Seeing as there are many categories here, and there will only be even more in the future, I would propose to divide most of the categories into subcategories. To make it easier to tell which are subcategories and which are maintenance categories, subcategories would have a sort key of "*".
Some ideas would be:
- "Article maintenance" for categories dealing with the content of articles, such as Category:Verify or Category:Stub.
- "Template maintenance" for categories dealing with the content of templates, such as Category:Templates with no documentation (currently only two categories, but it could get more, such as a category for deprecated templates)
- "File maintenance" for categories related to files needing work, such as Category:Broken images or Category:Images violating copyright.
- "Errors" for categories related to improper template parameters and other template errors, such as Category:Missing achievement or Category:Pages with script errors
- "Article classification" for categories containing pages where there is not a goal to empty the category or the category cannot be emptied without further information or development. Some examples are Category:Upcoming, Category:Conjecture, Category:Outdated, and Category:Soft redirects
- "Pending action" for categories about pending requests such as deletion, moving, splitting, etc.
- Support: Bringing this back up again since the category now has 70 subcategories and is rather cluttered. In addition, I think some of the categories can be combined (e.g. Category:AutoUnsigned template used incorrectly and Category:Unsigned template used incorrectly, "Testing needed" with "Verify", etc).
- Some categories also seem to be broken or unused (e.g. Category:Fixme doesn't seem to be used anywhere and was only mentioned twice in talk pages); and Category:History uses deprecated header has nothing even though Special:WhatLinksHere/R has quite a few results (from history template using deprecated headers). -Sonicwave (talk) 18:42, 24 May 2018 (UTC)
- Support. Started organization in my my sandbox, and will try to finish later today (I'll be busy within the next few users though).--Talk to me 19:01, 24 May 2018 (UTC)
- I've started a table, but it's nowhere near finished, so anybody's welcome to add the rest of the categories or move some of the categories in the table as they like. All I have right now is the layout and some basic examples:
- --Talk to me 14:30, 25 May 2018 (UTC)
- I went ahead and split it up - there's been no objection; so instead of waiting 3 1/2 more years for more people to respond, I went ahead and boldly took action. There are some categories that remain uncategorized if anyone wants to help out with that, and I mostly just followed Knight's proposal, so subcategorizing even further (such as the "Easy" category Majr mentioned) might be a good idea.--Talk to me 01:20, 30 July 2018 (UTC)