Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Once the cake is placed, it cannot be recollected even with the use of Silk Touch.
|Milk Bucket +
|Empty buckets remain in the crafting grid after crafting the cake.|
Expert-level Farmer villagers can sell cake for a single emerald each.
Unlike most food, cake cannot be eaten as an item in the hotbar. Before being eaten, it must first be placed on top of a solid block.
To eat from a placed cake, click on the cake with use button. Each cake has seven "slices", and each use consumes one slice. A single slice restores 2 () hunger and 0.4 hunger saturation. Eating all seven slices of a cake restores 14 () hunger and 2.8 hunger saturation.
Since eating a cake comes with no animation, cake can be eaten at a rate of one slice per tick. Multiple players can eat from the same cake at the same time. Unlike other foods, eating cake makes no sound.
Pandas move towards a dropped cake, to pick up and eat it.
Placing a cake into a composter raises the compost level by 1.
In Bedrock Edition, cake uses the following data values:
|0||Whole intact cake|
|1||1 piece eaten|
|2||2 pieces eaten|
|3||3 pieces eaten|
|4||4 pieces eaten|
|5||5 pieces eaten|
|6||6 pieces eaten|
|Name||Default value||Allowed values||Description|
|bites||Number of bites taken from the cake.|
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Availability||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|The Lie||Wheat, sugar, milk, and eggs!||Pick up a cake from a crafting table output.||Yes||PS3||Alt||Yes||40G||Silver|
|Java Edition Beta|
|November 23, 2010||Notch stated if Minecraft won the 2010 Indie of the Year Awards, he would add cake to Minecraft.|
|1.2||Since Minecraft won the title, cake has now been added, healing 18 × 9.|
|1.5||Achievements have now been added, including "The Lie", which is rewarded when the player crafts a cake.|
|1.8||?||Cake will now restore 12 ().|
|1.2.1||?||When cake is crafted, the empty buckets are now moved to the player's inventory, rather than staying in the crafting grid.|
|1.7.2||13w37a||The item form of block ID 92 (cake) has now been removed from the game. It no longer exists in inventories, but as a block in the world.|
|1.8||14w02a||Farmer villagers will now sell 1 cake for 1 emerald.|
|14w28a||Cake slices have now been increased from 6 to 7.|
|Cake will now emit a comparator signal.|
|When cake is crafted, empty buckets will now stay in the crafting table.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 92, and the item's 354.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of cake has now been changed.|
|Pandas eat cakes thrown to them.|
|19w03a||Placing a cake into the new composter will now raise the compost level by 1.|
|19w08a||The texture of cake has now been changed, once again.|
|May 17–20, 2019||Cakes will now display a "10" above them, textured with white concrete, to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the first public version of Minecraft (0.0.11a) being released.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.7.0||Added cake, which restores 18 × 9.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Cake will now restore 12 ().|
|0.14.0||build 1||Cake can now be used to emit a comparator signal.|
|1.0.4||alpha 126.96.36.199||Farmer villagers will now sell cake for one emerald.|
|1.4.0||beta 188.8.131.52||Cake can now be found inside buried treasure chests.|
|1.8.0||beta 184.108.40.206||Cake, as a dropped item, can now be eaten by pandas.|
|1.10.0||beta 220.127.116.11||The texture of cake has now been changed.|
|1.11.0||beta 18.104.22.168||Cake can now be used to fill up composters.|
|beta 22.214.171.124||Cake sold by farmers will now have a 50% chance to cost 8 emeralds.|
|beta 126.96.36.199||The texture of cake again has now been changed, once again.|
|beta 188.8.131.52||Cake trades from farmer villagers have now been reverted.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU1||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added cake.|
|TU6||Cake has now been made stackable, as a then-version exclusive.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
- Because cake is only 7⁄8 blocks wide, it is possible to stand on the edge of a block beneath a cake.
- Cake destroys falling blocks if placed under them, similar to a torch.
- It is possible to place cake on top of cake by placing a cake on the ground, then placing another cake on the side of a block above and to the side of the first cake, similar to placing torches on a chest. Eating the lower cake causes the upper cake to disappear, same as mining out the block of cake it is sitting on.
- It is also possible to place cakes (or any other block) on top of cakes by sneaking and placing a cake on top of another cake
- Mobs on top rotate while attempting to move, a pathfinding oversight shared with fences.
- If cake is placed in a one deep hole, players can get across the hole without jumping, although a player standing on the cake must jump to get out of the hole.
- Cake can be used to create a functioning staircase, by placing a cake on each level of a 1 block by 1 block incline. This would be one of the most labor intensive staircases available, given the requirements to craft a cake, compared to all other possible methods for creating a staircase.
- Cake was added to Minecraft following the ModDB 2010 Indie of the Year Awards. Notch agreed to add cake to Minecraft if it won, which led to a campaign called "The Quest For Cake". Minecraft won 3 of the 7 awards, including the "Indie of the Year" award.
- Placing a cake makes the same sound as placing wool.
- The player can place cake on top of a bed, and while sleeping, the cake shows on your screen as if it were on top of your head.
- The name of the achievement is a reference to the internet meme "The Cake is a Lie", which originated from Valve's game, Portal.
- On May 17, 2019, for the 10th anniversary of Minecraft, the cake model was changed to display a "10" above it, made of white concrete.