|Milk Bucket +
|After crafting the cake, the milk will become buckets, which will remain in the crafting grid.|
- See also: Hunger Management
Unlike most food, cake cannot be eaten as an item in the hotbar. Before being eaten, it must first be placed on top of a block.
To eat from a placed cake, click on the cake with use button. Each cake has seven "slices", and each use will consume one slice. A single slice restores 2 () hunger and 0.4 hunger saturation. Eating all seven slices of a cake restores 14 () hunger and 2.8 hunger saturation.
Since eating a cake comes with no animation, cake can be eaten at a rate of one slice per tick. Multiple players can eat from the same cake at the same time. Unlike the other foods, eating cake makes no sound.
- See also: Data values
In Bedrock Edition, cake uses the following data values:
|0||Whole intact cake|
|1||1 piece eaten|
|2||2 pieces eaten|
|3||3 pieces eaten|
|4||4 pieces eaten|
|5||5 pieces eaten|
|6||6 pieces eaten|
- See also: Block states
||Number of bites taken from the cake.|
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|The Lie||Wheat, sugar, milk, and eggs!||Pick up a cake from a crafting table output.||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||40G||Silver|
|November 23, 2010||Notch stated if Minecraft won the 2010 Indie of the Year Awards, he would add cake to Minecraft.|
|1.2||Since Minecraft won the title, cake has now been added, healing 18 ().|
|1.5||Achievements have now been added, including “The Lie", which is rewarded when the player crafts a cake.|
|1.8||?||Cake will now restore 12 ().|
|1.2.1||?||When cake is crafted, the empty buckets are now moved to the player's inventory, rather than staying in the crafting grid.|
|1.7.2||13w37a||The item form of block ID 92 (cake) has now been removed from the game. It can now no longer exist in inventories, only as a block in the world.|
|1.8||14w02a||Farmer villagers will now sell 1 cake for 1 emerald.|
|14w28a||Cake slices have now been increased from 6 to 7.|
|Cake will now emit a comparator signal.|
|When cake is crafted, empty buckets will now stay in the crafting table.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 92, and the item's 354.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.7.0||Added cake, which restores 18 ().|
|0.12.1||build 1||Cake will now restore 12 ().|
|1.0.4||alpha 188.8.131.52||Farmer villages will now sell cake for one emerald.|
|1.2||Cake is now stackable.|
|1.4||beta 184.108.40.206||Cake can now be found inside buried treasure chests.|
|Upcoming Bedrock Edition|
|1.8||beta 220.127.116.11||Cake, as a dropped item, can now be eaten by pandas.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added cake.|
|TU6||Cake has now been made stackable, as a then-version exclusive.|
- Since cake is only 7/8 blocks wide, it is possible to stand on the edge of a block beneath a cake.
- Cake will destroy falling blocks if placed under them, similar to a torch.
- It is possible to place cake on top of cake by placing a cake on the ground, then placing another cake on the side of a block above and to the side of the first cake, similar to placing torches on a chest. Eating the lower cake completely will cause the upper cake to disappear, same as mining out the block of cake it is sitting on.
- It is also possible to place cakes (or any other block) on top of cakes by sneaking and placing a cake on top of another cake
- Mobs on top will rotate while attempting to move, a path finding oversight shared with fences.
- If cake is placed in a one deep hole you can get across the hole without jumping but if you are standing on the cake you will have to jump to get out of the hole unlike a slab.
- Cake can be used to create a functioning staircase, by placing a cake on each level of a 1 block by 1 block incline. This would be one of the most labor intensive staircases available, given the requirements to craft a cake, compared to all other possible methods for creating a staircase.
- Cake was added to Minecraft following the ModDB 2010 Indie of the Year Awards. Notch agreed to add cake to Minecraft if it won, which led to a campaign called "The Quest For Cake". Minecraft won 3 of the 7 awards, including the "Indie of the Year" award.
- Placing a cake makes the same sound as placing wool.
- You can place cake on top of a bed, and while sleeping, the cake shows on your screen as if it were on top of your head.
- The name of the achievement is a reference to the internet meme "The Cake is a Lie", which originated from Valve's game, Portal.