Height: 0.5 Blocks
Cave spiders inherit most of their behavior from regular spiders:
- Neutral under daylight or in light levels of 9 or above, otherwise they are hostile. However, once they become hostile, light does not affect them.
- Can climb walls when needed.
- Attack by leaping at their targeted entity.
- Are unaffected by cobwebs and poison.
- Can spawn spider jockeys in the Bedrock Edition.
However, they have some distinctions from regular spiders:
- Can fit through a space that is one block wide and ½ block tall.
- Can go through the spaces between two different types of (unconnected) fences.
- Cannot spawn with status effects.
On normal or hard difficulty, cave spiders inflict
Poison upon attacking. On normal difficulty, the poison lasts for 7 seconds and can cause up to 4 () damage. On hard difficulty, it lasts for 15 seconds and can cause up to 10 () damage. Note that even on hard, poison damage is not taken when health is at 1 ().
- See also: Chunk format
Cave spiders have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob. Their entity ID is
|Icon||Advancement||In-game description||Parent||Actual requirements (if different)||Internal ID|
|Adventure||Adventure, exploration, and combat||—||Kill any entity, or be killed by any entity.||
|Monster Hunter||Kill any hostile monster||Adventure||Kill one of these 24 mobs. Other mobs are ignored for this advancement.||
|Monsters Hunted||Kill one of every hostile monster||Monster Hunter||Kill each of these 24 mobs. Other mobs may be killed, but are ignored for the advancement.||
|1.8||Pre-release||Added Cave spiders.|
|1.0.0||?||Cave spiders' health points reduced from 20 () to 12 ().|
|1.2.1||12w06a||Cave spiders swim extremely fast with the water stream towards the player, but seem to be almost not moving against the water stream. They can also climb ice blocks.|
|1.8||14w06a||Cave spiders can no longer draw line of sight through opaque blocks, and have been given the new AI that regular spiders have recieved.|
|14w11a||Cave spiders now run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|?||Cave spiders' venom is no longer neutralized by splash potions of weakness, which may or may not be a bug.|
|1.8.1||pre1||Cave spiders no longer run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|1.11||16w32a||Cave spiders' entity ID is changed from
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.11.0||build 1||Added Cave spiders.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Cave spiders now have a walking sound.|
|build 1||Cave spiders now drop spider eyes.|
|1.1||build 1||Cave spiders' entity ID is changed from
|Poison time from attack is now based on difficulty.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU5||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added Cave spiders.|
|TU12||Cave spiders swim extremely fast with the water stream towards the player, but seem to be almost motionless against the water stream. They can also climb ice blocks.|
- While a cave spider's hitbox is only 13.9% the volume of a normal spider's, its model's volume is 34.3% as large. The shadow is even larger: compared to the normal spider's shadow it has an area of 49%.
Cave spider Cave.png
A Cave spider and its spawner.