Join us on Discord!
|Block entity id||
Brewing stands can be mined using any pickaxe. If mined without a pickaxe, it will drop nothing.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
|Blaze Rod +
By default, the GUI of a brewing stand is labeled "Brewing Stand", but this name can be customized by naming it in an anvil before placing it, or by changing the
CustomName tag using the
/blockdata[Java Edition only] [until 1.13] command.
Brewing stands require blaze powder to operate, with each piece fueling 20 operations.
Brewing stands emit a light level of 1.
|Brewing Stand||ID Name||Numerical ID|
- See also: Data values
The bottom three bits are bit flags for which bottle slots actually contain bottles.
|0x1||The slot pointing east|
|0x2||The slot pointing southwest|
|0x4||The slot pointing northwest|
- See also: Block entity format
A brewing stand has a block entity associated with it that holds additional data about the block. The brewing stand's block entity ID is
Block entity data
- Tags common to all block entities see Template:Nbt inherit/blockentity/template
CustomName: Optional. The name of this container, which will display in its GUI where the default name ordinarily is.
Lock: Optional. When not blank, prevents the container from being opened unless the opener is holding an item whose name matches this string.
Items: List of items in the container.
: An item in the brewing stand, including the slot tag:
Slot 0: Left.
Slot 1: Middle.
Slot 2: Right.
Slot 3: Where potion ingredient goes.
Slot 4: Fuel (Blaze Powder).
- Tags common to all items see Template:Nbt inherit/item/template
BrewTime: The number of ticks the potions have to brew.
Fuel: Remaining fuel for the brewing stand.
- See also: Block states
||True when a bottle is in slot 1.|
||True when a bottle is in slot 2.|
||True when a bottle is in slot 3.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9 Prerelease 2||Cauldrons are implemented to be used to brew potions, but are not available in-game yet.|
|September 30, 2011||Jeb reveals that brewing will be done through a brewing stand instead of a cauldron.|
|Beta 1.9 Prerelease 3||Added brewing stands, where brewing potions took 30 seconds.|
|When the first brewing stand appeared, it had an additional 2D sub-stand for bottles, (see the first picture in the gallery) but now the stands for bottles have been designed in 3D.|
|1.1||12w01a||Brewing time was reduced to 20 seconds.|
|1.7.2||13w37a||The item form of block ID 117 (brewing stand) was removed from the game. It can no longer exist in inventories, only as a block in the world.|
|1.8||14w11a||The model was slightly changed due to the 22.5º rotation limit.|
|1.9||15w31a||Now generate in end cities.|
|15w33a||Can now brew lingering potions.|
|15w33c||Fixed a bug where one couldn't put in a splash potion to make a lingering potion.|
|15w42a||Brewing stands now require blaze powder to operate.|
|15w43a||Now generate in the basement of igloo.|
|Each blaze powder now fuels 20 operations rather than 30.|
|15w47b||Added sounds for brewing stands.|
|1.11||16w32a||The block entity ID is changed from
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.12.1||build 1||Added brewing stands.|
|1.0||build 1||Brewing stands now generate in igloo basements.|
|Brewing stands now generate in end ships.|
|1.2||build 1||Brewing stands now require blaze powder to operate.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU7||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added brewing stands.|
|TU46||CU36||1.38||Patch 15||Brewing stands now require blaze powder to operate.|
- Even when the brewing stand is not in use, there is still smoke coming out of the top of it (because of the hot blaze rod at the center).
- When a brewing stand is broken, particles from the bottle will appear, even if no bottle is in the stand.
- No matter what potion (including empty and water bottles) is in the stand it will always look like a full red bottle.
- Brewing stands will always face east, no matter what direction it was placed.
- According to Searge, blaze powder being used as fuel was added as a way to not destroy the game progression because there is a brewing stand beneath the igloo, preventing the player from using it before going to the Nether.
The first picture of a brewing stand. A giant mushroom is also seen in this picture.