Cave game tech test
Cave Game tech demo
May 10–13, 2009
Cave game tech test  is the name of a video released by Notch on May 13, 2009. While the version shown was never publicly available to play, it was developed from May 10, 2009, and showcased on May 13, 2009. It is the first known version of Minecraft, or Cave Game, as it was referred to in this time period.
- Only 2 light levels
- World generation
- 256×64×256 tile map.
- Reached down until a few blocks before the last layer of cobblestone, making a ravine.
- Creative mode
- This was an extremely basic version of it. The player could not fly or place blocks and there was no inventory or hotbar to get them from.
- The player
- Currently has no visible model.
- Has a height of 1.7 blocks.
- Not listed internally as a block at this time.
- Made with the same graphics from Notch's game RubyDung.
- Made with the same graphics from RubyDung.
- Only generates on tiles that are lit.
The Cave Game code was edited multiple times during the time it was developed. Here is a list of all known edits to the code:
- May 10, 2009: Game first developed.
- May 12, 2009: Fixed a performance issue.
- May 13, 2009 (17:41 UTC): Notch made it only update two chunks per frame. The game generates blank chunks and the FPS is inaccurate.
- May 13, 2009 (17:48 UTC): Game now runs smoother.
- May 13, 2009 (17:51 UTC): Chunks have been changed from 8×8×8 to 16×16, and chunks near the player will load first. This was the build that Notch showcased on his YouTube channel.
- Cave Game tech demo! – The Word of Notch
- "Cave game tech test" – via YouTube (Archive)
- "About the game" by Mojang AB. Minecraft, March 1, 2010.
- "lwjgl IRC logs" – Echelog, May 13, 2009. "<Notch> i was trying to narrow down a performance issue last night.".
- "lwjgl IRC logs" – Echelog, May 13, 2009. "<Notch_> I made it only update two chunks per frame maximum, and it's very slow".
- "lwjgl IRC logs" – Echelog, May 13, 2009. "<Notch_> I managed to force it to do as I want now. 72 fps, 288 chunk updates per second".
- "lwjgl IRC logs" – Echelog, May 13, 2009. "<Notch_> i'll update tiles chunks the player first, and force a full update upon game start".