The Gamepedia and Fandom account systems have now been merged. If your username is incorrect, you have accounts on both platforms that weren't merged, or you have trouble signing in, please submit a support ticket.
|Catches fire from lava||
Cake is a food block that can be eaten by the player.
Once the cake is placed, it cannot be recollected even with the use of Silk Touch.
|Milk Bucket +
|Empty buckets remain in the crafting grid after crafting the cake.|
Each cake has seven "slices"; each use consumes one slice progressing inward from the west. A single slice restores 2 () hunger and 0.4 hunger saturation. Eating all seven slices of a cake restores 14 ( × 7) hunger and 2.8 hunger saturation.
Since eating a cake comes with no animation, cake can be eaten at a rate of one slice per tick. Multiple players can eat from the same cake at the same time. In Java Edition, eating cake makes no sound, unlike other foods.
Some pandas will move toward a dropped cake, to pick up and eat it. Some may not, depending on where you put the cake.
Placing a cake into a composter raises the compost level by 1.
|This page would benefit from the addition of more sounds.|
Please remove this notice once you've added suitable sounds to the article. The specific instructions are: bedrock: Sound when eaten
|Sound||Subtitle||Namespaced ID||Subtitle ID||Source||Pitch||Volume||Attenuation distance|
||(Plays when fallen on from a height)||Blocks||0.75||0.5||16|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Cake||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
In Bedrock Edition, cake uses the following data values:
|0||Whole intact cake|
|1||1 piece eaten|
|2||2 pieces eaten|
|3||3 pieces eaten|
|4||4 pieces eaten|
|5||5 pieces eaten|
|6||6 pieces eaten|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|Number of bites taken from the cake.|
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Gamerscore earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|The Lie||Bake a cake using: wheat, sugar, milk, and eggs.||Pick up a cake from a crafting table output.||30G||Bronze|
|Java Edition Beta|
|November 23, 2010||Notch stated if Minecraft won the 2010 Indie of the Year Awards, he would add cake to Minecraft.|
Since Minecraft won the title, cake has been added.
|Cake heals 18 × 9.|
|Cakes with six and seven bites exist, but are not accessible.|
Cakes with eight through fifteen bites also exist. These have a glitched appearance, with misaligned cake textures as well as a purple missing texture on the bottom (as the texture next to the bottom of the cake on terrain.png, which it overflows to, is itself missing).
|1.5||Achievements have been added, including "The Lie", which is rewarded when the player crafts a cake.|
The cake side texture shown from underneath has flipped to the other side.
|1.8||Pre-release||Cake now restores 12 ( × 6).|
Cakes with data 8 through 15 now use the red mushroom block texture with the addition of the red mushroom block.
|1.2.1||?||When cake is crafted, the empty buckets are now moved to the player's inventory, rather than staying in the crafting grid.|
|1.5||13w02a||Cakes now use the inside texture for all of its sides.|
With the advent of major changes in texture storage and architecture, overeaten cakes now display other parts of cakes as well as part of a crop texture.
|13w03a||Cakes now use the outside side texture for the sides again.|
Overeaten cakes now display a different part of the cake texture than before.
|From this version up until 14w08a, overeaten cakes start to draw from the textures next to them on the texture atlas, in much the same way they previously did with terrain.png. However, as texture atlases are unstable and textures tend to change positions as new blocks and textures are added, overeaten cakes change the texture they draw from every time new textures are added, which includes when textures added by mods.|
Overeaten cakes now display a crop texture on the side.
Overeaten cakes now display a part of the powered redstone comparator texture.
Overeaten cakes now display the carrots texture. The inside underside also uses the feet of the cauldron.
|1.7.2||13w37a||The item form of block ID 92 (cake) has been removed from the game. It no longer exists in inventories, but as a block in the world.|
Overeaten cakes now display a part of the block breaking texture, and the texture of the block of diamond inside.
|1.8||14w02a||Farmer villagers now sell 1 cake for 1 emerald.|
|14w10a||Cakes with data values 7 and above now display as full missing texture cubes.|
|14w28a||Cake slices available when eating cakes have been increased from 6 to 7, allowing the 6-bites cake to be obtained legitimately.|
|Cake now emits a comparator signal.|
|When cake is crafted, empty buckets now stay in the crafting table.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 92, and the item's 354.|
The texture of cake has been changed.
|Cakes can now be eaten by pandas when they are thrown to them.|
|19w03a||Placing a cake into the new composter now raises the compost level by 1.|
|19w08a||The texture of cake items has been changed, once again.|
|May 17–20, 2019||Cakes now display a "10" above them, textured with white concrete, to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the first public version of Minecraft (0.0.11a) being released.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|Cake restores 18 × 9.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Cake now restore 12 ( × 6).|
|0.14.0||build 1||Cake can now be used to emit a comparator signal.|
|1.0.4||alpha 220.127.116.11||Farmer villagers now sell cake for one emerald.|
|1.4.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Cake can now be found inside buried treasure chests.|
|1.8.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Cake, as a dropped item, can now be eaten by pandas.|
|1.10.0||beta 126.96.36.199|| |
The texture of cake has been changed.
|1.11.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Cake can now be used to fill up composters.|
|beta 184.108.40.206||Cake sold by farmers now has a 50% chance to cost 8 emeralds.|
|beta 220.127.116.11||The texture of cake items has been changed, once again.|
|beta 18.104.22.168||Cake trades from farmer villagers have been reverted.|
|?||Cake currently does not show its inside texture on two or more bites.|
|1.16.0||beta 22.214.171.124||Cake now shows its inside texture on two or more bites.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||1.0.1|| |
|TU6||Cake has been made stackable, as a then-version exclusive.|
The texture of cake has been changed.
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- Because cake is only 7⁄8 blocks wide, it is possible to stand on the edge of a block beneath a cake.
- Cake destroys falling blocks if placed under them, similar to a torch.
- It is possible to place cake on top of another cake by placing a cake on the ground, then placing another cake on the side of a block above and to the side of the first cake, similar to placing torches on a chest. Eating the lower cake causes the upper cake to disappear, the same as mining out the block of cake it is sitting on.
- It is also possible to place cakes (or any other block) on top of cakes by sneaking and placing a cake on top of another cake
- Mobs on top rotate while attempting to move, a pathfinding oversight shared with fences.
- If cake is placed in a one block deep hole, players can get across the hole without jumping, although a player standing on the cake must jump to get out of the hole.
- Cake can be used to create a functioning staircase, by placing a cake on each level of a 1 block by 1 block incline. This would be one of the most labor-intensive staircases available, given the requirements to craft a cake, compared to all other possible methods for creating a staircase.
- Cake was added to Minecraft following the ModDB 2010 Indie of the Year Awards. Notch agreed to add cake to Minecraft if it won, which led to a campaign called "The Quest For Cake". Minecraft won 3 of the 7 awards, including the "Indie of the Year" award.
- Placing a cake makes the same sound as placing wool.
- The player can place cake on top of a bed, and while sleeping, the cake shows on your screen as if it were on top of your head.
- The name of the achievement is a reference to the internet meme "The Cake is a Lie", which originated from Valve's game, Portal.
- On May 17, 2019, for the 10th anniversary of Minecraft, the cake model was changed to display a "10" above it, made of white concrete.
The 10-years cake model placed in the world.