Block of Coal
Yes, but does not catch fire from lava
dec: 173 hex: AD bin: 10101101
The block of coal is a mineral block that can also be used as a fuel.
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
Blocks of coal can be mined using any pickaxe. If mined without a pickaxe, it will drop nothing.
Block of Coal
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Blocks of coal can only be crafted with regular coal, not charcoal. It is crafted in the same way as other mineral blocks. In the console edition, they are crafted with regular coal but they drop charcoal instead.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Blocks of coal are often used to store coal in a compact fashion, or otherwise used as a fairly cheap construction block.
Crafting ingredient[edit | edit source]
|Coal||Block of Coal|
Fuel[edit | edit source]
Blocks of coal can be used as fuel in a furnace. One block of coal lasts 800 seconds, which smelts 80 items. This is ten times the duration of a single piece of coal and 11⁄9 times as efficient as singular pieces of coal.
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|1.6.1||13w18a||Added block of coal. Smelting time was 720 seconds.|
|13w18c||Smelting time was changed to 800 seconds.|
|13w19a||The texture was changed. Blocks of coal are now flammable.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.8.0||build 2||Added block of coal.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU19||CU7||1.12||Patch 1||Patch s1||Added coal blocks.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Block of Coal” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Cannot be crafted using charcoal due to logical issues with crafting and destroying.
- Blocks of coal cannot be used as fuel for the minecart with furnace.
- A full stack of coal blocks should smelt for 14.2 hours – over 42 Minecraft days.
- That is a little over fifty times as many items as a lava bucket.
- However, you will need 576 coal or 9 stacks of coal to do this.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]