Block of Redstone
Partial (blocks light, mob spawning possible)
|Catches fire from lava||
A block of redstone acts as a piston-movable redstone power source that cannot be turned off.
Blocks of redstone can be mined using any pickaxe. If mined without a pickaxe, they drop nothing.
|Block||Block of Redstone|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
|Redstone Dust||Block of Redstone|
To place a block of redstone, use the Place Block control.
Blocks of redstone are always active and cannot be turned off. A block of redstone:
- powers any adjacent redstone dust, including above or below, to power level 15
- powers any adjacent redstone comparators or redstone repeaters facing away from the block of redstone to power level 15
- activates any adjacent mechanism components (doors, redstone lamps, etc.), including above or below, with the exception of pistons, which cannot be activated by any power source directly in front of them
Adjacent opaque blocks are not powered.
If a redstone torch is attached to a block of redstone, it deactivates after 1 redstone tick and does not reactivate (which is normal behavior for a redstone torch attached to a powered block).
|Sound||Subtitle||Source||Description||Namespaced ID||Translation key||Volume||Pitch||Attenuation distance|
|Block broken||Blocks||Breaking the block||1.0||1.2||16|
|None[sound 1]||Blocks||Falling on the block with fall damage||None[sound 1]||0.5||1.25||16|
|Block breaking||Blocks||Mining the block||0.25||0.75||16|
|Block placed||Blocks||Placing the block||1.0||1.2||16|
|Footsteps||Blocks||Walking on the block||0.15||1.5||16|
|?||Breaking the block||?||1.2|
|?||Falling on the block with fall damage||?||?|
|?||Mining the block||?||0.75|
|?||Jumping from the block||?||?|
|?||Falling on the block without fall damage||?||?|
|?||Walking on the block||?||?|
|?||Placing the block||?||1.2|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Translation key|
|Block of Redstone|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Translation key|
|Block of Redstone|
|1.5||13w01a||Added blocks of redstone.|
|The unused locked chest texture has been changed to have a block of redstone texture on the side, due to the redstone block taking up its texture space.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 152.|
|1.14||18w43a||The texture of blocks of redstone has now been changed.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.16||20w10a||Blocks of redstone can now support ladders and tripwire hooks.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.11.0||build 1||Added blocks of redstone.|
|The only purpose of blocks of redstone is to store redstone dust.|
|0.13.0||build 1||Redstone blocks now have a proper purpose.|
|1.10.0||beta 126.96.36.199||The texture of blocks of redstone has now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU19||CU7||1.12||Patch 1||1.0.1||Added blocks of redstone.|
|1.90||The texture of blocks of redstone has now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||Added blocks of redstone.|
- As the block of redstone is not fully opaque, chests can be opened when covered by one. Also, two non-solid blocks, namely ladders and tripwire hooks, cannot be placed onto its sides.
- In earlier Java Edition 1.5 snapshots, its texture was used for the locked chest along with the block of emerald in Java Edition 1.3.1.
- until JE 1.16] [