|Block entity id||
Brewing stands can be mined using any pickaxe. If mined without a pickaxe, it will drop nothing.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
|Blaze Rod +
By default, the GUI of a brewing stand is labeled "Brewing Stand", but this name can be customized by naming it in an anvil before placing it.
Brewing stands need blaze powder as fuel. Each piece will brew 20 batches of potions.
Brewing stands emit a light level of 1.
- See also: Data values
In Bedrock Edition, brewing stands use data values to determine what slots are filled.
|0x1||The slot pointing east|
|0x2||The slot pointing southwest|
|0x4||The slot pointing northwest|
- See also: Block states
||True when a bottle is in slot 1.|
||True when a bottle is in slot 2.|
||True when a bottle is in slot 3.|
- See also: Block entity format
A brewing stand has a block entity associated with it that holds additional data about the block. The brewing stand's block entity ID is
Block entity data
- Tags common to all block entities see Template:Nbt inherit/blockentity/template
CustomName: Optional. The name of this container, which will display in its GUI where the default name ordinarily is.
Lock: Optional. When not blank, prevents the container from being opened unless the opener is holding an item whose name matches this string.
Items: List of items in the container.
: An item in the brewing stand, including the slot tag:
Slot 0: Left.
Slot 1: Middle.
Slot 2: Right.
Slot 3: Where potion ingredient goes.
Slot 4: Fuel (Blaze Powder).
- Tags common to all items see Template:Nbt inherit/item/template
BrewTime: The number of ticks the potions have to brew.
Fuel: Remaining fuel for the brewing stand.
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2||Cauldrons are implemented to be used to brew potions, but are not available in-game yet.|
|September 30, 2011||Jeb reveals that brewing will be done through a brewing stand instead of a cauldron.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||Added brewing stands, where brewing potions took 30 seconds.|
|When the first brewing stand appeared, it had an additional 2D sub-stand for bottles, (see the first picture in the gallery) but now the stands for bottles have been designed in 3D.|
|1.1||12w01a||Brewing time was reduced to 20 seconds.|
|1.7.2||13w37a||The item form of block ID 117 (brewing stand) was removed from the game. It can no longer exist in inventories, only as a block in the world.|
|1.8||14w11a||The model was slightly changed due to the 22.5º rotation limit.|
|1.9||15w31a||Now generate in end cities.|
|15w33a||Can now brew lingering potions.|
|15w33c||Fixed a bug where one couldn't put in a splash potion to make a lingering potion.|
|15w42a||Brewing stands now require blaze powder to operate.|
|15w43a||Now generate in the basement of igloo.|
|Each blaze powder now fuels 20 operations rather than 30.|
|15w47b||Added sounds for brewing stands.|
|1.11||16w32a||The block entity ID is changed from
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 117, and the item's 379.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added brewing stands.|
|1.0||build 1||Brewing stands now generate in igloo basements.|
|Brewing stands now generate in end ships.|
|1.2||build 1||Brewing stands now require blaze powder to operate.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU7||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added brewing stands.|
|TU46||CU36||1.38||Patch 15||Brewing stands now require blaze powder to operate.|
- Even when the brewing stand is not in use, there is still smoke coming out of the top of it (because of the hot blaze rod at the center).
- When a brewing stand is broken, particles from the bottle will appear, even if no bottle is in the stand.
- No matter what potion (including empty and water bottles) is in the stand it will always look like a full red bottle.
- Brewing stands will always face east, no matter what direction it was placed.
- According to Searge, blaze powder being used as fuel was added as a way to not destroy the game progression because there is a brewing stand beneath the igloo, preventing the player from using it before going to the Nether.
The first picture of a brewing stand. A giant mushroom is also seen in this picture.