Eggs are items that can be used to craft food items, or used as a throwable entity to spawn chickens.
Chickens drop an egg item every 5–10 minutes.
Foxes that are holding eggs also have a chance of 8.5%[JE only]/100%[BE only] to drop the egg they are holding upon death. Alternatively, a player dropping a food item causes the fox to drop the egg.
|Cake||Milk Bucket +
|Empty buckets remain in the crafting grid after crafting the cake.|
|Pumpkin Pie||Pumpkin +
Players are able to throw eggs and deal knockback to mobs, but no damage is dealt, similar to a snowball. Likewise, throwing eggs at neutral mobs provokes them. Eggs can also be fired from dispensers and are affected by gravity.
When thrown by pressing the use button, an egg has a 1⁄8 chance of spawning a chick. If this occurs, there is a 1⁄32 chance of spawning three additional chicks (on average, 1 out of every 256 eggs spawns 4 chicks). In other words, whenever an egg is thrown, there is a 31⁄256 chance of spawning 1 chick and a 1⁄256 chance of spawning four chicks.
The expected value of the number of chicks an egg produces is 35⁄256 or 0.137. This means that on average, spawning a single chicken requires 7.3 eggs, a stack of 16 eggs spawn 2.192 chickens, and a full inventory including the hotbar and off-hand (
37 * 16 = 592 eggs) can spawn approximately 81 chicks.
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation distance|
|Gear equipped||Players||When thrown in survival|
|Egg||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Egg||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
Thrown eggs have entity data that define various properties of the entity.
- Entity data
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all projectiles see Template:Nbt inherit/projectile/template
- shake: The "shake" when projectiles hit a block.
- owner[until JE 1.16]: The UUID of the entity this projectile was thrown by.
- L: Thrower UUIDLeast. Used to generate UUID.
- M: Thrower UUIDMost. Used to generate UUID.
- Owner[upcoming: JE 1.16]: The UUID of the entity this projectile was thrown by, stored as four ints. May not exist.
- Item: The item to render as, may be absent.
- Tags common to all items see Template:Nbt inherit/itemnoslot/template
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|The Lie||Bake a cake using: wheat, sugar, milk and eggs.||Pick up a cake from a crafting table output.||30G||Bronze|
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Namespaced ID|
[upcoming: JE 1.16]
|Hit the bullseye of a Target block from at least 30 meters away||Take Aim||Shoot the center of a target with a projectile from at least 30 blocks away.|
|Java Edition Alpha|
|Eggs currently have no purpose.|
|Java Edition Beta|
|1.0||Eggs are now throwable at the request of a fan as the result of a Twitter conversation about a man eating his USB, if Notch added egg throwing.|
|1.2||Eggs are now used to craft cake.|
|Sound Update||The egg's throw sound has been changed.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2||Breeding has been added, making eggs easier to obtain.|
|1.4.2||12w37a||Eggs are now used to craft pumpkin pie.|
|1.9||15w32a||Eggs no longer damage the ender dragon.|
|1.11||16w32a||The entity ID has now been changed from |
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this item's numeral ID was 344.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of eggs has been changed.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|Eggs can be used to craft cake.|
|0.8.0||build 2||Eggs are now used to craft pumpkin pie.|
|build 3||Thrown eggs now have a chance of spawning baby chickens.|
|1.1.0||alpha 188.8.131.52||The entity ID has now been changed from |
|1.10.0||beta 184.108.40.206||The texture of eggs has been changed.|
|1.11.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Eggs can now be found in village fletcher chests.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||Eggs can now be sold to farmer villagers.|
|1.13.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Added foxes, which can drop eggs.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.16.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Trading has now been changed, eggs can no longer be sold to farmer villagers.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added eggs.|
|PlayStation 4 Edition|
|1.90||The texture of eggs has been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- Eggs break mid-fall if hit by another projectile; the chance of spawning a baby chicken is not affected.
- Throwing an egg at a nether portal breaks the egg when it hits the portal.
- A thrown egg faces toward the player in first-person view while it appears rotated horizontally in third-person view. This is the case for all throwable items (ender pearls, eggs, snowballs, and all type of throwable potions).
- "Taking Inventory: Egg" – Minecraft.net, April 19, 2019