We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Randomly spawns instead of a baby zombie, baby husk or baby zombie pigman
12 upon Baby Zombie's death
Baby Zombie: zombie
|“||It’s a zombie that rides a chicken. This was made by Nathan as a, well, I think it’s partly a joke. He thought it was funny. And they are quite scary because they’re very aggressive. We had a huge problem with, er, when the zombies, they spawn and despawn all the time in the game, but with the chickens, they always remain. So for a while we had a problem that they would just fill the caves with chickens. Because they would spawn chicken jockeys but then despawn the zombie, just leaving the chicken behind. But Nathan fixed that, so now the chicken despawns as well.||„|
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Each baby zombie, baby husk, baby zombie villager or baby zombie pigman that spawns has a 5% chance to check for an existing chicken within a 10×6×10 box centered on the baby's spawn location, and it will spawn riding one of those chickens if there are any. If it fails that 5% chance to check for existing chickens, there is an additional 5% chance of the baby zombie spawning mounted on a new chicken. In a chicken-free environment, this gives each spawned zombie a 0.25% chance of becoming a chicken jockey; if chickens are present, the chance increases to 0.4875%.
Chicken jockeys may spawn with items equipped. Baby zombie pigmen versions of the chicken jockey will always have their golden sword equipped. Provoking the zombie pigman chicken jockey will cause it to attack, like a normal zombie pigman.
In Bedrock Edition, baby zombies can ride adult chickens, adult ocelots, adult wolves, adult zombies, adult zombie villagers, adult zombie pigman, cows, pigs, sheep, horse, zombie horse, skeleton horse, mule, donkey, mooshroom, spiders and cave spiders.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Chicken[edit | edit source]
Baby zombie[edit | edit source]
Baby zombies also have a 8.5% chance each of dropping their iron shovel, iron sword or any equipped armor that they spawned with. The chance of each can be increased by 1% per level of Looting, up to 11.5% chance. The equipment will usually be badly damaged, and may be enchanted.
They drop 12 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf, +1-3 extra experience if the zombie has equipment.
Baby zombie pigmen[edit | edit source]
Baby zombie pigmen also have an 8.5% chance each of dropping their golden sword. The chance of each can be increased by 1% per level of Looting, up to 11.5% chance. It will usually be badly damaged, and may be enchanted.
Like baby zombies, they drop 12 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Halloween[edit | edit source]
If a baby zombie/zombie pigman wearing a pumpkin or jack o'lantern is killed using a tool enchanted with Looting, there will be a chance equivalent to the level of Looting used to drop the pumpkin or jack o'lantern, up to a maximum of a 3% chance of a drop.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
- Chicken jockeys generally run around, behaving like the zombie, instead of using the chicken AI.
- Bedrock Edition is an exception.
- Chicken jockeys fall slowly and do not take fall damage, like normal chickens.
- The chicken moves at the speed of the baby zombie, which is much faster than a normal chicken.
- The chicken will run through 1 block high gaps. If the above block is solid, the baby zombie will suffocate.
- Chicken jockeys can pick up/equip items.
- The chicken does not lay eggs. However, they can still be bred into regular chickens.
- In Creative mode, a chicken jockey that isn't already targeting a player will follow a player holding seeds, like a normal chicken, and can be fed. In Survival mode, the chicken jockey will target a player who attempts to do this, and the chicken cannot be fed.
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|November 29, 2013||A two-image gallery was uploaded to Imgur, and showed a Baby Zombie inside a Chicken. It was also posted to Reddit.|
|November 30, 2013||Dinnerbone tweeted the link to an image of Chicken Jockeys, after seeing the image on Reddit.|
|1.7.4||13w49a||Chicken Jockeys were added.|
|1.7.5||Chickens that are part of Chicken Jockeys can now despawn when no longer ridden.|
|1.7.8||Chicken Jockeys no longer lay eggs.|
|1.8||14w02a||Chicken Jockeys no longer lay eggs.|
|1.10||16w20a||Added new variant of Chicken Jockey, Baby Husk riding adult Chicken.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.11.0||build 1||Added chicken jockeys.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Baby zombie have 15% chance to mount chicken to become a jockey.|
|0.15.0||build 1||Baby Husk have 15% chance to mount chicken to become a jockey.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Added chicken jockey.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Chicken Jockey” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The baby zombie's hitbox is larger than the chicken's.
- Attacking the chicken may harm the zombie instead, unless the player carefully attacks its feet.
- If the chicken moves too close to a wall two blocks high, the zombie will take suffocation damage unless the upper block is transparent.
- Chicken jockeys, like spider jockeys, cannot pass through portals.
- If the zombie happens to be a zombie villager, curing it will separate the cured villager from the chicken.
- Name tags will prevent the chickens from despawning, and they can be bred to spawn normal egg-laying, non-despawning chickens.
- Chicken jockeys can spawn from zombie spawners.
- The wither will attempt to attack the chicken being ridden by the zombie, however the zombie will also take damage even though it is an undead mob.
- Adult zombies and zombie pigmen can also control a chicken while riding on it, though they do not naturally spawn on chickens.
- If the chicken is killed or attacked zombie pigmen will not become hostile.