|Catches fire from lava||
Once the cake is placed, it cannot be recollected even with the use of Silk Touch.
|Milk Bucket +
|Empty buckets remain in the crafting grid after crafting the cake.|
Each cake has seven "slices", and each use consumes one slice. A single slice restores 2 () hunger and 0.4 hunger saturation. Eating all seven slices of a cake restores 14 () hunger and 2.8 hunger saturation.
Since eating a cake comes with no animation, cake can be eaten at a rate of one slice per tick. Multiple players can eat from the same cake at the same time. In Java Edition, eating cake makes no sound, unlike other foods.
Note: Tables for block loot info are currently a work in progress. Please refer to this community portal discussion for more information and to provide feedback.
Pandas move towards a dropped cake, to pick up and eat it.
Placing a cake into a composter raises the compost level by 1.
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
||(Plays when fallen on from a height)||Blocks||0.75||0.5||16|
In Bedrock Edition, cake uses the following data values:
|0||Whole intact cake|
|1||1 piece eaten|
|2||2 pieces eaten|
|3||3 pieces eaten|
|4||4 pieces eaten|
|5||5 pieces eaten|
|6||6 pieces eaten|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|Number of bites taken from the cake.|
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Bedrock||Legacy Console editions|
|The Lie||Wheat, sugar, milk, and eggs!||Pick up a cake from a crafting table output.||Alt||Yes||PS3||Yes||40G||Silver|
|Java Edition Beta|
|November 23, 2010||Notch stated if Minecraft won the 2010 Indie of the Year Awards, he would add cake to Minecraft.|
|1.2||Since Minecraft won the title, cake has now been added, healing 18 × 9.|
|1.5||Achievements have now been added, including "The Lie", which is rewarded when the player crafts a cake.|
|1.8||Pre-release||Cake now restores 12 ().|
|1.2.1||?||When cake is crafted, the empty buckets are now moved to the player's inventory, rather than staying in the crafting grid.|
|1.7.2||13w37a||The item form of block ID 92 (cake) has now been removed from the game. It no longer exists in inventories, but as a block in the world.|
|1.8||14w02a||Farmer villagers now sell 1 cake for 1 emerald.|
|14w28a||Cake slices have now been increased from 6 to 7.|
|Cake now emits a comparator signal.|
|When cake is crafted, empty buckets now stay in the crafting table.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 92, and the item's 354.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of cake has now been changed.|
|Cakes can now be eaten by pandas when they are thrown to them.|
|19w03a||Placing a cake into the new composter now raises the compost level by 1.|
|19w08a||The texture of cake items has now been changed, once again.|
|May 17–20, 2019||Cakes now display a "10" above them, textured with white concrete, to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the first public version of Minecraft (0.0.11a) being released.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.7.0||Added cake, which restores 18 × 9.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Cake now restore 12 ().|
|0.14.0||build 1||Cake can now be used to emit a comparator signal.|
|1.0.4||alpha 184.108.40.206||Farmer villagers now sell cake for one emerald.|
|1.4.0||beta 220.127.116.11||Cake can now be found inside buried treasure chests.|
|1.8.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Cake, as a dropped item, can now be eaten by pandas.|
|1.10.0||beta 22.214.171.124||The texture of cake has now been changed.|
|1.11.0||beta 126.96.36.199||Cake can now be used to fill up composters.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||Cake sold by farmers now has a 50% chance to cost 8 emeralds.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||The texture of cake items has now been changed, once again.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||Cake trades from farmer villagers have now been reverted.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added cake.|
|TU6||Cake has now been made stackable, as a then-version exclusive.|
|1.90||The texture of cake has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- Because cake is only 7⁄8 blocks wide, it is possible to stand on the edge of a block beneath a cake.
- Cake destroys falling blocks if placed under them, similar to a torch.
- It is possible to place cake on top of cake by placing a cake on the ground, then placing another cake on the side of a block above and to the side of the first cake, similar to placing torches on a chest. Eating the lower cake causes the upper cake to disappear, same as mining out the block of cake it is sitting on.
- It is also possible to place cakes (or any other block) on top of cakes by sneaking and placing a cake on top of another cake
- Mobs on top rotate while attempting to move, a pathfinding oversight shared with fences.
- If cake is placed in a one deep hole, players can get across the hole without jumping, although a player standing on the cake must jump to get out of the hole.
- Cake can be used to create a functioning staircase, by placing a cake on each level of a 1 block by 1 block incline. This would be one of the most labor intensive staircases available, given the requirements to craft a cake, compared to all other possible methods for creating a staircase.
- Cake was added to Minecraft following the ModDB 2010 Indie of the Year Awards. Notch agreed to add cake to Minecraft if it won, which led to a campaign called "The Quest For Cake". Minecraft won 3 of the 7 awards, including the "Indie of the Year" award.
- Placing a cake makes the same sound as placing wool.
- The player can place cake on top of a bed, and while sleeping, the cake shows on your screen as if it were on top of your head.
- The name of the achievement is a reference to the internet meme "The Cake is a Lie", which originated from Valve's game, Portal.
- On May 17, 2019, for the 10th anniversary of Minecraft, the cake model was changed to display a "10" above it, made of white concrete.
- In Bedrock Edition, only the second slice of cake shows the inside of the cake texture. The rest of the slices show the side of the cake.
The 10-years cake model placed in the world.