Solid surfaced blocks with a minimum of two block spaces above them
Kill Adult: 1–3
Chickens are common egg-laying passive mobs.
Chickens naturally generate in groups of up to 4 on grass blocks with 2 blocks of free space above it at light level of 9 or more.
They spawn more frequently in jungles than in other biomes.
5% of naturally generated chickens will be babies. [Bedrock Edition only]
Chickens can be bred to produce chicks.
Thrown eggs have a 1⁄8 chance to spawn a baby chicken. If successful, there is a 1⁄32 chance to spawn four baby chickens instead. If the egg was thrown at a wall at a certain angle, the chicken may spawn in the wall, suffocating the chicken.
Baby chickens will grow up in 20 minutes, although the growth can be accelerated by seeds; each use of seeds reduces the remaining time by 10%.
All baby zombie variants and baby zombie pigmen have a 5% chance to spawn riding a chicken, forming a chicken jockey. Since a baby zombie only occurs from 5% of zombie spawns, this means that chicken jockey spawns makes up only 0.25% of all zombie spawns.
In a chicken-free environment, this gives each spawned zombie a 0.25% chance of becoming a chicken jockey; if chickens are present, the chance increases to 0.4875%.
The amount of raw chicken (or cooked chicken) dropped is affected by the Looting enchantment.
- Looting I : 1–2 raw chicken, 0–2 feathers
- Looting II : 1–3 raw chicken, 1–3 feathers
- Looting III : 1–4 raw chicken, 1–4 feathers
Chickens drop 1–3 experience when killed by a player or tamed wolf.
Chickens appear to wander around aimlessly. When falling they will flap their wings quickly and fall slowly, making them immune to fall damage. Despite this, they will still avoid falling off high cliffs.
While in a loaded chunk, a chicken will lay one egg every 5 to 10 minutes (6000 to 12000 ticks), unless it is (or was) a part of a chicken jockey. If the player is close enough to a chicken when it lays an egg, a popping sound can be heard.
They share some behaviors with other "farm animals":
- They are drawn to light when in a dark environment.
- When struck, they run around quickly and aimlessly.
- They can swim, visibly flapping their wings as they stay on the surface.
- They can be led around by holding a seed, and are also able to breed with seeds.
Chickens are attacked by wild ocelots.
Baby chickens do not lay eggs. Due to their small size, they can pass through openings even smaller than a full block, though not willingly.
When swimming, baby chickens need only one block of air above their heads. Adult chickens need two blocks of air above their heads or else they will take damage when they float up and will eventually die.
If two chickens are fed seeds, beetroot seeds, melon seeds, or pumpkin seeds (or nether wart in the Legacy Console Edition), they will mate and produce a chick. After breeding, the chickens will be unable to breed again for 5 minutes.
Baby chickens normally take 20 minutes to grow up, but the growth time can be accelerated by 10% each time it is fed seeds.
- See also: Chunk format
Chickens have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob. Their entity ID is
- Tags common to all entities see Template:Nbt inherit/entity/template
- Tags common to all mobs see Template:Nbt inherit/mob/template
- Additional fields for mobs that can breed see Template:Nbt inherit/breedable/template
IsChickenJockey: 1 or 0 (true/false) - Whether or not the chicken is a jockey for a baby zombie. If true, the chicken can naturally despawn and drops 10 experience upon death instead of 1-3. Baby zombies can still control a ridden chicken even if this is set false.
EggLayTime: Number of ticks until the chicken lays its egg. Laying occurs at 0 and this timer gets reset to a new random value between 6000 and 12000.
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|The Parrots and the Bats||Breed two animals together||Husbandry||Breed a pair of one of these 10 mobs. Other breedable mobs, if any, are ignored for the advancement.|
|Two by Two||Breed all the animals!||The Parrots and the Bats||Breed pairs of each of these 10 mobs. Other tamable mobs, if any, are ignored for the advancement.|
|v1.0.17||Chickens now flap their wings instead of falling and taking damage.|
|1.0||Chickens can be spawned by throwing eggs.|
|1.8||?||Chickens now drop raw chicken. Before this, chickens dropped only feathers upon death.|
|Chickens will run away when attacked.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2||Chickens can be bred with wheat.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||Baby chickens were added.|
|1.2.1||12w04a||Ocelots attack chickens.|
|12w07a||Chickens have new AI.|
|1.4.2||12w36a||Chickens now use wheat seeds, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds and nether wart instead of wheat to breed.|
|12w38a||Added new step sounds.|
|1.7.4||13w49a||Added chicken jockeys — baby zombies spawned riding chickens.|
|1.8||14w02a||Baby chicken growth can be accelerated using seeds.|
|14w34d||Chickens can no longer be bred using melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, or nether wart.|
|?||Baby chickens can now swim.|
|1.9||15w31a||Chickens can now be led and bred with melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, and beetroot seeds, in addition to regular seeds.|
|15w43a||Chickens can now drop several raw/cooked chickens if killed with a Looting-enchanted weapon.|
|1.11||16w32a||Changed entity ID from |
|Added texture for under chicken's head.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.6.0||Baby chickens were added.|
|0.7.0||Chickens now lay eggs and have a 1 in 8 to spawn a baby chicken and a 1 in 254 chance an egg will hatch 4 chickens.|
|0.8.0||Chickens follow the player if the player holds pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, beetroot seeds, or wheat seeds.|
|Thrown eggs can now spawn baby chickens.|
|0.10.0||Chickens no longer have a black texture on their chin.|
|0.11.0||Added chicken jockeys — baby zombies spawned riding chickens.|
|0.14.0||build 1||Baby zombie jockeys no longer spawn riding chickens, but will check for nearby adult chickens to mount prior to attacking the player.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added chickens.|
|TU5||Chicken will run away when attacked.|
|TU7||Added baby chickens.|
|Chicken can now be bred with seeds.|
|TU14||1.04||Using a chicken spawn egg, baby chickens can now be spawned by using on an adult chicken.|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Baby chicken growth can be accelerated using seeds.|
Issues relating to "Chicken" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- When a chicken is killed off a ledge, the corpse also falls more slowly than normal, and the wings still make a flapping animation.
- Chickens are able to "hide" within hoppers due to their small size, protecting them from lava or water that might be directly on top of the hopper.
- A few weeks before the end of Beta, Notch tweeted that he changed the chickens to ducks, causing a turmoil on Twitter. A few days later, Jeb, still getting feedback on the idea, stated that it was just a joke.
- While you are loading/creating/exiting a world on Legacy Console Edition, the message that appears can say "Is it a Chicken, or a duck?". Also, the summary for the mobs avatars at the end says "... and a chicken... Or is it a duck?".
- The changelog for Pocket Edition 0.3.0 referred to chickens as ducks.
- “Also, the chicken is now a duck.” – @notch, October 28, 2011
- “@NationalStupid1 It was a joke” – @jeb_, November 2, 2011